The Thing (1982)

Non-Asian Film & Release Discussion, and Serious Film-Related Discussion
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

The Thing (1982)

Post by Markgway »

Just got the R1 remaster and noticed that there's a plastic slipcase that looks really cheap covering the cardboard - you can even see the glue holding it together. Did anyone else get this and can it (should it?) be taken off? If the plastic is removed does the carboard fall apart? I don't want to damage the cardboard or do something that can't be undone.
ReconFive
King of Beggars
Posts: 519
Joined: 26 Dec 2004, 05:56
Location: Bangkok, Thailand

Post by ReconFive »

I have the R1 SE myself and there are no problems with the slipcase at all. It slides off vertically like any other, and the cardboard thing just opens up.

Sorry i'm not more help.
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

ReconFive wrote:I have the R1 SE myself and there are no problems with the slipcase at all. It slides off vertically like any other, and the cardboard thing just opens up. Sorry i'm not more help.
I knew I wasn't explaining it right... :D

I know the plastic slips off. But I was wondering if the lamenated part was supposed to have the glue showing as it does? It looks really crap. Is that meant to be taken off or is it just a shoddy packaging job? I just looked at the case again and I unfortunately think that the glue is meant to be holding the lamenated sleeve together. Can't believe a major like Universal turned out something so poor.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Is the ghastly coverart only on the slipcase?

Image
So FUCKING AWFUL.
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

Yeah, it's rubbish packaging. But the best version of the movie.

It's a bit like a digipack in a slipcase. When you take the digipack out it reveals more of the artwork (at present you can only see the melting face). The slipcase is a cheap, badly glued together plastic sleeve. Shameful from Universal for a modern horror classic.

But as I said it's 16:9 and that's most important.
Image
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Isnt the R2 SE 16/9 as well? :?
User avatar
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1950
Joined: 08 Dec 2004, 16:49

Post by IronMonkey »

Nope... Not the current one anyway... Is there going to be a re-release over here too?
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

IronMonkey wrote:Nope... Not the current one anyway... Is there going to be a re-release over here too?
I doubt it, the current R2/4 CE was released in late 2003. Just get the new R1.

Christ, import-phobic people are really short-changing their options by being stubborn morons.
User avatar
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1950
Joined: 08 Dec 2004, 16:49

Post by IronMonkey »

Excuse me?! :o

I'm most certainly not "import-phobic" as you so politely put it. Well over half of my collection is R1 & R3 material. I buy most of my American films from the US because I prefer NTSC picture and usually better extras, and I buy most of my Asian films from Hong Kong.

In fact, the bulk of my R2 collection is HKL DVDs and American films which are the same as their R1 counterparts but cheaper in sales...

I am by no means "short-changing" myself by being a "stubborn moron". I was mearly speculating as to whether the current R2 DVD of The Thing would be updated to include an anamorphic transfer, thats all...
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

The UK version was re-released a few months back with that new cover! so surley its anamprhic now!? if not why re-release it with new packaging the same as the R1 :?


and hey shame they messed about with the transfer a lot and changed colours etc... well its a shame for people who are really anal I guess :D
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

romerojpg wrote:and hey shame they messed about with the transfer a lot and changed colours etc... well its a shame for people who are really anal I guess :D
Big deal, the movie is finally anamorphic.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

I received the anamorphic R1 CE last week, haven't watch it yet.

BTW sorry to IronMonkey.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

EvaUnit02 wrote:
romerojpg wrote:and hey shame they messed about with the transfer a lot and changed colours etc... well its a shame for people who are really anal I guess :D
Big deal, the movie is finally anamorphic.
Yes its a big deal if it looks crap and nothing is like it suposed to look. If the sky suposed to be blue and they turn it into red, thats a big deal.