Page 1 of 2
Snow dayyyyyyy
Posted: 01 Dec 2010, 10:30
by gasteropod
Grimsby shopping centre is closed so I don't have to go to work! How's the snow where you lot live? I've never seen it this deep in my life.
Re: Snow dayyyyyyy
Posted: 01 Dec 2010, 11:56
by Markgway
A lot of snow up here.
Re: Snow dayyyyyyy
Posted: 01 Dec 2010, 11:56
by Yi-Long
It's been snowing here since sunday, but it's still pretty light and not too deep. Only a few centimeters.
Re: Snow dayyyyyyy
Posted: 01 Dec 2010, 14:06
by HungFist
I must quote myself and my friend who send this pic to me
HungFist wrote:
Re: Snow dayyyyyyy
Posted: 01 Dec 2010, 16:09
by gasteropod
Lolz, work just phoned me and said not to bother going in tomorrow either, I'm starting to like this snow now! Wasn't so keen on it yesterday when it took us 1 hr 15 mins to get home from work when it would usually take 15 mins.
Re: Snow dayyyyyyy
Posted: 01 Dec 2010, 16:17
by bradavon
Why did it take so long?
We have snow here (South West) but it's nowhere near as deep as some parts of The UK. You can easily work in it. It's mostly just cold.
Re: Snow dayyyyyyy
Posted: 01 Dec 2010, 16:18
by gasteropod
Because there was shitloads of traffic leaving town in shitloads of snow, it always brings the UK to a standstill unfortunately.
Re: Snow dayyyyyyy
Posted: 01 Dec 2010, 16:25
by bradavon
I guess you were driving? I was gonna say why didn't you get out and walk but obviously you couldn't. The snow here isn't bad enough to hinder traffic

. We've cold the cold without the days off. Thanks! It's even been sunny most mornings but still cold.
Re: Snow dayyyyyyy
Posted: 01 Dec 2010, 16:35
by gasteropod
My mum was driving, and walking 3.5 miles home in deep snow, slush, and blizzard in smart shoes isn't really an option

Re: Snow dayyyyyyy
Posted: 01 Dec 2010, 18:41
by HungFist
Silly country. You get a small snow storm and everybody panics. Not used to driving in zero visibility? Bet you haven't even memorized the roads...
Re: Snow dayyyyyyy
Posted: 01 Dec 2010, 19:24
by Shingster
Small snow storm? That'd be the moment we all retreat to underground bunkers, just five minutes of snow is enough to grind this country to a halt!

Although in fairness the situation is a lot different when there's more than 20 people driving about in that snow Hung! (we are a bunch of pussies though)
Re: Snow dayyyyyyy
Posted: 02 Dec 2010, 02:40
by Markgway
It's amazing how every year we're surprised when it snows and are never properly prepared. A few inches causes absolute chaos. It's true that a bit more has fallen than usual for here (where I am) but it's hardly the extreme weather the forecasts panic about.
Re: Snow dayyyyyyy
Posted: 02 Dec 2010, 18:36
by bradavon
We only talk about it because it happens once a year, like when countries never get rain suddenly do. It's almost always exaggerated, simply because the majority of people still manage to do what they need to do.
HungFist wrote:Silly country. You get a small snow storm and everybody panics. Not used to driving in zero visibility? Bet you haven't even memorized the roads...
Give it a rest with your judgemental points of view. You don't live here, so drop it. WTF does memorising the roads have to do with it? Road conditions constantly change no matter what the weather.
Markgway wrote:It's amazing how every year we're surprised when it snows and are never properly prepared.
We've not had snow this early for decades. It's hard to be prepared for events that don't normally happen. Besides, as usual councils are pretty much prepared. It's impossible to 100% grit every road but most people manage to get about.
It's no way extreme here. I'm sure it will be come late December/early January but not yet.
Re: Snow dayyyyyyy
Posted: 02 Dec 2010, 19:01
by gasteropod
I hope my bus is running tomorrow as I have been summoned into work

Re: Snow dayyyyyyy
Posted: 02 Dec 2010, 19:15
by HungFist
bradavon wrote:Give it a rest with your judgemental points of view. You don't live here, so drop it. WTF does memorising the roads have to do with it? Road conditions constantly change no matter what the weather.
Give your optician a call. You need new glasses. You can no longer see even the most obvious harmless joke in front of your eyes.
Re: Snow dayyyyyyy
Posted: 02 Dec 2010, 20:02
by Markgway
bradavon wrote:We've not had snow this early for decades. It's hard to be prepared for events that don't normally happen.
We should be prepared for the advent of winter. In the UK that's just before Xmas but common sense would suggest a plan should be in place by November.
Besides, as usual councils are pretty much prepared. It's impossible to 100% grit every road but most people manage to get about.
Really? The pavements aren't grited where I live. Not even on busy streets.
Re: Snow dayyyyyyy
Posted: 03 Dec 2010, 17:44
by gasteropod
Argggghhhh fuck this shite snow! Fuck it all to hell! My bus wasn't running this morning so I had to walk/stumble through the thick snow for 45 minutes to another village to get a different bus, and then ended up clocking in 10 minutes late. Then when I finished work I had to wait for a bus for 45 minutes and then walk from the other end of my village because it's not the bus that comes through here, my toes are about to drop off

Re: Snow dayyyyyyy
Posted: 03 Dec 2010, 20:22
by HungFist
How cold is it there btw?
Re: Snow dayyyyyyy
Posted: 03 Dec 2010, 21:10
by gasteropod
I'm sure Fins would find the temperature practically tropical

I dunno man, cold enough!

Re: Snow dayyyyyyy
Posted: 03 Dec 2010, 21:27
by HungFist
gasteropod wrote:I'm sure Fins would find the temperature practically tropical
Finns. We're Finnish. Not Finished
People always make that mistake. On purpose, I bet
gasteropod wrote:I dunno man, cold enough!

Life is easy for you Brits. You can without shame admit it's cold . I always have to keep telling people "it's not cooollrrrrdd..." (or, さむくないいいい。。。!!!)

Re: Snow dayyyyyyy
Posted: 03 Dec 2010, 21:31
by gasteropod
HungFist wrote:Finns. We're Finnish. Not Finished


Gomennasai! Sugoi samui desu ne!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Snow dayyyyyyy
Posted: 03 Dec 2010, 23:36
by Shingster
HungFist wrote:How cold is it there btw?
Shockingly cold for this tiny island, apparently some regions are giving (South) Finland a run for its money, it dropped to -22Celsius in the Highlands of Scotland the other day!
Re: Snow dayyyyyyy
Posted: 04 Dec 2010, 01:34
by HungFist
Shingster wrote:HungFist wrote:How cold is it there btw?
Shockingly cold for this tiny island, apparently some regions are giving (South) Finland a run for its money, it dropped to -22Celsius in the Highlands of Scotland the other day!
I'm rather impressed but you don't earn my full respect before you go below -27
Speaking of which (not really, I just need a connecting sentence here) I made an interesting observation last year. You'd think Norther Europeans wouldn't feel the minor cold, while South-East Asians would be burying themselved in clothes when it gets a little chilly. But it's the contrary. The ones who are used to cold are the ones know how to dress in winter.
I was terrified to see those Vietnamese entirely under-dressed and keeping their room temperature around 17 celsius. Throughout the winter, that is.
Me? I come from a cold country. But I'm not freezing. It may be -25 outside, but it's +22 in my room. I'm wearing three shirts and a bloody good jacket while outside. T-shirt when inside.
Re: Snow dayyyyyyy
Posted: 04 Dec 2010, 02:24
by bradavon
I was surprised when I was in Japan to find out they've no culture of central heating, getting out portable heaters in winter time. It gets bloody cold there too. Are you back home then Hung?
-27 is nothing, check out how cold it gets in Sibera (-40). Officially the coldest place on the planet. A place where hot water turns to snow instantly:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11877471
Now for something so funny, you may fall off your chair: "Woman calls 999 over theft of Snowman" -
http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/n ... man_theft/. Check out the police voice recording:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-11910088
Re: Snow dayyyyyyy
Posted: 04 Dec 2010, 04:31
by Shingster
HungFist wrote:I'm rather impressed but you don't earn my full respect before you go below -27

Apparently it hit -28 about a week ago, although that news was in one of our tabloids so not sure of its accuracy! Have you had the chance to visit Hokkaido in winter?
You're not going to impress a Finn with that statistic, they only have to travel up North to get a feel of that kind of chill!
