Tintin: 75th Anniversary Boxset

Non-Asian Film & Release Discussion, and Serious Film-Related Discussion
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Tintin: 75th Anniversary Boxset

Post by grim_tales »

I already have a couple of the "Volume" discs so at 25 quid this seems a pretty good value set.. not sure if I want all of the episodes? :?

Some of them are better than others, I love the excellent "Secret of the Unicorn" "Red Rackham's Treasure" and "Cigars of the Pharoah" :)

Bisc do you have this set?
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 5577
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 15:18
Location: Where you'll never find me

Post by tom2681 »

I remember watching the episodes on TV when I was a kid.
Kinda miss it... :)
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

As-tu regardé Les Adventures De Tintin en Anglais ou Francais? ;)
The UK DVDs have a French track I'm sure. Was French the original language (as it were)? :?
User avatar
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4727
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 21:33
Location: Scotland

Post by BiscLimpkit »

You got a link to this set Grim?

Is this identical to the £17.99 boxset which is already available (I think it's £17.99).

I'd love to own this. It's a crime that the UK DVDs don't have subs.
Image
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 5577
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 15:18
Location: Where you'll never find me

Post by tom2681 »

Yep, Grim, the original language is french (or "French-Belgian" to be more precise :D ).
I've never heard the english dub.

P.S: In french, adventure doesn't have a "d". Still, you're getting better. :wink:
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

D'oh! :oops:

:D

Whats the diff between French and Belgian French? :?

Bisc, I'm talking about this set:

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=ti ... g=72&pa=sr which contains all the TV cartoon episodes. Hopefully it'll be cheaper nearer or after Xmas.

Eh? What do you mean the UK DVDs dont have subs? Its the English dub ;)

The £17.99 set is a forthcoming 3 disc set of TinTin feature films.
User avatar
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4727
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 21:33
Location: Scotland

Post by BiscLimpkit »

I'm probably gonna do my DVD shopping at the post xmas sales. Would love to own this. I'm a massive fan of Tintin (and Asterix, another top French comic).
Image
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

grim_tales wrote: Eh? What do you mean the UK DVDs dont have subs? Its the English dub ;)
The UK DVDs also have the French soundtrack, but no subtitles at all.
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

Post by thelostdragon »

I think I've read all the comic books when I was a kid and I really loved them. I recently looked at the first volume again. Kinda racist looking at how the black people were portrayed back then, lol.
Image
User avatar
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4727
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 21:33
Location: Scotland

Post by BiscLimpkit »

grim_tales wrote:
Eh? What do you mean the UK DVDs dont have subs? Its the English dub ;)
I find it weird how they've provided the original soundtrack but no subs, forcing us to essentially listen to the dub (which I don't mind, but it would've been nice to have given the option).

I think every UK DVD should have subs or HOH subs anyway.
Image
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

I like the comicbooks: read them all multiple times as a kid as my uncle has a huge collection of 'comics' as in Donald Duck, Suske and Wiske (dont know the english french name), Lucky Luke, Asterix, TinTin etc etc etc...

I didnt quite like the cartoons though. kinda missed that magic the comics had. Plus the dutch voices were awfull...
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 5577
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 15:18
Location: Where you'll never find me

Post by tom2681 »

LD wrote:Kinda racist looking at how the black people were portrayed back then
You should have read the very first Tintin album (Tintin au pays des Soviets = Tintin in the land of the Soviets). :D
Grim wrote: Whats the diff between French and Belgian French?
Most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference, but Belgian French is quite different from French.
The main difference is the pronunciation.

Examples:
-In french, "Wagon" is pronunced "Vagon". In Belgian French it's "Wagon".
-In french, the "gt" at the end of "Vingt" isn't pronunced. In Belgian, every letter is.

-Instead of saying "70 = Soixante-Dix", "80 = Quatre-Vingts", "90 = Quatre-Vingt Dix", they say "Septante", "Octante", "Nonante".

It's easier, yes, but it ain't french. :D

From French to Belgian French:
-"Petit Déjeuner" (Breakfast) is "Déjeuner"
-"Déjeuner" (Lunch) is "Dîner"
-"Affectueux" (Friendly) is "Amitieux"
-"Bizarre" (Weird) is "Apothicaire" (which can be confusing because it means Apothecary in french :D )
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

BTW, Tom... how has the response to the new Asterix comic been? Cause here in Holland it wasn't well received...

It's sad so many classic french comics have gone down the drain: Lucky Luke, Spirou, Asterix... etc etc.

I LOVE Lanfeust of Troy though...absolutely amazing, both in terms of storytelling, as well as in art-work. Also filled with lots of humour.
If ever I'd like to see Hayao Miyazaki interpret a big-epic story, I'd love for it to be Lanfeust...
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 5577
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 15:18
Location: Where you'll never find me

Post by tom2681 »

We HATE it over here.

Empty story, stupid references to bad american movies, ugly drawings...

Since Goscinny (the original creator of Asterix) died, his partner Uderzo has taken his place, but he doesn't understand Asterix.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
User avatar
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4727
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 21:33
Location: Scotland

Post by BiscLimpkit »

What's the new Asterix comic called?

When Goscinny was alive, what did Uderzo do? The drawings, the dialogue, or a bit of everything?
Image
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

I didnt know the UK DVDs didnt have any English subs (Never bothered checking) so you cant listen to the French dub with English subs, didnt realise that was what you meant Gasteropod :)

Are there any DVDs available where you can?
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Aren't there subtle prejudices in most TinTins Tom/LD? Think of the made up Soviet names - Syldavia, Borduria, Klow, and how these Eastern Europeans are quite often the bad guys, or if not that, they're always very poor etc.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Interestingly I think AB mustve used the French prints on some of the UK DVDs, as I was watching the episode "The Shooting Star" and even with the audio set to English, it uses the French opening title sequence (it says "Les Aventures De Tintin" at the top).
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

In other words, Anchor Bay are a bunch of lazy twats.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

:D LOL you could say that.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Tom2681 wrote:Yep, Grim, the original language is french (or "French-Belgian" to be more precise :D ).
I've never heard the english dub.
I recall from seeing the Tintin cartoon as recent as a couple years ago, that the English dub dialogue sync'ed up perfectly... Actually I find that's the case with most piss-poor French cartoons (the Tintin cartoon was good though) that I've seen (that were dubbed into English by Canadians).

We get ALOT of Canadian junk washing up over here in NZ cuz the 2nd major TV network is owned by Canadian media giant, Canwest.

BTW is it pronounced "Tan Tan"?
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

It is in French yes, not sure why :D
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 5577
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 15:18
Location: Where you'll never find me

Post by tom2681 »

BTW is it pronounced "Tan Tan" ?
Pretty much, except that the "n" is silent.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

Hahaha, so it's 'Ta ta'. Great.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

gasteropod wrote:Hahaha, so it's 'Ta ta'. Great.
'Ta Ta' Sounds like something Thompson and Thomson would say. :wink: