Page 38 of 90
Posted: 20 Jan 2006, 13:18
by bradavon
Cool cover art, cack box set otherwise. Who's guessing this was time for "Memoirs of a Geisha"
Posted: 20 Jan 2006, 13:32
by grim_tales

I see what you mean Brad.
Posted: 20 Jan 2006, 13:35
by EvaUnit02
bradavon wrote:"Memoirs of a Geisha"
Have you seen it Brad? If so, was it any good?

Posted: 20 Jan 2006, 13:39
by grim_tales
Memoirs of a Gaiden - eh? Whats that Eva?

Posted: 20 Jan 2006, 14:31
by thelostdragon
In February comes a Jackie Chan-boxset with 4 JC titles. I think "Heart of the Dragon", "Crime Story", "Dragon Lord" and some other JC film.
Posted: 20 Jan 2006, 15:41
by Killer Meteor
The JC set has those three films and the Heromakers doc from the Red Wolf DVD
Posted: 20 Jan 2006, 16:11
by grim_tales
Grr.. I wish HKL would release some of their newer movies and not these chuffing boxes

Posted: 20 Jan 2006, 16:11
by Markgway
I just love boxsets made from leftovers. So much preferable to new titles.

Posted: 20 Jan 2006, 16:56
by bradavon
They're doing both, change the record guys.
p.s - Memoirs of a Geisha was a decent film. It's a Hollywood film remember that but it was well made and acted. I thought it was decent.
Posted: 20 Jan 2006, 17:22
by thelostdragon
I swear to God, if it wasn't for Ken Watanabe I wouldn't watch "Memoirs of a Geisha" at the theatre. I hate the fact that it was shot in English, although it's taking place in Japan. And if Zhang Ziyi has worked so hard on her English for that film and we also know that Michelle Yeoh has learnt Mandarin for CTHD, why for God's sake not study a bit of Japanese beforehand. It's a high-budget production for God's sake. You can expect that from actors. But I'm sure it was some producer's (not necessarily Spielberg's) decision. Also, the original version of the novel is English, too.
But still... Japanese would have been better IMHO.
Posted: 20 Jan 2006, 18:04
by grim_tales
I'd like to see it, but it would seem better if the film was shot in Japanese IMO.
Posted: 20 Jan 2006, 19:08
by bradavon
Guys watch the film first hey!
Is Ken Watanabe some kind of cult figure then?
The three lead actors are fantastic, especially Gong Li.
Posted: 20 Jan 2006, 19:19
by thelostdragon
bradavon wrote:Is Ken Watanabe some kind of cult figure then?
He's simply a great actor.
Michelle Yeoh was good acting-wise in CTHD, but that's about it in my opinion. And Zhang Ziyi is a good actress, however, I'm sick of seeing her as a hot-tempered woman. She portrayed such an innocent girl in "The Road Home" and after that she almost only played the cliché of a Chinese, hot-tempered and fighting woman. in "2046", she might not be fighting, but her character has similar characteristics to other characters she has played.
I admit, I have not seen "Purple Butterfly" and "Jasmine Flower". But heck, I will watch these and "Memoirs of a Geisha", because I am hoping to see her play a different character for once. I know she could.
Posted: 20 Jan 2006, 19:20
by thelostdragon
Oh and Gong Li... she is one awesome-looking hoe for her 41 years.

Posted: 20 Jan 2006, 19:27
by bradavon
You'll be pleased with Zhang Ziyi's performance in MOAG then.
Posted: 20 Jan 2006, 19:34
by thelostdragon
Cool. Looking forward to it. But still... if it wasn't for Watanabe, I'd wait for the DVD which I would have rented first.
Posted: 21 Jan 2006, 23:59
by jimmyscab
Gong Li will be in the Miami Vice remake and the next Hannibal Lector movie ! yay good for her.
Posted: 22 Jan 2006, 00:00
by jimmyscab
LD, do you get HKL review copies ? Any chance of Wheels on Meals ?

Posted: 22 Jan 2006, 01:46
by thelostdragon
I get finished DVDs usually. A "Wheels on Wheels"-review will soon be up. I'm really busy with some stuff these days.
Posted: 22 Jan 2006, 18:21
by bradavon
Do they charge you for these? Do you get covers too? What interest is it for them to give DVDs away?
Since when were they making another Hannibal Lector film, WTF??? AFAIK there's not a fourth book. I enjoyed the last but I hope it's more like SOTL.
Posted: 22 Jan 2006, 19:47
by thelostdragon
bradavon wrote:Do they charge you for these? Do you get covers too? What interest is it for them to give DVDs away?
LOL, no, I'm not charged. I review the DVDs for them.
Posted: 22 Jan 2006, 21:36
by bradavon
It's that simple? As no offence but does your site get that many readers?
Posted: 22 Jan 2006, 23:48
by thelostdragon
bradavon wrote:It's that simple?
Yes.
As no offence but does your site get that many readers?
No offence at all. Let's say that I am getting a good pocket money with the commission I earn with people buying HKL DVDs through the links on my site.
Posted: 23 Jan 2006, 00:32
by jimmyscab
Well there arent too many sites dedicated to HKL titles like LDs page, at least not at first glance. One review copy won't take em out of business !
LD you should promote your site more, i think its nice and has potential.
Posted: 23 Jan 2006, 00:44
by thelostdragon
Hey,
thanks for your comments. Care to explain how to make more promotion? I've entered the site in Google already, but I have the feeling that this isn't enough obviously.