I'm betting it will be the theatrical cut. I doubt they'll release the extended cut now.
I'm affraid so as well. Can't say i will be buying it then, which is a shame cause from most reviews that I've read about it, it seemed promising, yet the cuts made it a incoherent mess at times. I watched the trailer in HK a few times (they play trailers of movies outside the cinemas) and it looked pretty decent.
From a money point of view was that a mistake though???
Maybe, maybe not. There will always be many people buying this movies purely based on word-of-mouth, or who dont read reviews, or dont care much about a movie being cut or having a different soundtrack or even (shock! horror!) only having a dub...
PA is also now in the position it can RE-release it WITH the right soundtrack, and some people will buy it again (I'm one of them)
I bought the PA release, but only when it was only 6.99 and pretty much purely for The Making and extras, which were absolutely great and worth the money.
I did recommend other people to NOT buy the PA DVD if they could get a subtitled bootleg with the original soundtrack instead, just because the original soundtrack (in my mind) is way better.
Point being: If they had released this with the proper soundtrack, it would have gotten a much better word of mouth, people like me would have bought it for full price instead of in a sale, etc etc. So perhaps they did lose money. From me, they could have sold it to me for 15 pounds if it would have had the right soundtrack (or even just a CHOICE of soundtracks), instead of selling it to me for 6.99, and the bad word of mouth I have now given it.
DVD releases like Fist of Legend and Drunken Master 2 sell ok/well, I'm sure... but I bet GOOD releases of these movies would sell even much better.
So yeah, I guess money-wise it was a bad decision to not at least include the original soundtrack. Especially since the new soundtrack probably cost them some moey and effort as well, while the original one was already included and great as well...
Artistically, I feel they should have left the movie intact. All movies even. Even if it means some people MIGHT not buy it. (Other people WILL buy it for it being the definite version, plus you get a very good word-of-mouth, which is good marketing for future releases of other movies...
God... that answer was much longer then I initially intended it to be
There are some gems amongst the DVDs many dislike. TBH it never seemed to get off the ground, the label has so few titles it's silly really.
I guess it will mean they're going to buy more HKL is being killed off, which like I said won't in reality be for a few years. All can change in that time.
Ow I agree they have released a couple of good discs. I still wanna order Taegugki one of these days. But the bad releases did make me read a bunch of reviews to make sure it's a good disc. If it would have done all their releases justice, I could have blind faith in them, and probably would have bought a couple of their releases at first sight, instead if questioning the quality, reading reviews, and reconsidering it...
So a questionable/variable reputation means less impulse buying.
Also, it should be very easy to release a movie propely. Forget all that bullshit about localisation and shit: A good movie will do well.
They are trying to market GENRE movies, to a mainstream market. But by doing that, they ALIENATE their own (genre) market ... which is ALWAYS a big mistake.
If it's a good movie, just release it as it was originally supposed to be released. Most international cuts/versions are not as good as the original movies, the mainstream market isnt gonna become genre-fans when they see a mediocre short cut of what once was a good movie, plus the genre market isnt gonna buy the cut version, but is gonna import the original version.
Musa could and should have done much better if they would have released the right version. So would many other movies. They underestimate the viewers, thinking we won't get cultural references or wont 'get' long fightscenes or whatever. Those low-level movieviewers are just gonna spend their money on a Vin Diesel movie anyway, so why take them into consideration!? Market the movies to a mature, open-minded audience, cause that openmindedness is usually the reason they fell in love with the genre in the first place.
Damn... I'm ranting again...
That's a bit over the top. Tartan and Artificial Eye in particular are doing "overall" a decent job.
I see where you're coming from though.
I agree partly. Artificial Eyes WKW releases were far from pefect (mandarin soundtrack, bad AV), and tartan has had some bad releases as well.
Some very good as well though, like Old Boy.
I just fear those days of Eastern Heroes will come back. Back then we relied in Made in Hong Kong to release decent videos, and nowadays equivelant of MIHK is HKL... so it's a shame to see them go.
I guess with only 25 million people at most being marketed for (Australia and New Zealand) they don't consider it worth it but Madman need to have more respect in their Eastern Eye range.
To many discs lack the extras, DTS etc . . . they should.
p.s - I wasn't all that impressed with Madman's Spirited Away (ignoring DTS). I used to own it and the R1 I kept the R1.
Madman should realize their market COULD be MUCH bigger then just 25 million. If they make great PAL discs of great movies, companies in R2 will probably buy those releases to sell them over here, instead of having to make their own discs. Also, with Australia obviously being an english-speaking market, it can do great with exporting their movies, cause it already has english subs so it's easily accesible for many.
So it SHOULD be worth it. Especially since the prices are also decent.
I quite liked their Spirited Away release. Didnt find much fault with it, but then again, i dont care much about DTS anyway, as I cant play it... so never listen to those soundtracks anyway. I listen to all my sound through my TV. But if it could have been included, it should have been included.