What Have You Just Seen... Marks Out of 5

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

Plane Dead 2.5/5

bonkers low budget zombies on a plane movie.pretty entertaining throughout it's 90 minutes.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

I couldn't agree more about MI3 regarding HungFist's comments. Very average and easily the worst of the three. Say what you will about MI2 but it was cool!

As for Die Hard 4.0 I've not even seen it but reckon you've hit the nail on the head when you say it's too modern and lacks attitude.

They really don't make action films like they use to in the 80s. It's not surprising so many 80s action films hold up so well 20 years after they were made. Big mobile phones aside you'd not really know Die Hard was made in 1988. Too many modern action films go for way to much gloss and slick before real in your face (but realistic) action for my liking.
Most of them?! Can you name 30 US films this year that have been re-edited or censored as a result of the MPAA? Whilst the idea of censorship offends me, I'd like to think that the MPAA leave the majority of Hollywood's output alone.
Just to add would we hear about them compared with BBFC cuts which get splattered all over the web?
slasher13
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1799
Joined: 03 Dec 2004, 09:15

Post by slasher13 »

saltysam wrote: Plane Dead 2.5/5

bonkers low budget zombies on a plane movie.pretty entertaining throughout it's 90 minutes.
Its a low budget Classic movie!! :) Glad to see alot of b movie actors in this
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Bisc, thanks :) Yes, Spidey 3 was the weakest of the three overall but still good fun.
I don't know if I'll get the DVD or not, I may if some EE comes out.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Harvey (1950) - 5/5

Charming comedy. Lovely film :)
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

James Stewart is a class act, but I never "got" Harvey myself. I guess if you like whimsical light comedies... but I never warmed to it really.

Casino Royale (Uncut R3) - 4/5
Excellent Bond back in action and on top form. More please.

Black Book - 3.5/5
Very good film from a back on form Paul Verhoeven, shame about the disappointing last half hour.
Image
User avatar
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4727
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 21:33
Location: Scotland

Post by BiscLimpkit »

grim_tales wrote:Bisc, thanks :) Yes, Spidey 3 was the weakest of the three overall but still good fun.
I don't know if I'll get the DVD or not, I may if some EE comes out.
I'm not gonna bother - these days with next gen medium coming out, I only buy DVDs I've not seen before and try to get them as cheap as poss. I've become less of a film collector tbh.
Image
User avatar
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4727
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 21:33
Location: Scotland

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Markgway wrote: Black Book - 3.5/5
Very good film from a back on form Paul Verhoeven, shame about the disappointing last half hour.
Nice. I was going to watch this but I want to sit through Verhoeven's older classics first - only seen his mainstream stuff really.

Also - I might wait till the DVD's a fiver or something. (Being the tight fisted Aberdonian that I am).
Image
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

BiscLimpkit wrote: Nice. I was going to watch this but I want to sit through Verhoeven's older classics first - only seen his mainstream stuff really.
In the DVD interviews they connect the film to his 1977 WW2 movie 'Soldier of Orange'. Might be one worth checking out as a comparison piece.
Also - I might wait till the DVD's a fiver or something. (Being the tight fisted Aberdonian that I am).
You said it! :wink:
Image
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

I don't know when if/I'll get HD so I'm sure I'll be happy with the DVD if I were to buy it. :)
Guilty as charged then Mark ;) It is a light comedy, sure, but it has a heartwarming message (Dowd's elder sister would rather he is a kindly, amiable wacko then a mean "normal" person), I liked it :D Its very good.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

36 - 4/5

Very well made French police thriller :)
User avatar
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4727
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 21:33
Location: Scotland

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Is that 36 Quais des Orves (or however the hell you spell it)?

Now that's a film.
Image
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Did you pick up the Tartan DVD Grim? I'd pick it up but it's still too much.
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

Post by thelostdragon »

Die Hard 4.0 - 3.5/5
It was really good, but you just notice that it was adapted from a novel that originally had nothing to do with "Die Hard" or John McClane.

Awesome action scenes and there were some funny quotes, but unfortunately not enough like you'd expect in a "Die Hard"-film. But still a great ride.

Oh and it's good that McClane's daughter didn't have that much screentime as she was one of those bothersome character that I usually want to die.
Image
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:Did you pick up the Tartan DVD Grim? I'd pick it up but it's still too much.
He rented it.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Welcome to the NHK - 3/5
I saw this recently. It really surprised me, Gonzo finally managed to churn out a somewhat decent series I thought. But then I read that it's a relatively bad adaptation of the manga/light novel. Ah well ignorance is bliss - as long as I don't read the manga, I can continue on with the illusion that Gonzo is capable of occasionally producing something that ain't a big pile of dog crap.
User avatar
captainjoe
King of Beggars
Posts: 667
Joined: 24 Jul 2006, 00:46
Location: Alberta, Canada

Post by captainjoe »

Live Free or Die Hard (Die Hard 4.0) - 3.5/5

What a thrilling rollar coaster ride. There was non-stop action and violence. I could've used some F-shots but Willis made up for it by calling Gabriel a "dickhead" and "jerk-off." The "Yippie K-yay Mother Fu(bang)er was actually appriate for the scene and I dare say the best delivery of the series had it not been drowned out by a gun shot. It was better than I thought it would be but there were still some problems mostly from the bad guy. He just didn't compete with Hans or Simon but then who could?
Image
User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14

Post by Shingster »

EvaUnit02 wrote:Welcome to the NHK - 3/5
I saw this recently. It really surprised me, Gonzo finally managed to churn out a somewhat decent series I thought. But then I read that it's a relatively bad adaptation of the manga/light novel. Ah well ignorance is bliss - as long as I don't read the manga, I can continue on with the illusion that Gonzo is capable of occasionally producing something that ain't a big pile of dog crap.
The best Gonzo productions are Manga adaptations, but they still usually screw them up eventually! Hellsing anyone?
slasher13
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1799
Joined: 03 Dec 2004, 09:15

Post by slasher13 »

Event Horizon (SE) - 5/5
Love this movie, love the packaging, really underrated, excellent cast, good concept and poss my favorite Paul W Anderson movie, its just a superb movie.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Can EH be bought without the packaging?

DH4 doesn't open in the UK until next w/e :(
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

BiscLimpkit wrote:Is that 36 Quais des Orves (or however the hell you spell it)?

Now that's a film.
Yeah thats it Bisc.
It was very good I agree.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Beverly Hills Cop - 4/5

Funny film, I enjoyed it :D
I spotted Ronny Cox as a bad guy but I'm not sure who the slimy British guy is.
User avatar
Knetan
Hail the Judge!
Posts: 2009
Joined: 12 Mar 2006, 12:57
Location: Sweden

Post by Knetan »

hey,

The Bride With White Hair 4/5

An amazing film still. Ronny Yu uses his quite short running time effectively, getting both the emotions running high through the character fates of leads Leslie Cheung and Brigitte Lin but also via memorable imagery. Either grand, gory or freaky.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

Die Hard 4.0 3/5

This is a decent actioner let down by a weak villain played by timothy olyphant, who was superb in Deadwood. lots of action,explosions and an entertaining 2 hours.

Warriors:Director's Cut (hd-dvd) 4.5/5

Still a classic and a fantastic transfer for a nearly 30 year old movie but paramount could have at least included the original theatrical cut on the disc.
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

grim_tales wrote:I spotted Ronny Cox as a bad guy but I'm not sure who the slimy British guy is.
Ronny Cox was a good guy. He played the Police Captain.
Did you watch this film?

The slimy British guy was Steven Berkoff.
They have credits you know...?
Image