The Expendables-Stallone,Li,Statham & Lundgren!

Cinema Releases, and Rumours/Discussion of Upcoming Films
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: The Expendables-Stallone,Li,Statham & Lundgren!

Post by Markgway »

Looked like a kid movie from the trailer.
Image
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Re: The Expendables-Stallone,Li,Statham & Lundgren!

Post by saltysam »

This was a bit of a let-down.pity.
working class blu-ray fan
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Re: The Expendables-Stallone,Li,Statham & Lundgren!

Post by gasteropod »

I loved Ahnoldt's cameo! Entering the building like Christ, with an odd puppet-like walk, and his endearingly terrible acting, what a legend haha. The film was all right but suffered from the horrible fast editing syndrome, good explosions though.
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: The Expendables-Stallone,Li,Statham & Lundgren!

Post by Markgway »

I got one of those Cineworld complimentary passes but the ads say it can't be used on new films.
Bah. By the time it's valid the film will be off.
I guess I'll go on Bargain Tuesday.
Still a fiver... some bargain.
Might see if there's something I can use the free pass on whilst I'm there.
Image
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Re: The Expendables-Stallone,Li,Statham & Lundgren!

Post by bradavon »

£5 in a multiplex is definitely a bargain. It's about £8 for me and a tenner in London. Most of the time I go to a smaller cinema, who charge a fiver but don't often get blockbusters. Not until weeks after anyway.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Re: The Expendables-Stallone,Li,Statham & Lundgren!

Post by gasteropod »

Mine's £6.30.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Re: The Expendables-Stallone,Li,Statham & Lundgren!

Post by bradavon »

Which chain? That's good. That's without deals? As I'm now a member of Odeon I get 25% off on Tuesdays though.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Re: The Expendables-Stallone,Li,Statham & Lundgren!

Post by gasteropod »

Yeah it's without deals, to me that's expensive though as it didn't used to be that high. I'm not sure if it is a chain, it's called Parkway Cinema in Cleethorpes.
User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14

Re: The Expendables-Stallone,Li,Statham & Lundgren!

Post by Shingster »

It's £6.50 at the Cineworld on Broad Street: Birmingham which is a state of the art cinema (smallest screen is something like 45ft), but then it's £7.00 at the Cineworld in Wolverhampton which is about as scummy as you can get and only has one large screen with surround sound! Wolverhampton is generally not a more expensive city than Birmingham as well! :icon_suspect:
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: The Expendables-Stallone,Li,Statham & Lundgren!

Post by Markgway »

Regular price here in dumbdee is £6.60 for adults.

I guess I was spoilt in my high school days when I used to skip school on Friday afternoons to visit my local fleapit (two screens - and that was after expansion in the 1980s) where a ticket cost £3.00 - and yes they screened the latest blockbusters.

Was like a second home to me. I felt like crying when it closed in 1998. Fucking multiplex bastards.

London prices are always a rip. They charge more simply because people there will pay more.

You can get DVDs and Blu Rays now for less that the cost of a single ticket. That's got to be madness.
Image
User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14

Re: The Expendables-Stallone,Li,Statham & Lundgren!

Post by Shingster »

I remember when my local cinema closed (an old cannon) it was still only £1.00 a ticket, the first multiplex in the town killed it off. I think Jurassic Park was the last major film it showed!
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Re: The Expendables-Stallone,Li,Statham & Lundgren!

Post by grim_tales »

I heard my local cinema (which closed in about 1994/95) in St. Albans will be open again at some point (couple of years?) after money has been secured to do it up again and open it. It used to be an Odeon.
Prices in Hatfield are £7-8 or something for an adult ticket now. Watford is outrageous.
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: The Expendables-Stallone,Li,Statham & Lundgren!

Post by Markgway »

Shingster wrote:I remember when my local cinema closed (an old cannon) it was still only £1.00 a ticket, the first multiplex in the town killed it off. I think Jurassic Park was the last major film it showed!
Mine was a Cannon too. That chain rocked. No bullshit, just films at good prices.
Image
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: The Expendables-Stallone,Li,Statham & Lundgren!

Post by Markgway »

Bugger. Just checked the local paper and there's nothing on at Cineworld I want to see next week.
At least nothing that isn't marked 'no free passes'.
I would've tried SALT but obviously that's new...

Anyone want to buy a Cineworld Complimentary Pass?
It's valid for 3D films (if that's your bag)
Not valid at select London cinemas.
Image
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Re: The Expendables-Stallone,Li,Statham & Lundgren!

Post by EvaUnit02 »

The cinematography in Expendables was terrible, it was hard to follow the action most of the time. It uses the faux documentary, steady cam style that only Paul Greengrass can pull off. Makes me appreciate how well done the action scenes were in the rather pants Scott Pilgrim Versus the World by comparison, TBH. (Scott Pilgrim was a huge let down after Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. It felt like a Special Olympics version of a Michel Gondry film, TBH.)

Other than that, I mostly loved it. Total throwback to the 1980's/90's action B-movies that I adore, will buy on Blu-ray for sure. Rambo 4 is still the superior film by a long shot though. 6.5/10, would've been significantly higher if it had better cinematography.
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: The Expendables-Stallone,Li,Statham & Lundgren!

Post by Markgway »

I'm gonna rewatch The Expendables on Blu or DVD where the photography and editing might prove less disorientating. I refuse to accept that I didn't like this movie! :D

BTW. I did get to use that free pass. The dude at the box office hadn't see one like that before and so gave me my ticket. Nice.
Image
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Re: The Expendables-Stallone,Li,Statham & Lundgren!

Post by romerojpg »

Nope the film is no easier to watch on DVD tried it, it still sucks.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Re: The Expendables-Stallone,Li,Statham & Lundgren!

Post by grim_tales »

Pah, well I enjoyed it! :D In spite of the flaws I pointed out, great fun film.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Re: The Expendables-Stallone,Li,Statham & Lundgren!

Post by romerojpg »

I enjoyed it, but the editing sucks like a slut trying to get a golf-ball out of a knob end.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Re: The Expendables-Stallone,Li,Statham & Lundgren!

Post by grim_tales »

Just noticed these coupla posts on Digital Spy (scroll down).
Could there be a DC of The Expendables?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/show ... st43947743
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Re: The Expendables-Stallone,Li,Statham & Lundgren!

Post by saltysam »

Stallone has already tweeted it.15 minutes longer.
working class blu-ray fan
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Re: The Expendables-Stallone,Li,Statham & Lundgren!

Post by gasteropod »

Hopefully those 15 minutes will consist of longer takes during the action sequences :thumbs:
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Re: The Expendables-Stallone,Li,Statham & Lundgren!

Post by romerojpg »

gasteropod wrote:Hopefully those 15 minutes will consist of longer takes during the action sequences :thumbs:
47548 extended shots then :lol:
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Re: The Expendables-Stallone,Li,Statham & Lundgren!

Post by grim_tales »

gasteropod wrote:Hopefully those 15 minutes will consist of longer takes during the action sequences :thumbs:
I hope so, found the editing fairly choppy.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Re: The Expendables-Stallone,Li,Statham & Lundgren!

Post by gasteropod »

Unfortunately it won't happen because that disgraceful type of editing is the in-thing at the moment :banghead: