Snow dayyyyyyy
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
Snow dayyyyyyy
Grimsby shopping centre is closed so I don't have to go to work! How's the snow where you lot live? I've never seen it this deep in my life.
- Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
-
Yi-Long
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8616
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:46
- Location: Alkmaar, Holland
Re: Snow dayyyyyyy
It's been snowing here since sunday, but it's still pretty light and not too deep. Only a few centimeters.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
- HungFist
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 11928
- Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
- Location: Japan
- Contact:
Re: Snow dayyyyyyy
I must quote myself and my friend who send this pic to me
HungFist wrote:
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
Re: Snow dayyyyyyy
Lolz, work just phoned me and said not to bother going in tomorrow either, I'm starting to like this snow now! Wasn't so keen on it yesterday when it took us 1 hr 15 mins to get home from work when it would usually take 15 mins.
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30
Re: Snow dayyyyyyy
Why did it take so long?
We have snow here (South West) but it's nowhere near as deep as some parts of The UK. You can easily work in it. It's mostly just cold.
We have snow here (South West) but it's nowhere near as deep as some parts of The UK. You can easily work in it. It's mostly just cold.
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
Re: Snow dayyyyyyy
Because there was shitloads of traffic leaving town in shitloads of snow, it always brings the UK to a standstill unfortunately.
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30
Re: Snow dayyyyyyy
I guess you were driving? I was gonna say why didn't you get out and walk but obviously you couldn't. The snow here isn't bad enough to hinder traffic
. We've cold the cold without the days off. Thanks! It's even been sunny most mornings but still cold.
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
Re: Snow dayyyyyyy
My mum was driving, and walking 3.5 miles home in deep snow, slush, and blizzard in smart shoes isn't really an option 
- HungFist
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 11928
- Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
- Location: Japan
- Contact:
Re: Snow dayyyyyyy
Silly country. You get a small snow storm and everybody panics. Not used to driving in zero visibility? Bet you haven't even memorized the roads...
- Shingster
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 4140
- Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 11:14
Re: Snow dayyyyyyy
Small snow storm? That'd be the moment we all retreat to underground bunkers, just five minutes of snow is enough to grind this country to a halt!
Although in fairness the situation is a lot different when there's more than 20 people driving about in that snow Hung! (we are a bunch of pussies though)
- Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
Re: Snow dayyyyyyy
It's amazing how every year we're surprised when it snows and are never properly prepared. A few inches causes absolute chaos. It's true that a bit more has fallen than usual for here (where I am) but it's hardly the extreme weather the forecasts panic about.
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30
Re: Snow dayyyyyyy
We only talk about it because it happens once a year, like when countries never get rain suddenly do. It's almost always exaggerated, simply because the majority of people still manage to do what they need to do.
It's no way extreme here. I'm sure it will be come late December/early January but not yet.
Give it a rest with your judgemental points of view. You don't live here, so drop it. WTF does memorising the roads have to do with it? Road conditions constantly change no matter what the weather.HungFist wrote:Silly country. You get a small snow storm and everybody panics. Not used to driving in zero visibility? Bet you haven't even memorized the roads...
We've not had snow this early for decades. It's hard to be prepared for events that don't normally happen. Besides, as usual councils are pretty much prepared. It's impossible to 100% grit every road but most people manage to get about.Markgway wrote:It's amazing how every year we're surprised when it snows and are never properly prepared.
It's no way extreme here. I'm sure it will be come late December/early January but not yet.
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
Re: Snow dayyyyyyy
I hope my bus is running tomorrow as I have been summoned into work 
- HungFist
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 11928
- Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
- Location: Japan
- Contact:
Re: Snow dayyyyyyy
bradavon wrote:Give it a rest with your judgemental points of view. You don't live here, so drop it. WTF does memorising the roads have to do with it? Road conditions constantly change no matter what the weather.
Give your optician a call. You need new glasses. You can no longer see even the most obvious harmless joke in front of your eyes.
- Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
Re: Snow dayyyyyyy
We should be prepared for the advent of winter. In the UK that's just before Xmas but common sense would suggest a plan should be in place by November.bradavon wrote:We've not had snow this early for decades. It's hard to be prepared for events that don't normally happen.
Really? The pavements aren't grited where I live. Not even on busy streets.Besides, as usual councils are pretty much prepared. It's impossible to 100% grit every road but most people manage to get about.
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
Re: Snow dayyyyyyy
Argggghhhh fuck this shite snow! Fuck it all to hell! My bus wasn't running this morning so I had to walk/stumble through the thick snow for 45 minutes to another village to get a different bus, and then ended up clocking in 10 minutes late. Then when I finished work I had to wait for a bus for 45 minutes and then walk from the other end of my village because it's not the bus that comes through here, my toes are about to drop off 
- HungFist
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 11928
- Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
- Location: Japan
- Contact:
Re: Snow dayyyyyyy
How cold is it there btw?
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
Re: Snow dayyyyyyy
I'm sure Fins would find the temperature practically tropical
I dunno man, cold enough! 
- HungFist
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 11928
- Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
- Location: Japan
- Contact:
Re: Snow dayyyyyyy
Finns. We're Finnish. Not Finishedgasteropod wrote:I'm sure Fins would find the temperature practically tropical![]()
People always make that mistake. On purpose, I bet
Life is easy for you Brits. You can without shame admit it's cold . I always have to keep telling people "it's not cooollrrrrdd..." (or, さむくないいいい。。。!!!)gasteropod wrote:I dunno man, cold enough!
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
Re: Snow dayyyyyyy
HungFist wrote:Finns. We're Finnish. Not Finished
- Shingster
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 4140
- Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 11:14
Re: Snow dayyyyyyy
Shockingly cold for this tiny island, apparently some regions are giving (South) Finland a run for its money, it dropped to -22Celsius in the Highlands of Scotland the other day!HungFist wrote:How cold is it there btw?
- HungFist
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 11928
- Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
- Location: Japan
- Contact:
Re: Snow dayyyyyyy
I'm rather impressed but you don't earn my full respect before you go below -27Shingster wrote:Shockingly cold for this tiny island, apparently some regions are giving (South) Finland a run for its money, it dropped to -22Celsius in the Highlands of Scotland the other day!HungFist wrote:How cold is it there btw?
Speaking of which (not really, I just need a connecting sentence here) I made an interesting observation last year. You'd think Norther Europeans wouldn't feel the minor cold, while South-East Asians would be burying themselved in clothes when it gets a little chilly. But it's the contrary. The ones who are used to cold are the ones know how to dress in winter.
I was terrified to see those Vietnamese entirely under-dressed and keeping their room temperature around 17 celsius. Throughout the winter, that is.
Me? I come from a cold country. But I'm not freezing. It may be -25 outside, but it's +22 in my room. I'm wearing three shirts and a bloody good jacket while outside. T-shirt when inside.
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30
Re: Snow dayyyyyyy
I was surprised when I was in Japan to find out they've no culture of central heating, getting out portable heaters in winter time. It gets bloody cold there too. Are you back home then Hung?
-27 is nothing, check out how cold it gets in Sibera (-40). Officially the coldest place on the planet. A place where hot water turns to snow instantly: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11877471
Now for something so funny, you may fall off your chair: "Woman calls 999 over theft of Snowman" - http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/n ... man_theft/. Check out the police voice recording: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-11910088
-27 is nothing, check out how cold it gets in Sibera (-40). Officially the coldest place on the planet. A place where hot water turns to snow instantly: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11877471
Now for something so funny, you may fall off your chair: "Woman calls 999 over theft of Snowman" - http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/n ... man_theft/. Check out the police voice recording: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-11910088
- Shingster
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 4140
- Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 11:14
Re: Snow dayyyyyyy
Apparently it hit -28 about a week ago, although that news was in one of our tabloids so not sure of its accuracy! Have you had the chance to visit Hokkaido in winter?HungFist wrote:I'm rather impressed but you don't earn my full respect before you go below -27
You're not going to impress a Finn with that statistic, they only have to travel up North to get a feel of that kind of chill!bradavon wrote:-27 is nothing, check out how cold it gets in Sibera (-40). Officially the coldest place on the planet. A place where hot water turns to snow instantly: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11877471

