Madman's 10th Anniversary Blow-out - $10 - BARGAIN OVER!

Sell Your Stuff, and What's on Sale
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

LD no offence but I've mentioned it LOTS of times.

Check out the first post of the Madman/Eastern Eye thread in the Asian forum. The one you never look at. I've linked to it all over the first page of this thread and it's blatantly obvious in the Asian forum.

It omits any Anime title and old school such as Lady Snowblood or Godzila. I don't follow this so unless someone tells me they should be added I don't know to add them.

I also suggest checking out the Madman's spec link at the very top of the thread I've just mentioned, and also all over page 1.

Except for Yojimbo and Sanjuro obviously (currently the best, so they're still there) the rest are the best world-wide. Some say Dolls JP is better than the R4 personally I reckon the R4 looks better and the R4 has extras too.

I've also heard reports Sonatine & Boiling Point JP R2's are better than the R4 but JP DVDs cost a bomb. The rest are sound, some are NTSC-PAL and where known I've put this (but in some of the cases they're still the world-best).
User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14

Post by Shingster »

R1 sonatine doesn't cost a bomb and it's also better.
Last edited by Shingster on 07 Nov 2006, 00:55, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

Post by thelostdragon »

Sorry Brad! Great front page in that other thread, though. Thanks!
Image
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

Post by thelostdragon »

Does anybody have "Musa"? Is the PAL to NTSC a big issue on that disc?
Image
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

About Musa, copy/pasted from my thoughts over at DVD Forums in the equivalent thread:

IMO it is as it's a good NTSC-PAL transfer. It's clearly from the Korean DVD, it looks almost identical. The UK R2 looks A LOT better but is cut. I prefer the shorter cut myself.

Someone in that Bullets link said it's NTSC-PAL so it's been confirmed to be so I'm afraid. You'll have to delve into the link to know exactly what they said. I wouldn't have added it otherwise.

I couldn't spot it being NTSC-PAL myself so it must be one of the better ones, as you know some are awful and some are not.

The thing is the Korean print isn't in "great" shape anyway so it probably hides the NTSC-PAL, don't get me wrong it's accepable but the UK R2 Premier Asia blows it away.

The R1 from Sony is also the longer director's cut but only has English DD5.1 or Korean DD2.0 and of course the Korean you're paying for lots of extras you can't watch.

As the R4 only has one 10 minute featurette (again back in the day when they didn't release 2 disc DVDs or rarely) you could get the 1 Disc Korean re-release BUT don't forget all Korean versions have woeful subs, the R4 subs are much better
.

Grim has the R4 btw; I borrowed it off him. In short no I don't think it's an issue/big problem/bad conversion on the R4.
Shingster wrote:R1 sonatine doesn't cost a bomb and it's also better.
I was trying to think why I counted the R4 above this and it's because you can only get it as part of a double pack with Zatoichi. Null and void IMO.
User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14

Post by Shingster »

Yeah but the double feature DVD is pretty fecking cheap. Stick this in your R4 pipe and smoke it: Sonatine/Zatoichi R1 :D
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

Post by thelostdragon »

Thanks, brad. I was thinking about getting "Musa" for the exact reason that it is the only full cut with good English subs.

Wanted to get these three:

1. Musa
2. Princess Blade
3. Sugata Sanshiro

I went to check out and then I saw that they don't accept PayPal. Dang!! Too bad.
Image
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Brad is Bangkok Dangerous any good? I'll use the Madman thread to decide what I want :)
User avatar
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4727
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 21:33
Location: Scotland

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Bangkok Dangerous is pretty pish (as is any film with Bangkok in the title).
Image
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

:D
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Most people say it's good. I've not seen it yet.
Shingster wrote:Yeah but the double feature DVD is pretty fecking cheap. Stick this in your R4 pipe and smoke it: Sonatine/Zatoichi R1 :D
How do I smoke "The required title is not available any more!" :D

£9.22 for a DVD isn't cheap, Zatiochi doesn't count when it's a film you don't want as there are better out there. It's not like the R1 is miles better anyway.

You mean: http://www.dvdpacific.com/item.asp?ID=618375
thelostdragon wrote:Thanks, brad. I was thinking about getting "Musa" for the exact reason that it is the only full cut with good English subs.
Exactly! Which is exactly the reason it's on the thread. The Korean subs suck!
thelostdragon wrote:I went to check out and then I saw that they don't accept PayPal. Dang!! Too bad.
Dude where's your Visa or Mastercard? Comparatively speaking few sites support PayPal, get it sorted :D

Is the R4 "Sugata Sanshiro" the best you can get then and why?
User avatar
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4727
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 21:33
Location: Scotland

Post by BiscLimpkit »

I don't usually do this but I'd like to say a big "thank you" to Brad (and to a lesser extent, Eva) for bringing this sale to our attention and their contributions to the Madman thread. Also thanks for making everything easy to understand.

I managed to order Princess Blade, Violent Cop, Dolls and Godzilla Final Wars.

Although I think you are both bastards for making me spend money, which I don't have.
Image
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

No worries glad I could help. It took sometime (including an infamous black mark at DVD Forums, now removed) to get all the information in there. As well as the Madman thread I've (okay we) been running for a while now.

I'd actually like to update it if any Madman "best in the world" Asian DVDs are missing, please let me know?

Yeah Eva is useful as R4 man on the ground ;)
BiscLimpkit wrote:Although I think you are both bastards for making me spend money, which I don't have.
He he well you did insist in visiting Japanese ladies of the night didn't you :D
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Agreed Bisc, thanks is due to Brad for all this :thumbright:
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

Post by thelostdragon »

"Bangkok Dangerous" is a really good film in my opinion.
Image
User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14

Post by Shingster »

Bangkok Dangerous bored me to tears, I had to splash some cold water on my face after it ended to wake me up a bit. :D
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

Post by thelostdragon »

LOL! :D
Image
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

I have tried loads of times and never has the site even loaded :( shite sale then.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

I managed to get mine in the end but I agree Romero, its annoying trying to get the site to load :evil:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

grim_tales wrote:Agreed Bisc, thanks is due to Brad for all this :thumbright:
Thanks Grim.
thelostdragon wrote:"Bangkok Dangerous" is a really good film in my opinion.
I've heard mostly great reports, the few bits I've seen (on TV) it looks decent.

The R4 maybe NTSC-PAL I'm not sure (it's of the right Madman age) but when the HK DVD is non-anamorphic and the UK R2 of the very old Tartan age so awful print and burnt in I can live with it.
romerojpg wrote:shite sale then.
Nope just a busy site. I've had some problems since Monday but pretty much been able to get in.

Hold up are you using Dial-up still? In other words not a shite sale, a shite Internet connection. What do you expect?
Last edited by bradavon on 09 Nov 2006, 01:52, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

Post by thelostdragon »

Romero, you really are on dial-up? Isn't it even more expensive than getting a monthly fixed cost with unlimited access time to the internet on DSL considering how much you spend on the net?
Image
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

There's some cock up with his AOL BB account I believe, it's been a few weeks though AFAIK.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

LOL, missed this new sale thanks to exams and work. Just as well then, I already dropped like $100+ on the last sale. I would've blown at least another $50 for sure.
bradavon wrote:The R1 from Sony is also the longer director's cut
IIRC it's actually just the shorter international cut too.
Shingster wrote:R1 sonatine doesn't cost a bomb and it's also better.
As far as Zatoichi goes, no English language release comes even close to the UK Artificial Eye 2-discer. It has a terrific PAL transfer with the cinematographer's intended original colours (Di$ney R1/R4 is colour-"corrected"), a marvellous DTS track and hours of meaty subtitled extras. (FYI Brad, it still appears to be in print. Amazon and Sendit have it in stock. Well worth the price for a such an awesome set.)
Zatiochi doesn't count when it's a film you don't want as there are better out there.
Kitano's Zatoichi is outstanding, haven't you seen it?
(including an infamous black mark at DVD Forums, now removed)
What happened? Did they get pissy becuz Madman/some Aussie e-store(s) ain't one of their affiliates?
bradavon wrote: Dude where's your Visa or Mastercard? Comparatively speaking few sites support PayPal, get it sorted :D
LD has some rubbish card (I think it was Visa Electron IIRC) which isn't as widely accepted.

Too bad he didn't know about this:-
In some countries, like Australia, retailers are required to accept the card as part of VISA's Accept All Cards Policy, which also applies to the normal Visa Debit card, although the card isn't available locally.
brad wrote:The R4 maybe NTSC-PAL I'm not sure (it's of the right Madman age) but when the HK DVD is non-anamorphic and the UK R2 of the very old Tartan age so awful print and burnt in I can live with it.
Bangkok Dangerous R4 is definitely native-PAL. I took a gander of LD's copy before I sent it over to the Deutcheland and the transfer was great.
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

Post by thelostdragon »

EvaUnit02 wrote:
bradavon wrote: Dude where's your Visa or Mastercard? Comparatively speaking few sites support PayPal, get it sorted :D
LD has some rubbish card (I think it was Visa Electron IIRC) which isn't as widely accepted.
Errr... no, not exactly. I have NO credit card at all. I don't know what's worse, no credit card or a Visa Electron, but where do you get these facts from? Is there something like a BnB members trivia website or so?
Image
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Oh forget it. If I bothered to respond you'd probably just throw a tantrum and complain about being put on trial or something.