Page 1 of 1

Need help connecting 5.1 system...

Posted: 29 Jul 2005, 15:28
by grim_tales
Hey,

I'm having trouble getting all my 5.1 speakers working.. :? (Though some of them do). First time I tried since moving house more than 6 months ago... :oops:
I'm not getting ANY bass/rumble from the subwoofer at all when I play 5.1 (yes it is switched on) ;)

In the AV reciever (you know the amp)'s manual it says something like:
When using a subwoofer, connect the Input jack of the subwoofer system to the Subwoofer Output jack on the amplifier
Thing is I dont have a cable to connect it? I dont think I ever did.
Do the speakers have to be connected to the subwoofer as well?
I have the Yamaha RX-V52ORDS amp, and Yamaha NS-P220 5.1 speakers......

Posted: 29 Jul 2005, 15:34
by tom2681
Thing is I dont have a cable to connect it? I dont think I ever did.
That would mean you never had any .1 effects.

Obviously, you must connect the Amp to the subwoofer. The cable that connects them is usually the same kind of cable that you use for the speakers.
Do the speakers have to be connected to the subwoofer as well?

No. The subwoofer should be regarded as just another speaker.

Although on some 2.1 systems (without amp) the sub has to be connected to the speakers. I doubt this is the case here.

Posted: 29 Jul 2005, 15:39
by tom2681
Image

I guess your amp looks a little like this.
On this pic you must connect your sub using a simple composite (Cinch) cable.

Posted: 29 Jul 2005, 16:08
by grim_tales
Cheers :D Yeah it does.
For some reason (don't ask) I've found the cable I need stuck in a drawer somewhere (well it fits in the holes and connects anyway :P ), I've connected it to the "L Mono" Input on the subwoofer (wasnt sure whether to go with that or the one marked "Input 2"?) and BOOOOM there is bass in the house.

Still got 1 speaker which doesnt work though? :? Perhaps its not connected properly (the others are fine).

Bloody hell 5.1 (well 4.1 :P ) sure is LOOOUD (after not hearing it for almost half a year). :o

Posted: 29 Jul 2005, 18:23
by bradavon
Okay I have to ask what is it with you and cats Tom?

What inputs does your sub have?

I'm using a single phono to single phono but as my sub only has stereo connectors * I have a 2 to 1 adapter on one end, such as this:

Image

http://www.keene.co.uk/cgi-bin/bigcodesearch.pl?KA102

* I've no idea why as the amp's sub channel doesn't output bass in stereo (why would it need to, it's 5.1 not 5.2) and the sub only ouputs in mono (it's only one speaker after all).
grim_tales wrote:Still got 1 speaker which doesnt work though? :? Perhaps its not connected properly (the others are fine).
Which speaker doesn't work? Is it connected in properly at both ends.

Try moving it around into another socket to see if the speaker is duff (i.e - front left to front right).

Posted: 29 Jul 2005, 18:32
by grim_tales
Its the front rear (right?) speaker. Dunno if its connected properly :? The other ones are OK.

Posted: 29 Jul 2005, 20:42
by tom2681
Okay I have to ask what is it with you and cats Tom?
1: I like cats. :D
2: I hate it when people change their avatars too often because it becomes difficult to recognize them with just one look.
3: When I joined this forum I had a cat avatar (an old habit from the now defunct JackieChan.com forum).
4: As soon as you see the cat, you know it's me who's talking.
5: People usually associate the avatar with the personnality of the member.
They'd think somebody with a cat avatar can't be a bad person.
(they'd be wrong, but they don't know that :twisted: )

Image

Posted: 30 Jul 2005, 07:49
by grim_tales
:D I know what you mean Tom, back on Old Bullets I always used to associate people with their avitars - Bruce with his sunglasses, Romero with his beat up face, 68Monkey with the blue haired.. er, thing ;)

I'll try out the speakers later (when people get up). I'll ask my brother for help if 1 of them doesnt work still. :)

Posted: 30 Jul 2005, 14:05
by bradavon
Nice explanation Tom.

Posted: 31 Jul 2005, 16:25
by grim_tales
Still getting no 5.1... :? I checked the wires (going into the speakers) which are fine. Maybe its the speaker itself, I dont know.
My mum says she "doesnt want to deal with it" now (she often says that), she recalled it didnt work previously before we moved house at one point. I remember that, but I'm sure it worked afterwards.
I guess 4.1 is better than nothing :D For months I havent even had that.

Maybe I'll have to buy a new speaker. :) :?

I'll definitely watch some big films now, I cant wait any longer. :D I'm not holding out on ROTK: EE anymore :D

Re: Need help connecting 5.1 system...

Posted: 01 Jan 2011, 00:17
by saltysam
did you fix this Grim ;)

Re: Need help connecting 5.1 system...

Posted: 01 Jan 2011, 12:44
by grim_tales
Yes :D