Page 1 of 1

Scanners Trilogy in July

Posted: 16 May 2005, 19:24
by bradavon
Great:

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=57154

Scanners has:

* 1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
* Stereo 2.0 plus optional 5.1 and DTS audio
* Subtitles for the hard of hearing
* "Inside Scan: Scanners" - an in-depth examination of Scanners by genre critic Alan Jones
* "The Directors: The Films Of David Cronenberg" documentary
* Biographies, film notes, stills and trailers

I've been waiting for a decent DVD for ages. I've only seen the first and don't really have any interest in seeing the sequels. The original is great sci-fi B movie stuff!

Posted: 17 May 2005, 14:09
by EvaUnit02
Hoorah. I hope the pricing is reasonable, since GBP exchange rate can be murder.

I almost bought the barebones Universal R4s of this and The Brood, glad I hesitated.

I wish it was available separate of the sequels.

Posted: 17 May 2005, 18:48
by bradavon
It is. Re-read the PR.

I made the same mistake.

Posted: 19 May 2005, 11:05
by EvaUnit02
Ah cheers Brad. Sweet, I'll be getting these upcoming R2's of Scanners and The Brood for sure... as long as the pricing is reasonable.

Posted: 19 May 2005, 12:08
by bradavon
I'll be getting Scanners. I have no interest in the sequels even if they are good.

Posted: 20 May 2005, 14:47
by EvaUnit02
bradavon wrote:I'll be getting Scanners. I have no interest in the sequels even if they are good.
Ditto. I only want the first one by Cronenberg. I hope the "2.0 Stereo" track is actually the original mono track as Dave(?) over at DVDtimes speculated after past experiences with ABUK's efforts.

Posted: 20 May 2005, 18:54
by bradavon
I'll compare the DTS with the DD2.0 but probably use the DTS tbh.

Posted: 27 Jul 2005, 00:33
by EvaUnit02
I've got ABUK's releases of Scanners (Cronenberg's original only, not the trilogy boxset with some crap sequels) and The Brood on the way from cd-wow. I'll let you guys know how the DVD efforts are.

Posted: 05 Aug 2005, 00:41
by EvaUnit02
Scanners and Brood arrived about a week ago. The PQ on both sets is good - didn't bother with the 5.1 remixes though, as I've said in the past 5.1 remixes of originally mono films suck IMO.

The Brood has both the UK edited cut and the unrated cut. All the extras and sound remixes are on the edited version disc. The Unrated cut has slightly inferior PQ but is far from being terrible (plus only the original mono).