I agree the extras look pathetic for a PA DVD - in fact they're pretty poor for even a 1 disc release. Looks like Bey has definitely jumped ship then.
Holy Sh*t Play have killed off HKL's website! ;-)
-
Yi-Long
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8616
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
- Location: Alkmaar, Holland
I doubt many people will be buying this movie at the RRP of 13 bucks or something, so I have no doubt that price will go down within a few weeks or certainly within a few months.bradavon wrote:OUATIAHS details are up:
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=60413
OMG considering how feature packed ALL previous Premier Asia DVD have been this is sorely lacking. Not even Korean DTS.
I bet the price doesn't go down.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
tom2681
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 5577
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 15:18
- Location: Where you'll never find me
http://www.hongkonglegends.co.uk/traile ... raight.mpg
This is new, isn't it ?
WARNING:
Watching this trailer may cause you to murder HKL employees.
This is new, isn't it ?
WARNING:
Watching this trailer may cause you to murder HKL employees.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
-
grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22164
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
-
thelostdragon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 7059
- Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
- Location: Basin City
-
thelostdragon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 7059
- Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
- Location: Basin City
-
Keung
- King of Beggars
- Posts: 886
- Joined: 23 Jan 2005, 01:18
- Location: England
-
Risk
- Little White Dragon
- Posts: 56
- Joined: 08 Feb 2006, 22:46
The Newsletter
Do HKL still send out their weekly newsletters? I think I have only recieved one since Christmas. Also are there any other good newsletters to subscribe to rearding HK/Asian cinema?
-
Keung
- King of Beggars
- Posts: 886
- Joined: 23 Jan 2005, 01:18
- Location: England
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Re: The Newsletter
Yes. I've had 1-3 since Christmas.Risk wrote:Do HKL still send out their weekly newsletters?
-
Yi-Long
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8616
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
- Location: Alkmaar, Holland
About the new 'She Shoots Straight' trailer; Holy...Shit... that....was....absolutely....horrible....
I guess the critics are right: rap music DOES inspire violence.
My god what a terrible, terrible trailer. WTF is up with the (really really bad) rapmusic? And what the hell is wrong with Voice Over man? I feel sorry for his wife if he talks like that when he's at home...
HKL has really really REALLY lost the plot. What a bunch of fucking idiots they have become.
I guess the critics are right: rap music DOES inspire violence.
My god what a terrible, terrible trailer. WTF is up with the (really really bad) rapmusic? And what the hell is wrong with Voice Over man? I feel sorry for his wife if he talks like that when he's at home...
HKL has really really REALLY lost the plot. What a bunch of fucking idiots they have become.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Tartan are much better than you guys give credit. Name me a company who releases as many Asian films? They're relentless in their release schedule.
The fact is without Tartan another company would pick the title up such as Optimum or even MIA (if they still exist). Optimum are decent enough but they don't come close to Tartan. Funnily enough State side Tartan has a much better reputation. Just get the eventual R1 NTSC version, problem solved.
All the flack is over NTSC to PAL which granted isn't great but otherwise the AV is usually very good. I'd prefer NTSC to PAL than the dreadful cinema prints they used to use. Besides I get especially pissed off when you Eva and the likes of Yi-long moan when Holland, New Zealand don't even have any such distributor to compare to.
A ropey UK distributor is better than no bloody distributor at all.
The UK pretty much leads the way for Asian English friendly DVDs. There aren't many R1 distributors to speak of and only Madman in Australia. Considering the population and power of America they should be ashamed.
Even what is left is considerably better than the competition.
Take "Once Upon a Time in a High School", a year or so ago it would've been a 2 disc release with commentary and DTS. Now it's only 1 disc, no DTS and a few select extras BUT the AV (the majority of the time) will be still first rate.
Sure 1/3 of a Premier Asia catalogue being altered isn't great but the 2/3 (so majority) which are left in tact and easily surpassing the competition barely get a mention.
The fact is without Tartan another company would pick the title up such as Optimum or even MIA (if they still exist). Optimum are decent enough but they don't come close to Tartan. Funnily enough State side Tartan has a much better reputation. Just get the eventual R1 NTSC version, problem solved.
All the flack is over NTSC to PAL which granted isn't great but otherwise the AV is usually very good. I'd prefer NTSC to PAL than the dreadful cinema prints they used to use. Besides I get especially pissed off when you Eva and the likes of Yi-long moan when Holland, New Zealand don't even have any such distributor to compare to.
A ropey UK distributor is better than no bloody distributor at all.
The UK pretty much leads the way for Asian English friendly DVDs. There aren't many R1 distributors to speak of and only Madman in Australia. Considering the population and power of America they should be ashamed.
You're right we should all start buying Dutch Asian DVDs oh wait THERE AREN'T ANY, certainly not any that come close to the calibre of HKL/Premier Asia.HKL has really really REALLY lost the plot. What a bunch of fucking idiots they have become.
Even what is left is considerably better than the competition.
Take "Once Upon a Time in a High School", a year or so ago it would've been a 2 disc release with commentary and DTS. Now it's only 1 disc, no DTS and a few select extras BUT the AV (the majority of the time) will be still first rate.
Sure 1/3 of a Premier Asia catalogue being altered isn't great but the 2/3 (so majority) which are left in tact and easily surpassing the competition barely get a mention.
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
Fair enough.bradavon wrote:Tartan are much better than you guys give credit. Name me a company who releases as many Asian films? They're relentless in their release schedule.
I know, that's why I specifically mention Tartan UK in the previous post.Funnily enough State side Tartan has a much better reputation. Just get the eventual R1 NTSC version, problem solved.
So? We're consumers too who pay for their DVDs. We have a right to verbally complain about DVDs as much as you Brits do. Thanks to the internet bringing forth globalisation, physical borders are far more trivial than they used to be.Besides I get especially pissed off when you Eva and the likes of Yi-long moan when Holland, New Zealand don't even have any such distributor to compare to.
Now you're under-estimating the US. The US labels who take live action Asian cinema seriously are very good. Eg Sony, Kino, Media Blasters/Tokyo Shock, Pathfinder, Criterion, (and the US arms of Tartan & Artsmagic). I'd say their output of Asian titles can easily rival the likes of Tartan UK, Artsmagic UK, Momentum and Artificial Eye.The UK pretty much leads the way for Asian English friendly DVDs. There aren't many R1 distributors to speak of and only Madman in Australia. Considering the population and power of America they should be ashamed.
But you're forgetting anime. There's many many quality anime distributors in the US which shit all over the international competition.
-
Risk
- Little White Dragon
- Posts: 56
- Joined: 08 Feb 2006, 22:46
Re: The Newsletter
I think the whole discussion of distibutors cacking things up is all to do with expectation. With HKL (and other companies) we have seen that when they are at the "top of their game", their releases are absolutely steller and its yardstick that we measure them and other distirbutors by. As fans and consumers we all want and wish that each release by each comany is perfect because as fans we want to see our favourite films get the proper treatment it deserves so we can appreciate it in its full glory and as consumers we don't want a half baked release and we don't want to double dip when a subsequent "better" release is available as we don't want to "waste" our hard earned cash on essentially the same product.
If we were use to crap releases for a loose example dodgy VHS to DVD transfer with only dubbing and then we heard news about the new specs featured on Once Upon A Time In High School, we'd be jumping for joy. I was pleaseantly surpised when I first heard saw Drunken Master on DVD in my local Blockbuster as it was subbed (I wasn't too fussed about the audio track as long as it was in some form of Chinese) as my previous experiences of buying HK films were those dubbed Jackie Chan VHS and I hate dubbed!
But now especially with the internet and finding information about my favourite HK films I want to see each release being the optimum release it can be, will be and should be. Hence why I keep asking about different versions of the same film; I don't want to buy the same film twice (even though I have). I just want to buy one version of the film and be happy that nothing has been missed out and the presentation quality is brilliant. And after having seen some IMHO brilliant releases, (bar technical dificulties i.e. film print too damaged to restore) why can't every release be brilliant?
Just my tuppence worth.
But as Badavon says better to have a ropey distributor than no distibutor none at all. Anyway it gives me something to complain about and thats what I do best. I mean if it ain't the weather, its the buses, or the rush hour, or people talking on the Tube, tourists getting in your way...........
If we were use to crap releases for a loose example dodgy VHS to DVD transfer with only dubbing and then we heard news about the new specs featured on Once Upon A Time In High School, we'd be jumping for joy. I was pleaseantly surpised when I first heard saw Drunken Master on DVD in my local Blockbuster as it was subbed (I wasn't too fussed about the audio track as long as it was in some form of Chinese) as my previous experiences of buying HK films were those dubbed Jackie Chan VHS and I hate dubbed!
But now especially with the internet and finding information about my favourite HK films I want to see each release being the optimum release it can be, will be and should be. Hence why I keep asking about different versions of the same film; I don't want to buy the same film twice (even though I have). I just want to buy one version of the film and be happy that nothing has been missed out and the presentation quality is brilliant. And after having seen some IMHO brilliant releases, (bar technical dificulties i.e. film print too damaged to restore) why can't every release be brilliant?
Just my tuppence worth.
But as Badavon says better to have a ropey distributor than no distibutor none at all. Anyway it gives me something to complain about and thats what I do best. I mean if it ain't the weather, its the buses, or the rush hour, or people talking on the Tube, tourists getting in your way...........
I must have unticked a box or something then. Will probably sign up to YesAsia as well. Ta for that Keung94bradavon wrote:Yes. I've had 1-3 since Christmas.Risk wrote:Do HKL still send out their weekly newsletters?
-
Yi-Long
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8616
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
- Location: Alkmaar, Holland
What the FUCK does nationality have to do with anything? have I EVER said Holland does any better? Go and visit a Dutch forum and I'll bitch and moan about local releases as well when they're BAD. Not because they're Dutch releases, or English, or Thai or WHATEVER. Just because some dumb-ass company has failed to deliver. Nationality has absolutely NOTHING to do with it.bradavon wrote:Besides I get especially pissed off when you Eva and the likes of Yi-long moan when Holland, New Zealand don't even have any such distributor to compare to.
I'll even do you one better: I hardly buy ANY Dutch releases, and usually go for the UK versions, because of price, and because of the fact that I watch these movies with English subs... which is how I prefer my movies.
So basically, you're getting pissed off over NOTHING.
If HKL/PA/WHO-EVER does things right, I say so (Taegugki) and recommend everyone to go for their release. If they do it wrong (Ong-Bak), I'll tell people to go for a bootleg. Simple. I dont like wasting money on a mediocre DVD which was made by dumbass people who didnt do a good job, and I dont want others to pay money for inferiour releases either. But that has absolutely NOTHING to do with nationality. I cant even imagine how you could come up with such a stupid, ridiculous idea in the first place.
Well... Ichi the Killer DUTCH dvd was better then the UK release ... but you're right... Holland doesnt have a good trackrecord when it comes to producing good quality dvd's.You're right we should all start buying Dutch Asian DVDs oh wait THERE AREN'T ANY, certainly not any that come close to the calibre of HKL/Premier Asia.HKL has really really REALLY lost the plot. What a bunch of fucking idiots they have become.
Even what is left is considerably better than the competition.
Take "Once Upon a Time in a High School", a year or so ago it would've been a 2 disc release with commentary and DTS. Now it's only 1 disc, no DTS and a few select extras BUT the AV (the majority of the time) will be still first rate.
Sure 1/3 of a Premier Asia catalogue being altered isn't great but the 2/3 (so majority) which are left in tact and easily surpassing the competition barely get a mention.
Have I ever said they do? WTF are you on about then?
Again, when I bitch and moan about HKL or whatever company, I'm not even giving thought about the nationality thing. It's ridiculous to me to even consider that an argument to bitch about a DVD.
You honestly think I would have bitched LESS about Ong-Bak's altered score if it had been done by a dutch idiot working for a dutch company?
Are you fucking kidding me? If the company would have been nearby I probably would have gotten on my bike and thrown a brick through their window! I'm serious. I was one of the biggest complainers about Dutch Filmworks when they started releasing asian movies on DVD-5's, wrongs aspect-ratio, wrong language, non-anamorphic etc. And gradually they have become better and better.
BTW: Didnt someone calculate that 2/3's of PA releases were screwed up, and only about 1/3rd is 'good'?
I'm sorry kid, but if you think I bitch and moan about HKL or any other company because they're not DUTCH, you're severely clueless (also check out my 'I wanna emigrate cause I fucking hate Holland thread') and a bit thick in the head as well, I might add.
The ONLY thing that I care about when we're discussing DVD's, is the quality: Is it uncut? subbed? anamorphic? original sound and soundtrack? etc etc.
I dont give a shit about what company releases it, or from what nation it comes.
Hell, Osama Bin Laden himself could start up his new MA label and make Drunken Master 2 uncut and subbed, and I'll write him a check and a thank you note!
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
I'll read and reply properly tomorrow cheers guys it being 1am and I should be in bed. I'm interested in your responses.
But quickly:

It was only better because of BBFC NOT HKL cuts.
It's something like 4 bad and 8 good. Premier Asia has only released about 12-13 titles.
How much Internet text is taken up with what these companies do well and when they get things right over when they get things wrong and do badly?
You virtually never see people praise Premier Asia titles such as The Grudge or Bang Rajan.
Both the ultimate, definitive, perfect (AFAIK) versions of said films for English subtitled people. Even Thais would want Bang Rajan as I'm pretty sure the Thai DVD is a 1 disc rubbish affair.
But quickly:
That's a HKL DVD too from the Dutch arm of HKLWell... Ichi the Killer DUTCH dvd was better then the UK release ... but you're right... Holland doesnt have a good trackrecord when it comes to producing good quality dvd's.
It was only better because of BBFC NOT HKL cuts.
Yeah me but I got mixed up over my previous calculation. It's definitely 1/3 bad, 2/3 good.BTW: Didnt someone calculate that 2/3's of PA releases were screwed up, and only about 1/3rd is 'good'?
It's something like 4 bad and 8 good. Premier Asia has only released about 12-13 titles.
Good point.I think the whole discussion of distibutors cacking things up is all to do with expectation. With HKL (and other companies) we have seen that when they are at the "top of their game", their releases are absolutely steller and its yardstick that we measure them and other distirbutors by.
How much Internet text is taken up with what these companies do well and when they get things right over when they get things wrong and do badly?
You virtually never see people praise Premier Asia titles such as The Grudge or Bang Rajan.
Both the ultimate, definitive, perfect (AFAIK) versions of said films for English subtitled people. Even Thais would want Bang Rajan as I'm pretty sure the Thai DVD is a 1 disc rubbish affair.
Last edited by bradavon on 17 Mar 2006, 01:20, edited 1 time in total.
-
Yi-Long
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8616
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
- Location: Alkmaar, Holland
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Yep of course.Yi-Long wrote:I know, but that still makes it better, doesnt it?
Actually the BBFC cut far less than people think (animal cruelty and headbutts oddly aside) now a days.Yi-Long wrote:Holland totally RULEZ cause those dumbasses in the UK have the BBFC. Nah j/k
People forget the MPAA love cutting films to shreds too.
Young Adam uncut in the UK, cut in the USA. Rules of Attraction cut in the UK BUT crucially cut in the USA too. The R1 is as much a cut DVD as the UK R2 is.
HOFD cut in the UK yes but cut way worse in the USA.
Basic Instinct cut in the USA but uncut in the UK, Monster's ball uncut in the UK but cut in the USA (hence the need for the silly Unrated DVD). Battle Royale released uncut (would it get an R rating who knows, it's still not been submitted). Nine Songs passed uncut, this would never get an R rating.
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
-
thelostdragon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 7059
- Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
- Location: Basin City
Do you feel personally offended by Eva and Yi bitching about HKL or why are you replying in a manner so unusual of you?Besides I get especially pissed off when you Eva and the likes of Yi-long moan when Holland, New Zealand don't even have any such distributor to compare to.
Brad, are HKL representing the UK in your opinion or why are you so pissed? Nobody talked bad about the UK here, so why the comparison àla Holland (USA) vs. UK? Sorry, but that was an unjustified and incoherent remark from you. Personally, I think HKL/PA have done wonderful throughout their career. Things ARE going downhill right now though and I can see where EVA and Yi (a.k.a customers) are coming from.You're right we should all start buying Dutch Asian DVDs oh wait THERE AREN'T ANY, certainly not any that come close to the calibre of HKL/Premier Asia.
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Yeah I saw that too.gasteropod wrote:Plus the MPAA cut films before they're even released theatrically, I remember watching a documentary on the The Fast and the Furious DVD about it.
The first thing I thought when seeing that is, so "The Fast and the Furious" DVD isn't really the director's cut if you will at all.
The idea of a DC doesn't really exist.
-
Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04


