Snow dayyyyyyy

Literally. Unless it Should Go Elsewhere
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Snow dayyyyyyy

Post by gasteropod »

Grimsby shopping centre is closed so I don't have to go to work! How's the snow where you lot live? I've never seen it this deep in my life.
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: Snow dayyyyyyy

Post by Markgway »

A lot of snow up here.
Image
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Re: Snow dayyyyyyy

Post by Yi-Long »

It's been snowing here since sunday, but it's still pretty light and not too deep. Only a few centimeters.
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
User avatar
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 11928
Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
Location: Japan
Contact:

Re: Snow dayyyyyyy

Post by HungFist »

I must quote myself and my friend who send this pic to me
HungFist wrote:Image
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Re: Snow dayyyyyyy

Post by gasteropod »

Lolz, work just phoned me and said not to bother going in tomorrow either, I'm starting to like this snow now! Wasn't so keen on it yesterday when it took us 1 hr 15 mins to get home from work when it would usually take 15 mins.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Re: Snow dayyyyyyy

Post by bradavon »

Why did it take so long?

We have snow here (South West) but it's nowhere near as deep as some parts of The UK. You can easily work in it. It's mostly just cold.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Re: Snow dayyyyyyy

Post by gasteropod »

Because there was shitloads of traffic leaving town in shitloads of snow, it always brings the UK to a standstill unfortunately.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Re: Snow dayyyyyyy

Post by bradavon »

I guess you were driving? I was gonna say why didn't you get out and walk but obviously you couldn't. The snow here isn't bad enough to hinder traffic :(. We've cold the cold without the days off. Thanks! It's even been sunny most mornings but still cold.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Re: Snow dayyyyyyy

Post by gasteropod »

My mum was driving, and walking 3.5 miles home in deep snow, slush, and blizzard in smart shoes isn't really an option :lol:
User avatar
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 11928
Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
Location: Japan
Contact:

Re: Snow dayyyyyyy

Post by HungFist »

Silly country. You get a small snow storm and everybody panics. Not used to driving in zero visibility? Bet you haven't even memorized the roads...
User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 11:14

Re: Snow dayyyyyyy

Post by Shingster »

Small snow storm? That'd be the moment we all retreat to underground bunkers, just five minutes of snow is enough to grind this country to a halt! :lol: Although in fairness the situation is a lot different when there's more than 20 people driving about in that snow Hung! (we are a bunch of pussies though)
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: Snow dayyyyyyy

Post by Markgway »

It's amazing how every year we're surprised when it snows and are never properly prepared. A few inches causes absolute chaos. It's true that a bit more has fallen than usual for here (where I am) but it's hardly the extreme weather the forecasts panic about.
Image
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Re: Snow dayyyyyyy

Post by bradavon »

We only talk about it because it happens once a year, like when countries never get rain suddenly do. It's almost always exaggerated, simply because the majority of people still manage to do what they need to do.
HungFist wrote:Silly country. You get a small snow storm and everybody panics. Not used to driving in zero visibility? Bet you haven't even memorized the roads...
Give it a rest with your judgemental points of view. You don't live here, so drop it. WTF does memorising the roads have to do with it? Road conditions constantly change no matter what the weather.
Markgway wrote:It's amazing how every year we're surprised when it snows and are never properly prepared.
We've not had snow this early for decades. It's hard to be prepared for events that don't normally happen. Besides, as usual councils are pretty much prepared. It's impossible to 100% grit every road but most people manage to get about.

It's no way extreme here. I'm sure it will be come late December/early January but not yet.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Re: Snow dayyyyyyy

Post by gasteropod »

I hope my bus is running tomorrow as I have been summoned into work :icon_suspect:
User avatar
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 11928
Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
Location: Japan
Contact:

Re: Snow dayyyyyyy

Post by HungFist »

bradavon wrote:Give it a rest with your judgemental points of view. You don't live here, so drop it. WTF does memorising the roads have to do with it? Road conditions constantly change no matter what the weather.
:lol: :lol:

Give your optician a call. You need new glasses. You can no longer see even the most obvious harmless joke in front of your eyes.
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: Snow dayyyyyyy

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:We've not had snow this early for decades. It's hard to be prepared for events that don't normally happen.
We should be prepared for the advent of winter. In the UK that's just before Xmas but common sense would suggest a plan should be in place by November.
Besides, as usual councils are pretty much prepared. It's impossible to 100% grit every road but most people manage to get about.
Really? The pavements aren't grited where I live. Not even on busy streets.
Image
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Re: Snow dayyyyyyy

Post by gasteropod »

Argggghhhh fuck this shite snow! Fuck it all to hell! My bus wasn't running this morning so I had to walk/stumble through the thick snow for 45 minutes to another village to get a different bus, and then ended up clocking in 10 minutes late. Then when I finished work I had to wait for a bus for 45 minutes and then walk from the other end of my village because it's not the bus that comes through here, my toes are about to drop off :angry:
User avatar
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 11928
Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
Location: Japan
Contact:

Re: Snow dayyyyyyy

Post by HungFist »

How cold is it there btw?
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Re: Snow dayyyyyyy

Post by gasteropod »

I'm sure Fins would find the temperature practically tropical :lol: I dunno man, cold enough! :D
User avatar
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 11928
Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
Location: Japan
Contact:

Re: Snow dayyyyyyy

Post by HungFist »

gasteropod wrote:I'm sure Fins would find the temperature practically tropical :lol:
Finns. We're Finnish. Not Finished :D

People always make that mistake. On purpose, I bet :mad:
gasteropod wrote:I dunno man, cold enough! :D
Life is easy for you Brits. You can without shame admit it's cold . I always have to keep telling people "it's not cooollrrrrdd..." (or, さむくないいいい。。。!!!) :dontknow:
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Re: Snow dayyyyyyy

Post by gasteropod »

HungFist wrote:Finns. We're Finnish. Not Finished :D

:lol: Gomennasai! Sugoi samui desu ne!!!!!!!!!!! :o
User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 11:14

Re: Snow dayyyyyyy

Post by Shingster »

HungFist wrote:How cold is it there btw?
Shockingly cold for this tiny island, apparently some regions are giving (South) Finland a run for its money, it dropped to -22Celsius in the Highlands of Scotland the other day!
User avatar
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 11928
Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
Location: Japan
Contact:

Re: Snow dayyyyyyy

Post by HungFist »

Shingster wrote:
HungFist wrote:How cold is it there btw?
Shockingly cold for this tiny island, apparently some regions are giving (South) Finland a run for its money, it dropped to -22Celsius in the Highlands of Scotland the other day!
I'm rather impressed but you don't earn my full respect before you go below -27 :D

Speaking of which (not really, I just need a connecting sentence here) I made an interesting observation last year. You'd think Norther Europeans wouldn't feel the minor cold, while South-East Asians would be burying themselved in clothes when it gets a little chilly. But it's the contrary. The ones who are used to cold are the ones know how to dress in winter.

I was terrified to see those Vietnamese entirely under-dressed and keeping their room temperature around 17 celsius. Throughout the winter, that is.

Me? I come from a cold country. But I'm not freezing. It may be -25 outside, but it's +22 in my room. I'm wearing three shirts and a bloody good jacket while outside. T-shirt when inside.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Re: Snow dayyyyyyy

Post by bradavon »

I was surprised when I was in Japan to find out they've no culture of central heating, getting out portable heaters in winter time. It gets bloody cold there too. Are you back home then Hung?

-27 is nothing, check out how cold it gets in Sibera (-40). Officially the coldest place on the planet. A place where hot water turns to snow instantly: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11877471

Now for something so funny, you may fall off your chair: "Woman calls 999 over theft of Snowman" - http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/n ... man_theft/. Check out the police voice recording: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-11910088
User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 11:14

Re: Snow dayyyyyyy

Post by Shingster »

HungFist wrote:I'm rather impressed but you don't earn my full respect before you go below -27 :D
Apparently it hit -28 about a week ago, although that news was in one of our tabloids so not sure of its accuracy! Have you had the chance to visit Hokkaido in winter?
bradavon wrote:-27 is nothing, check out how cold it gets in Sibera (-40). Officially the coldest place on the planet. A place where hot water turns to snow instantly: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11877471
You're not going to impress a Finn with that statistic, they only have to travel up North to get a feel of that kind of chill! :D
Post Reply