China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Thailand, etc
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430 Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Post
by bradavon » 20 Jan 2006, 13:18
Cool cover art, cack box set otherwise. Who's guessing this was time for "Memoirs of a Geisha"
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164 Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK
Post
by grim_tales » 20 Jan 2006, 13:32
I see what you mean Brad.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150 Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
Post
by EvaUnit02 » 20 Jan 2006, 13:35
bradavon wrote: "Memoirs of a Geisha"
Have you seen it Brad? If so, was it any good?
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164 Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK
Post
by grim_tales » 20 Jan 2006, 13:39
Memoirs of a Gaiden - eh? Whats that Eva?
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059 Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City
Post
by thelostdragon » 20 Jan 2006, 14:31
In February comes a Jackie Chan-boxset with 4 JC titles. I think "Heart of the Dragon", "Crime Story", "Dragon Lord" and some other JC film.
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!
Posts: 2380 Joined: 16 Mar 2005, 23:05
Post
by Killer Meteor » 20 Jan 2006, 15:41
The JC set has those three films and the Heromakers doc from the Red Wolf DVD
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164 Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK
Post
by grim_tales » 20 Jan 2006, 16:11
Grr.. I wish HKL would release some of their newer movies and not these chuffing boxes
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194 Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
Post
by Markgway » 20 Jan 2006, 16:11
I just love boxsets made from leftovers. So much preferable to new titles.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430 Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Post
by bradavon » 20 Jan 2006, 16:56
They're doing both, change the record guys.
p.s - Memoirs of a Geisha was a decent film. It's a Hollywood film remember that but it was well made and acted. I thought it was decent.
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059 Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City
Post
by thelostdragon » 20 Jan 2006, 17:22
I swear to God, if it wasn't for Ken Watanabe I wouldn't watch "Memoirs of a Geisha" at the theatre. I hate the fact that it was shot in English, although it's taking place in Japan. And if Zhang Ziyi has worked so hard on her English for that film and we also know that Michelle Yeoh has learnt Mandarin for CTHD, why for God's sake not study a bit of Japanese beforehand. It's a high-budget production for God's sake. You can expect that from actors. But I'm sure it was some producer's (not necessarily Spielberg's) decision. Also, the original version of the novel is English, too.
But still... Japanese would have been better IMHO.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164 Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK
Post
by grim_tales » 20 Jan 2006, 18:04
I'd like to see it, but it would seem better if the film was shot in Japanese IMO.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430 Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Post
by bradavon » 20 Jan 2006, 19:08
Guys watch the film first hey!
Is Ken Watanabe some kind of cult figure then?
The three lead actors are fantastic, especially Gong Li.
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059 Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City
Post
by thelostdragon » 20 Jan 2006, 19:19
bradavon wrote: Is Ken Watanabe some kind of cult figure then?
He's simply a great actor.
Michelle Yeoh was good acting-wise in CTHD, but that's about it in my opinion. And Zhang Ziyi is a good actress, however, I'm sick of seeing her as a hot-tempered woman. She portrayed such an innocent girl in "The Road Home" and after that she almost only played the cliché of a Chinese, hot-tempered and fighting woman. in "2046", she might not be fighting, but her character has similar characteristics to other characters she has played.
I admit, I have not seen "Purple Butterfly" and "Jasmine Flower". But heck, I will watch these and "Memoirs of a Geisha", because I am hoping to see her play a different character for once. I know she could.
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059 Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City
Post
by thelostdragon » 20 Jan 2006, 19:20
Oh and Gong Li... she is one awesome-looking hoe for her 41 years.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430 Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Post
by bradavon » 20 Jan 2006, 19:27
You'll be pleased with Zhang Ziyi's performance in MOAG then.
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059 Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City
Post
by thelostdragon » 20 Jan 2006, 19:34
Cool. Looking forward to it. But still... if it wasn't for Watanabe, I'd wait for the DVD which I would have rented first.
jimmyscab
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 227 Joined: 13 Mar 2005, 14:22
Post
by jimmyscab » 21 Jan 2006, 23:59
Gong Li will be in the Miami Vice remake and the next Hannibal Lector movie ! yay good for her.
jimmyscab
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 227 Joined: 13 Mar 2005, 14:22
Post
by jimmyscab » 22 Jan 2006, 00:00
LD, do you get HKL review copies ? Any chance of Wheels on Meals ?
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059 Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City
Post
by thelostdragon » 22 Jan 2006, 01:46
I get finished DVDs usually. A "Wheels on Wheels"-review will soon be up. I'm really busy with some stuff these days.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430 Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Post
by bradavon » 22 Jan 2006, 18:21
Do they charge you for these? Do you get covers too? What interest is it for them to give DVDs away?
Since when were they making another Hannibal Lector film, WTF??? AFAIK there's not a fourth book. I enjoyed the last but I hope it's more like SOTL.
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059 Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City
Post
by thelostdragon » 22 Jan 2006, 19:47
bradavon wrote: Do they charge you for these? Do you get covers too? What interest is it for them to give DVDs away?
LOL, no, I'm not charged. I review the DVDs for them.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430 Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Post
by bradavon » 22 Jan 2006, 21:36
It's that simple? As no offence but does your site get that many readers?
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059 Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City
Post
by thelostdragon » 22 Jan 2006, 23:48
bradavon wrote: It's that simple?
Yes.
As no offence but does your site get that many readers?
No offence at all. Let's say that I am getting a good pocket money with the commission I earn with people buying HKL DVDs through the links on my site.
jimmyscab
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 227 Joined: 13 Mar 2005, 14:22
Post
by jimmyscab » 23 Jan 2006, 00:32
Well there arent too many sites dedicated to HKL titles like LDs page, at least not at first glance. One review copy won't take em out of business !
LD you should promote your site more, i think its nice and has potential.
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059 Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City
Post
by thelostdragon » 23 Jan 2006, 00:44
Hey,
thanks for your comments. Care to explain how to make more promotion? I've entered the site in Google already, but I have the feeling that this isn't enough obviously.