Apocalypse Now Redux

Non-Asian Film & Release Discussion, and Serious Film-Related Discussion
Post Reply
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
Contact:

Apocalypse Now Redux

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Apocalypse Now Redux - 3.7/5
I saw Apocalype Now for the first time this week (blind bought the R4 DVD which was on sale - transfer and DD5.1 remix are fantastic).

The first hour was awesome. The last two hours were paced like a dog and frankly insane (which is obviously deliberate).
I want to see '79 theatrical cut, I imagine it would be infinitely better. The French planation was completely unnecessary.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

I thought it was fantastic but yes you're probably right the French planation sequence was overkill.

I hear the TC gets on with the film which may help but overall I'd still get it an outstanding 9 out of 10. I've not seen the TC either which is hard to get hold of now.

I own the lovely French 2 Disc SE!
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 14:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

I thought the 79 cut was poor, and the newer cut was a little better and made it fine, still far from a great film and the ending just gains it a load of old crap as Brando Ruined the film.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1994
Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 16:19

Post by Lourdes »

I thought the whole film was brilliant, Brando in particular. It's not suppsed to be a straight up war film, feel the atmosphere in those slows hours, it's superb. I still need to get hold of a copy of the workprint - 5 hours!
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
Contact:

Post by EvaUnit02 »

The Brando scenes were chilling. I'm glad he was overweight, being filmed in the shadows just enhanced the film.

It could've lost the 2nd playmate scene too (was added back into Redux).

I wouldn't call Redux the DC, just the 2001 version. Coppola is very different man from the one who he was 22 years earlier.

Pathe UK re-released the '79 TC last year, Amazon UK carry it - looks quite cheap. May pick it up later this year along with the R2 SE of Cronenberg's The Dead Zone.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

Yeah it's NOT a DC but Copolla has said in some ways it's a better cut. Which doesn't say to me he considers it the DC.

I have the TC taped off TV but I'd miss the 5.1 to much. I'll also buy it one day.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
Contact:

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote: I have the TC taped off TV but I'd miss the 5.1 to much. I'll also buy it one day.
Is it P&S as well.

Over the 3 years, they've been showing letterboxed TV shows and movies on free NZ TV. They bad thing is that scope movies (ie 2.35:1, 2.21:1, 2.40:1, etc) are cropped down to 16:9 oddly, anyway still better than P&S.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27

Post by saltysam »

the TC is £3.99 in the virgin sale if anyone's interested.
working class blu-ray fan
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

I am but there is no Virgin store near me. Salty I've pm'ed you.
EvaUnit02 wrote:
bradavon wrote: I have the TC taped off TV but I'd miss the 5.1 to much. I'll also buy it one day.
Is it P&S as well.
No but it's the very annoying home aspect ratio of 2.00:1.

I taped it off FilmFour who are a dedicated independent film channel. It would be very strange for them to release a P&S version.

It's barely scope when shown at home!
Post Reply