Page 37 of 90
Posted: 05 Jan 2006, 18:04
by Yi-Long
To correct you those are Tartan titles.
Aw oki, thanks. You're right. I was thinking of the Happy Together release and knew that one was from Artificial Eye (cause at the time I had high hopes this would finally be a release worth buying, and was majorly disapointed), so guess I somehow mixed that one up with the Tartan releases of WKW movies, thinking they were all Artificial Eye releases.

Posted: 05 Jan 2006, 20:11
by bradavon
Yeah that is poor but you're citing the exception. More often than not the PQ is tops on AE DVDs.
They used to release to many DVDs in DD2.0 when it should be DD5.1 but seem to be getting better at this.
Posted: 10 Jan 2006, 12:10
by grim_tales
This month's "special" is 25% off everything in the January sale.
Since the likes of Play are selling most HKL's (including newer titles) for £5-6.99 I'll give that a miss.
I'll wait until FoF: PE is cheaper too, what with HKL having the audacity to charge the RRP (£20) for it

Posted: 10 Jan 2006, 15:10
by Markgway
I got that mailer too. It strikes me as odd that HKL think 25% off is suitable when as internet users we're obviously gonna know about play.com.
Posted: 10 Jan 2006, 18:51
by romerojpg
"HKL are definatly shutting down", is that a FACT? or just gossip
Seven Swords, just buy it and see for yourself if its good. I cannot uinderstand why people stay away from films if they get negative feedback, if you want to see it buy the thing who gives a shit what others think, I am sure as hell I dont.
I bought it and its good, and now just bought the big special edition too. The extended edition wont be around for a bit as they need a large portion of cash to finish the effects etc.. but hey I am sure it will come one day, just not soon I would guess.
Posted: 10 Jan 2006, 21:00
by tom2681
HKL are definatly shutting down
Would this mean that their dvds will be OOP soon ?
I cannot understand why people stay away from films if they get negative feedback, if you want to see it buy the thing who gives a shit what others think, I am sure as hell I dont.
I could not possibly agree more.
Posted: 10 Jan 2006, 22:54
by jimmyscab
Tom2681 wrote:HKL are definatly shutting down
Would this mean that their dvds will be OOP soon ?
Probably not, they are all owned by Contender right ? They can still go on and produce and sell the DVDs.
Posted: 10 Jan 2006, 23:11
by bradavon
Is the 20% already knocked off? As I honestly couldn't tell if it was their normal prices or not. The pricing didn't exactly look "wow that's cheap" to me.
Markgway wrote:I got that mailer too. It strikes me as odd that HKL think 25% off is suitable when as internet users we're obviously gonna know about play.com.
In a way yes but in a way no 25% does sound good to Joe Public.
Posted: 11 Jan 2006, 08:43
by grim_tales
Who are you quoting Romero with the "HKL are definitely shutting down" line?
I know LD said they won't be acquiring any new stuff.
Posted: 16 Jan 2006, 12:37
by grim_tales
Hey,
I've seen on Play that the PA DVD of Crying Fist is due for release on March 6.

Posted: 16 Jan 2006, 16:15
by bradavon
grim_tales wrote:Who are you quoting Romero with the "HKL are definitely shutting down" line?
Who knows Romero lives in his own little world

Posted: 16 Jan 2006, 16:35
by grim_tales
Posted: 16 Jan 2006, 20:15
by romerojpg
I am not quoting anyone, just going from what LD said! basically if they are not getting any more films they are shutting down. As what the hell will all the staff do? bugger all as they will be sacked or sent to other divisions, hence shutting down.
Buying from the HKL site is a joke, noone should even look.
Posted: 16 Jan 2006, 21:45
by IronMonkey
Just because they are not buying the rights to any more films (how do we even know this is 100% accurate info?) doesn't mean they're shutting down.
They still have a massive back catalogue of titles that they own the distribution rights to which they can remaster...
This is all massive speculation on our part and until I hear otherwise from confirmed sources I won't take it as gospel as they say.
Posted: 16 Jan 2006, 21:49
by Markgway
If HKL spend the next year or so releasing what they already have I'll be quite happy. (Tiger Cage, Righting Wrongs, Peking Opera Blues, etc)

Posted: 16 Jan 2006, 22:02
by romerojpg
Thats why asked if it was confirmed, so obviosuly thats a Big No

no facts at all yet. I think some of the titles they had the rights to are now starting to pass over to other companies anyway

so we may never get some they did have on the cards

they have sat on the rights to some films for what? 5 years now? and not released them, no wonder time is up.
Posted: 17 Jan 2006, 12:45
by bradavon
I have serious doubts HKL are going to disappear anytime soon. By the time they've run out of titles to release it will at least be this time next year and 12 months is a long time!
I seriously also doubt we'll ever see SITES: PE and DM: PE, not now.
romerojpg wrote:I am not quoting anyone, just going from what LD said!
So by definition you're quoting LD
Buying from the HKL site is a joke, noone should even look.
I look but not to buy.
IronMonkey wrote:This is all massive speculation on our part and until I hear otherwise from confirmed sources I won't take it as gospel as they say.
Exactly. We have word from LD which is good enough for me but lots of this is still speculation.
Posted: 18 Jan 2006, 06:59
by EvaUnit02
Yi-Long wrote: Madman has done great things for anime
That's utter bollocks! 90% of their anime releases are still NTSC-PAL (they're always exceptions though. Eg their Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex releases are sourced from HD masters are reportedly better than both the R1 and R2 releases PQ wise) hell I watched one released very recently and that was NTSC-PAL.
Other small Aussie genre DVD distributors (eg Stomp Visual) are releasing NTSC transfers since they can't get their hands on PAL masters, Madman should be be doing the same FFS. Every fucking TV down here has had NTSC playback for eons and eons.
Posted: 18 Jan 2006, 09:24
by grim_tales
Hey,
You can buy FIST OF FURY: PLATINUM EDITION for £11.99 with a £1 link/voucher, which isn't bad.
http://www5.cd-wow.com/detail_results_2 ... at=region2
Posted: 18 Jan 2006, 10:56
by grim_tales
Hey,
Also HKL Knockabout is out today. This came quietly
http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=sear ... =49&Go.y=7
Posted: 18 Jan 2006, 13:01
by bradavon
Every fucking TV down here has had NTSC playback for eons and eons.
I never knew NZ TV shows were in NTSC. Is this the same for Australia?
Madman should be creating proper PAL DVDs first and then if not use NTSC DVDs.
Posted: 19 Jan 2006, 01:58
by EvaUnit02
bradavon wrote:
I never knew NZ TV shows were in NTSC. Is this the same for Australia?
No, all TV broadcasts in Australasia have always been PAL. I'd say 95% of tellys sold in Oz/NZ in the last 13+ years have
NTSC playback. I don't know how you got idea that we have NTSC broadcasts.
Posted: 19 Jan 2006, 20:36
by bradavon
I've just pre-ordered FOF: PE from CD WOW for £10.99, fingers crossed they won't cancel my order.
I hope as it will be on their system for a few days it won't mean they cancel the order. I used a £1 code and £1 link btw.
If it gets cancelled I shall reorder at £11.99.
Posted: 20 Jan 2006, 10:51
by grim_tales
Hey,
I noticed HKL have another one of their "Collections" at Play, a Michelle Yeoh one:
http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=pfa& ... tle=860248
That cover is pretty nice IMO.
Posted: 20 Jan 2006, 12:51
by saltysam
if anyone is interested in this set it's cheaper here
http://www.dvdpopcorn.co.uk/CatalogueGeneral.asp