"The Killer" and the other John Woo classics

China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Thailand, etc
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

"The Killer" and the other John Woo classics

Post by thelostdragon »

Argh... in October there will be a HK classics festival in Frankfurt which is about 250 km away from Cologne, where I live. The highlight of this year's festival are the John Woo classics. They'll show A BETTER TOMORROW, A BETTER TOMORROW II, THE KILLER, BULLET IN THE HEAD, ONCE A THIEF and HARD-BOILED. And for the first time they'll be shown in high definition through digitaL cinema.

Now... is it worth going? I mean I'd have to pay a lot for fuel or a train ticket, but I am so tempted to watch "The Killer" on the big screen.
Image
User avatar
degeneration
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1474
Joined: 30 Oct 2004, 08:49
Location: Wales (but I'm Scottish!!)

Post by degeneration »

I remember seeing Hard Boiled on the big screen 5 or 6 years ago... was awesome!
Whether it is worth it is entirely down to you. How much would you honestly be willing to pay to see these 6 films on the big screen? Some films will obviously be more than others... Now total up the rough amount that you'd honestly be willing to pay and then compare that to how much it would cost you to actually get there and get tickets to see the films.

If the two figures are about the same or you'd honestly pay more than it is going to cost, then yes it is worth going. If the cost of going is notabley more than what you'd honestly be willing to pay, then no it is not worth going.

That's my opinion anyway!
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

degeneration wrote:I remember seeing Hard Boiled on the big screen 5 or 6 years ago... was awesome!
I saw Hard-Boiled on the big screen 9 years ago when I was only 16! :D Very cool. But I happened to be in London where it was showing at the time. I wouldn't shell out big bucks to travel.
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

Post by thelostdragon »

Well, if I went, I'd probably just watch three films... "A Better Tomorrow", "Bullet in the Head" and most definitely "The Killer".

No wait... I'd watch four... "Hard Boiled".
Image
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

It all depends how much you love these films.

I doubt I'd bother personally now. I have them on DVD to watch again and again.
donnarose
Jackie Chan's Little Toe
Posts: 21
Joined: 25 Aug 2005, 01:13
Location: Massachusetts,USA

Post by donnarose »

I would pack those bags and head for the theater! I would love to see Bullet in the Head and the Killer on the big screen. Either one would be enough for me.
Any day you can get out of bed is a good day.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

As much as I like TK, HB, BITH and ABT1&2, I'd just watch my DVDs.
donnarose
Jackie Chan's Little Toe
Posts: 21
Joined: 25 Aug 2005, 01:13
Location: Massachusetts,USA

Post by donnarose »

EvaUnit02 wrote:As much as I like TK, HB, BITH and ABT1&2, I'd just watch my DVDs.
Nooooo! I'll agree some things are better on the small screen of a TV, like commercials :wink: , but a John Woo/Chow Yun Fat film? Wonderful on the big screen!
Any day you can get out of bed is a good day.
gojensen
King of Beggars
Posts: 603
Joined: 01 Nov 2004, 10:44
Location: Norway

Post by gojensen »

My screen IS big :D And most of the times I get a better enjoyment of the movie at my home theater... :D
So long, and thanks for all the fish!
donnarose
Jackie Chan's Little Toe
Posts: 21
Joined: 25 Aug 2005, 01:13
Location: Massachusetts,USA

Post by donnarose »

gojensen wrote:My screen IS big :D And most of the times I get a better enjoyment of the movie at my home theater... :D
In that case, I'd agree with you! Given I share my space (willingly, for the most part!) with a husband of 30 yrs, 2 teenage sons and varied visiting teenagers I rarely get ANY screen in my small house for very long. Walked out @ 9pm one Friday night to go see "Hero" when it was in the theater nearby. Brought a handful of Kleenex, bought a small bag of assorted candy favorites, sat right in the middle of the theater, near the front and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Even tho I'd already watched the film 3 times @ home. :D
Any day you can get out of bed is a good day.
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

Post by thelostdragon »

"Hero" is visually so stunning that I would recommend anybody to go and watch it on the big screen. It was an awesome experience.
Image
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

willingly, for the most part!
:D

Welcome to Bullets Donna, it's nice to have some female blood for a change.
donnarose
Jackie Chan's Little Toe
Posts: 21
Joined: 25 Aug 2005, 01:13
Location: Massachusetts,USA

Post by donnarose »

Welcome to Bullets Donna, it's nice to have some female blood for a change.[/quote]

Errr, given the title of this board that phrasing makes me a tad nervous :roll: That's OK :D

I like what I see and will probably enjoy many visits. I need someplace like this to help feed my passion for Asian films. Thanks!!

Most of my close friends are guys, I play co-ed soccer, I have 2 younger brothers and God in Her infinite wisdom gave me 2 sons. Think I'm gonna fit right in here :lol:
Any day you can get out of bed is a good day.
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

Don't worry about Brad, he's mostly harmless as long as you remember to lock his cage for full moons. :D
Image
donnarose
Jackie Chan's Little Toe
Posts: 21
Joined: 25 Aug 2005, 01:13
Location: Massachusetts,USA

Post by donnarose »

Markgway wrote:Don't worry about Brad, he's mostly harmless as long as you remember to lock his cage for full moons. :D
Sounds like a plan!
Any day you can get out of bed is a good day.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Err oops I didn't mean it that way but you knew that 8)

co-ed - That's a both sex college or university right? I never knew there was such a thing as a single sex college or uni.
God in Her infinite wisdom
8)
Markgway wrote:Don't worry about Brad, he's mostly harmless as long as you remember to lock his cage for full moons. :D
:D
Last edited by bradavon on 28 Aug 2005, 23:58, edited 1 time in total.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:co-ed - That's a both sex college or university right? I never knew there was such a thing as a single sex college or uni.
It can be applied to anything from my experiences of watching eons of yank TV. It's like us saying unisex barber or whatever.
gojensen
King of Beggars
Posts: 603
Joined: 01 Nov 2004, 10:44
Location: Norway

Post by gojensen »

Unisex barber? Eh... if you say so :D




"Barber" is associated with shaving in my language, whereas your barber is the plain old hairdresser/cutter
So long, and thanks for all the fish!