Madman's 10th Anniversary Blow-out - $10 - BARGAIN OVER!
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
LD no offence but I've mentioned it LOTS of times.
Check out the first post of the Madman/Eastern Eye thread in the Asian forum. The one you never look at. I've linked to it all over the first page of this thread and it's blatantly obvious in the Asian forum.
It omits any Anime title and old school such as Lady Snowblood or Godzila. I don't follow this so unless someone tells me they should be added I don't know to add them.
I also suggest checking out the Madman's spec link at the very top of the thread I've just mentioned, and also all over page 1.
Except for Yojimbo and Sanjuro obviously (currently the best, so they're still there) the rest are the best world-wide. Some say Dolls JP is better than the R4 personally I reckon the R4 looks better and the R4 has extras too.
I've also heard reports Sonatine & Boiling Point JP R2's are better than the R4 but JP DVDs cost a bomb. The rest are sound, some are NTSC-PAL and where known I've put this (but in some of the cases they're still the world-best).
Check out the first post of the Madman/Eastern Eye thread in the Asian forum. The one you never look at. I've linked to it all over the first page of this thread and it's blatantly obvious in the Asian forum.
It omits any Anime title and old school such as Lady Snowblood or Godzila. I don't follow this so unless someone tells me they should be added I don't know to add them.
I also suggest checking out the Madman's spec link at the very top of the thread I've just mentioned, and also all over page 1.
Except for Yojimbo and Sanjuro obviously (currently the best, so they're still there) the rest are the best world-wide. Some say Dolls JP is better than the R4 personally I reckon the R4 looks better and the R4 has extras too.
I've also heard reports Sonatine & Boiling Point JP R2's are better than the R4 but JP DVDs cost a bomb. The rest are sound, some are NTSC-PAL and where known I've put this (but in some of the cases they're still the world-best).
-
Shingster
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 4140
- Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14
-
thelostdragon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 7059
- Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
- Location: Basin City
-
thelostdragon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 7059
- Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
- Location: Basin City
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
About Musa, copy/pasted from my thoughts over at DVD Forums in the equivalent thread:
IMO it is as it's a good NTSC-PAL transfer. It's clearly from the Korean DVD, it looks almost identical. The UK R2 looks A LOT better but is cut. I prefer the shorter cut myself.
Someone in that Bullets link said it's NTSC-PAL so it's been confirmed to be so I'm afraid. You'll have to delve into the link to know exactly what they said. I wouldn't have added it otherwise.
I couldn't spot it being NTSC-PAL myself so it must be one of the better ones, as you know some are awful and some are not.
The thing is the Korean print isn't in "great" shape anyway so it probably hides the NTSC-PAL, don't get me wrong it's accepable but the UK R2 Premier Asia blows it away.
The R1 from Sony is also the longer director's cut but only has English DD5.1 or Korean DD2.0 and of course the Korean you're paying for lots of extras you can't watch.
As the R4 only has one 10 minute featurette (again back in the day when they didn't release 2 disc DVDs or rarely) you could get the 1 Disc Korean re-release BUT don't forget all Korean versions have woeful subs, the R4 subs are much better.
Grim has the R4 btw; I borrowed it off him. In short no I don't think it's an issue/big problem/bad conversion on the R4.
IMO it is as it's a good NTSC-PAL transfer. It's clearly from the Korean DVD, it looks almost identical. The UK R2 looks A LOT better but is cut. I prefer the shorter cut myself.
Someone in that Bullets link said it's NTSC-PAL so it's been confirmed to be so I'm afraid. You'll have to delve into the link to know exactly what they said. I wouldn't have added it otherwise.
I couldn't spot it being NTSC-PAL myself so it must be one of the better ones, as you know some are awful and some are not.
The thing is the Korean print isn't in "great" shape anyway so it probably hides the NTSC-PAL, don't get me wrong it's accepable but the UK R2 Premier Asia blows it away.
The R1 from Sony is also the longer director's cut but only has English DD5.1 or Korean DD2.0 and of course the Korean you're paying for lots of extras you can't watch.
As the R4 only has one 10 minute featurette (again back in the day when they didn't release 2 disc DVDs or rarely) you could get the 1 Disc Korean re-release BUT don't forget all Korean versions have woeful subs, the R4 subs are much better.
Grim has the R4 btw; I borrowed it off him. In short no I don't think it's an issue/big problem/bad conversion on the R4.
I was trying to think why I counted the R4 above this and it's because you can only get it as part of a double pack with Zatoichi. Null and void IMO.Shingster wrote:R1 sonatine doesn't cost a bomb and it's also better.
-
Shingster
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 4140
- Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14
Yeah but the double feature DVD is pretty fecking cheap. Stick this in your R4 pipe and smoke it: Sonatine/Zatoichi R1 
-
thelostdragon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 7059
- Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
- Location: Basin City
-
BiscLimpkit
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 4727
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 21:33
- Location: Scotland
-
grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22164
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Most people say it's good. I've not seen it yet.

£9.22 for a DVD isn't cheap, Zatiochi doesn't count when it's a film you don't want as there are better out there. It's not like the R1 is miles better anyway.
You mean: http://www.dvdpacific.com/item.asp?ID=618375

Is the R4 "Sugata Sanshiro" the best you can get then and why?
How do I smoke "The required title is not available any more!"Shingster wrote:Yeah but the double feature DVD is pretty fecking cheap. Stick this in your R4 pipe and smoke it: Sonatine/Zatoichi R1
£9.22 for a DVD isn't cheap, Zatiochi doesn't count when it's a film you don't want as there are better out there. It's not like the R1 is miles better anyway.
You mean: http://www.dvdpacific.com/item.asp?ID=618375
Exactly! Which is exactly the reason it's on the thread. The Korean subs suck!thelostdragon wrote:Thanks, brad. I was thinking about getting "Musa" for the exact reason that it is the only full cut with good English subs.
Dude where's your Visa or Mastercard? Comparatively speaking few sites support PayPal, get it sortedthelostdragon wrote:I went to check out and then I saw that they don't accept PayPal. Dang!! Too bad.
Is the R4 "Sugata Sanshiro" the best you can get then and why?
-
BiscLimpkit
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 4727
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 21:33
- Location: Scotland
I don't usually do this but I'd like to say a big "thank you" to Brad (and to a lesser extent, Eva) for bringing this sale to our attention and their contributions to the Madman thread. Also thanks for making everything easy to understand.
I managed to order Princess Blade, Violent Cop, Dolls and Godzilla Final Wars.
Although I think you are both bastards for making me spend money, which I don't have.
I managed to order Princess Blade, Violent Cop, Dolls and Godzilla Final Wars.
Although I think you are both bastards for making me spend money, which I don't have.

-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
No worries glad I could help. It took sometime (including an infamous black mark at DVD Forums, now removed) to get all the information in there. As well as the Madman thread I've (okay we) been running for a while now.
I'd actually like to update it if any Madman "best in the world" Asian DVDs are missing, please let me know?
Yeah Eva is useful as R4 man on the ground

I'd actually like to update it if any Madman "best in the world" Asian DVDs are missing, please let me know?
Yeah Eva is useful as R4 man on the ground
He he well you did insist in visiting Japanese ladies of the night didn't youBiscLimpkit wrote:Although I think you are both bastards for making me spend money, which I don't have.
-
thelostdragon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 7059
- Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
- Location: Basin City
-
Shingster
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 4140
- Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Thanks Grim.grim_tales wrote:Agreed Bisc, thanks is due to Brad for all this :thumbright:
I've heard mostly great reports, the few bits I've seen (on TV) it looks decent.thelostdragon wrote:"Bangkok Dangerous" is a really good film in my opinion.
The R4 maybe NTSC-PAL I'm not sure (it's of the right Madman age) but when the HK DVD is non-anamorphic and the UK R2 of the very old Tartan age so awful print and burnt in I can live with it.
Nope just a busy site. I've had some problems since Monday but pretty much been able to get in.romerojpg wrote:shite sale then.
Hold up are you using Dial-up still? In other words not a shite sale, a shite Internet connection. What do you expect?
Last edited by bradavon on 09 Nov 2006, 01:52, edited 1 time in total.
-
thelostdragon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 7059
- Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
- Location: Basin City
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
LOL, missed this new sale thanks to exams and work. Just as well then, I already dropped like $100+ on the last sale. I would've blown at least another $50 for sure.
Too bad he didn't know about this:-
In some countries, like Australia, retailers are required to accept the card as part of VISA's Accept All Cards Policy, which also applies to the normal Visa Debit card, although the card isn't available locally.
IIRC it's actually just the shorter international cut too.bradavon wrote:The R1 from Sony is also the longer director's cut
As far as Zatoichi goes, no English language release comes even close to the UK Artificial Eye 2-discer. It has a terrific PAL transfer with the cinematographer's intended original colours (Di$ney R1/R4 is colour-"corrected"), a marvellous DTS track and hours of meaty subtitled extras. (FYI Brad, it still appears to be in print. Amazon and Sendit have it in stock. Well worth the price for a such an awesome set.)Shingster wrote:R1 sonatine doesn't cost a bomb and it's also better.
Kitano's Zatoichi is outstanding, haven't you seen it?Zatiochi doesn't count when it's a film you don't want as there are better out there.
What happened? Did they get pissy becuz Madman/some Aussie e-store(s) ain't one of their affiliates?(including an infamous black mark at DVD Forums, now removed)
LD has some rubbish card (I think it was Visa Electron IIRC) which isn't as widely accepted.bradavon wrote: Dude where's your Visa or Mastercard? Comparatively speaking few sites support PayPal, get it sorted
Too bad he didn't know about this:-
In some countries, like Australia, retailers are required to accept the card as part of VISA's Accept All Cards Policy, which also applies to the normal Visa Debit card, although the card isn't available locally.
Bangkok Dangerous R4 is definitely native-PAL. I took a gander of LD's copy before I sent it over to the Deutcheland and the transfer was great.brad wrote:The R4 maybe NTSC-PAL I'm not sure (it's of the right Madman age) but when the HK DVD is non-anamorphic and the UK R2 of the very old Tartan age so awful print and burnt in I can live with it.
-
thelostdragon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 7059
- Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
- Location: Basin City
Errr... no, not exactly. I have NO credit card at all. I don't know what's worse, no credit card or a Visa Electron, but where do you get these facts from? Is there something like a BnB members trivia website or so?EvaUnit02 wrote:LD has some rubbish card (I think it was Visa Electron IIRC) which isn't as widely accepted.bradavon wrote: Dude where's your Visa or Mastercard? Comparatively speaking few sites support PayPal, get it sorted
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
