What Have You Just Seen... Marks Out of 5
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
I couldn't agree more about MI3 regarding HungFist's comments. Very average and easily the worst of the three. Say what you will about MI2 but it was cool!
As for Die Hard 4.0 I've not even seen it but reckon you've hit the nail on the head when you say it's too modern and lacks attitude.
They really don't make action films like they use to in the 80s. It's not surprising so many 80s action films hold up so well 20 years after they were made. Big mobile phones aside you'd not really know Die Hard was made in 1988. Too many modern action films go for way to much gloss and slick before real in your face (but realistic) action for my liking.
As for Die Hard 4.0 I've not even seen it but reckon you've hit the nail on the head when you say it's too modern and lacks attitude.
They really don't make action films like they use to in the 80s. It's not surprising so many 80s action films hold up so well 20 years after they were made. Big mobile phones aside you'd not really know Die Hard was made in 1988. Too many modern action films go for way to much gloss and slick before real in your face (but realistic) action for my liking.
Just to add would we hear about them compared with BBFC cuts which get splattered all over the web?Most of them?! Can you name 30 US films this year that have been re-edited or censored as a result of the MPAA? Whilst the idea of censorship offends me, I'd like to think that the MPAA leave the majority of Hollywood's output alone.
-
Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
James Stewart is a class act, but I never "got" Harvey myself. I guess if you like whimsical light comedies... but I never warmed to it really.
Casino Royale (Uncut R3) - 4/5
Excellent Bond back in action and on top form. More please.
Black Book - 3.5/5
Very good film from a back on form Paul Verhoeven, shame about the disappointing last half hour.
Casino Royale (Uncut R3) - 4/5
Excellent Bond back in action and on top form. More please.
Black Book - 3.5/5
Very good film from a back on form Paul Verhoeven, shame about the disappointing last half hour.
-
BiscLimpkit
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 4727
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 21:33
- Location: Scotland
I'm not gonna bother - these days with next gen medium coming out, I only buy DVDs I've not seen before and try to get them as cheap as poss. I've become less of a film collector tbh.grim_tales wrote:Bisc, thanksYes, Spidey 3 was the weakest of the three overall but still good fun.
I don't know if I'll get the DVD or not, I may if some EE comes out.

-
BiscLimpkit
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 4727
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 21:33
- Location: Scotland
Nice. I was going to watch this but I want to sit through Verhoeven's older classics first - only seen his mainstream stuff really.Markgway wrote: Black Book - 3.5/5
Very good film from a back on form Paul Verhoeven, shame about the disappointing last half hour.
Also - I might wait till the DVD's a fiver or something. (Being the tight fisted Aberdonian that I am).

-
Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
In the DVD interviews they connect the film to his 1977 WW2 movie 'Soldier of Orange'. Might be one worth checking out as a comparison piece.BiscLimpkit wrote: Nice. I was going to watch this but I want to sit through Verhoeven's older classics first - only seen his mainstream stuff really.
You said it!Also - I might wait till the DVD's a fiver or something. (Being the tight fisted Aberdonian that I am).
-
grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22166
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
I don't know when if/I'll get HD so I'm sure I'll be happy with the DVD if I were to buy it. 
Guilty as charged then Mark
It is a light comedy, sure, but it has a heartwarming message (Dowd's elder sister would rather he is a kindly, amiable wacko then a mean "normal" person), I liked it
Its very good.
Guilty as charged then Mark
-
BiscLimpkit
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 4727
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 21:33
- Location: Scotland
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
thelostdragon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 7059
- Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
- Location: Basin City
Die Hard 4.0 - 3.5/5
It was really good, but you just notice that it was adapted from a novel that originally had nothing to do with "Die Hard" or John McClane.
Awesome action scenes and there were some funny quotes, but unfortunately not enough like you'd expect in a "Die Hard"-film. But still a great ride.
Oh and it's good that McClane's daughter didn't have that much screentime as she was one of those bothersome character that I usually want to die.
It was really good, but you just notice that it was adapted from a novel that originally had nothing to do with "Die Hard" or John McClane.
Awesome action scenes and there were some funny quotes, but unfortunately not enough like you'd expect in a "Die Hard"-film. But still a great ride.
Oh and it's good that McClane's daughter didn't have that much screentime as she was one of those bothersome character that I usually want to die.
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
Welcome to the NHK - 3/5
I saw this recently. It really surprised me, Gonzo finally managed to churn out a somewhat decent series I thought. But then I read that it's a relatively bad adaptation of the manga/light novel. Ah well ignorance is bliss - as long as I don't read the manga, I can continue on with the illusion that Gonzo is capable of occasionally producing something that ain't a big pile of dog crap.
I saw this recently. It really surprised me, Gonzo finally managed to churn out a somewhat decent series I thought. But then I read that it's a relatively bad adaptation of the manga/light novel. Ah well ignorance is bliss - as long as I don't read the manga, I can continue on with the illusion that Gonzo is capable of occasionally producing something that ain't a big pile of dog crap.
-
captainjoe
- King of Beggars
- Posts: 667
- Joined: 24 Jul 2006, 00:46
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Live Free or Die Hard (Die Hard 4.0) - 3.5/5
What a thrilling rollar coaster ride. There was non-stop action and violence. I could've used some F-shots but Willis made up for it by calling Gabriel a "dickhead" and "jerk-off." The "Yippie K-yay Mother Fu(bang)er was actually appriate for the scene and I dare say the best delivery of the series had it not been drowned out by a gun shot. It was better than I thought it would be but there were still some problems mostly from the bad guy. He just didn't compete with Hans or Simon but then who could?
What a thrilling rollar coaster ride. There was non-stop action and violence. I could've used some F-shots but Willis made up for it by calling Gabriel a "dickhead" and "jerk-off." The "Yippie K-yay Mother Fu(bang)er was actually appriate for the scene and I dare say the best delivery of the series had it not been drowned out by a gun shot. It was better than I thought it would be but there were still some problems mostly from the bad guy. He just didn't compete with Hans or Simon but then who could?

-
Shingster
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 4140
- Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14
The best Gonzo productions are Manga adaptations, but they still usually screw them up eventually! Hellsing anyone?EvaUnit02 wrote:Welcome to the NHK - 3/5
I saw this recently. It really surprised me, Gonzo finally managed to churn out a somewhat decent series I thought. But then I read that it's a relatively bad adaptation of the manga/light novel. Ah well ignorance is bliss - as long as I don't read the manga, I can continue on with the illusion that Gonzo is capable of occasionally producing something that ain't a big pile of dog crap.
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
Knetan
- Hail the Judge!
- Posts: 2009
- Joined: 12 Mar 2006, 12:57
- Location: Sweden
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
Die Hard 4.0 3/5
This is a decent actioner let down by a weak villain played by timothy olyphant, who was superb in Deadwood. lots of action,explosions and an entertaining 2 hours.
Warriors:Director's Cut (hd-dvd) 4.5/5
Still a classic and a fantastic transfer for a nearly 30 year old movie but paramount could have at least included the original theatrical cut on the disc.
This is a decent actioner let down by a weak villain played by timothy olyphant, who was superb in Deadwood. lots of action,explosions and an entertaining 2 hours.
Warriors:Director's Cut (hd-dvd) 4.5/5
Still a classic and a fantastic transfer for a nearly 30 year old movie but paramount could have at least included the original theatrical cut on the disc.
-
Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

