Whats your ultimate DVD Wishlist?

Non-Asian Film & Release Discussion, and Serious Film-Related Discussion
Post Reply
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Whats your ultimate DVD Wishlist?

Post by grim_tales »

What titles would you really like to see on DVD? Suppose you could buy all the companies and tell them what to release, what would you say? :D

Here's mine:

Star Wars (original Trilogy) w/DTS.. none of this SE nonsense. If Lucas's tweaked versions have to be there, do it via branching.

The Matrix with remastered transfer and DTS - forget the sequels 8)

Simpsons (insert season number here) box with a Bart/Homer head (Sorry I have been hanging out on Imports forum) :wink:

Knightmare (you know the 90's ITV adventure series) :)

The Crystal Maze.. from Richard O' Brien to Ed Tudor Pole :D Better yet, put all the DVDs in a large crystal/pyramid thing.

Maid Marian and her Merry Men - this NEEDS to be released on DVD. What an ace show :D
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Re: Whats your ultimate DVD Wishlist?

Post by bradavon »

Good question and my mind has gone blank. I'll be back.
grim_tales wrote:Star Wars (original Trilogy) w/DTS.. none of this SE nonsense. If Lucas's tweaked versions have to be there, do it via branching.
I have this but that's another story :rr:

10,9,8,7 oh sorry I'm counting down until a confused Grim replies :D
User avatar
degeneration
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1474
Joined: 30 Oct 2004, 09:49
Location: Wales (but I'm Scottish!!)

Post by degeneration »

brad - I'm gonna guess ebay and one of the 'official' Chinese releases?!

As for cool sort of gimmicky boxes like the Simpson's head thing, how about:

Babylon 5, everything in a station mock up or something like that...

One all the Harry Potter's are out, all of them sitting on a broomstick!!

They are all just gimmicky things though...
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Don't worry Brad I get it. :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

degeneration wrote:brad - I'm gonna guess ebay and one of the 'official' Chinese releases?!
You're half right. It is Chinese but I bought it in some dodgy coffee shop (while having a coffee I might add) in Beijing.

I was well shocked to find out when I got home they were the original TCs (I didn't notice for nearly a year and it was only then by mistake). The quality isn't great, non-anamorphic with burnt in Chinese subs in the black borders.

The DTS goes WELL out of sync after the first 20 mins, by minutes not seconds. The DD5.1 is fine.
User avatar
degeneration
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1474
Joined: 30 Oct 2004, 09:49
Location: Wales (but I'm Scottish!!)

Post by degeneration »

You get what you pay for I guess!!

For a while before the Original Trilogy was given a release date, I was toying with buying one of the trilogy sets on ebay that were on DVD, just so I could have them. Prob will be better quality ones around the ones you got, but I'm still glad I didn't.

I'd like to have the Theatrical versions, but I'm not that bothered to shell out another £30+ probably to get a non-legit version.

I want a Red Dwarf, series 1-8 collection in one box set modelled into Star Bug or something like that...
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

They'll probably do thay eventually ;)
Mordib
King of Beggars
Posts: 673
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:25
Location: Irn Bru
Contact:

Post by Mordib »

twin peaks series 2 - they seem to have pretty much given up on this. i cant really blame them, all the hassles with so many different companies owning various rights as well as the fact there are less fans trully interested in the 2nd series as there were with the first.

Maid Marian and her Merry Men- loved to see this released and hopefully it will sooner rather than later. i actually saw Tony Robinson (baldrick plus the person behind the aformetnioned childrens show) live recently and it was brought up. \Hes so dedicated to the cause he is actually looking at ways he could get the rights to it and get it released himself... great stuff...

Battle Angel (Alita) - well, this anime has already technically been releaqsed a couple of times but as far as i know none of them were even vaguely decent enough to actually buy. if I had total control I would release it all as one movie, with the subs done by some of the more prominent fansubbers out there.

in fact i would love to see many anime tv series (hellsing, samurai champloo, HiME etc etc) rereleased with the fansubbers hired to do the subs....
Image
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

You met Tony? Cool 8) I met him too at a recent book signing/show (last year) of "The Worst Jobs In History" - forgot to mention that though ;)

He's a really nice guy :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

I second Twin Peaks: S2.

I've not seen it for years if I were to buy S1 and FWWM would I be uber confused? (more than I'm supposed to be).
degeneration wrote:You get what you pay for I guess!!
At £1.50 (50p each) and owning it about 3 years before anyone else I can cope :D . Besides I also bought the 97 SEs on bootleg DVD which are much better quality (of course not even close to the official DVDs).

Still non-anamorphic though. I believe these come from the laserdiscs. I've no idea where the originals were sourced.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
Contact:

Post by EvaUnit02 »

I list what comes to me at the mo:-
Blade Runner SE - A beautiful transfer of '82 TC, '92 DC & '01 Definitive DC accessible via seamless branching; 5.1 remix + original audio mix; At the very least a Ridley Scott commentary; a definitive documentary covering everything.
Last edited by EvaUnit02 on 11 May 2005, 23:18, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

There a 2 Blade Runner DC's? :? Whats the difference?
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
Contact:

Post by EvaUnit02 »

grim_tales wrote:There a 2 Blade Runner DC's? :? Whats the difference?
One is the rushed job Ridley did in 1992 (the one which we've all seen). The latter is Ridley's definitive DC which he cut in 2001 for the proposed Warner 3-disc SE which was supposed to be released, but hasn't seen the light of day cuz of that arsehole Jerry Perenchio.

Fucking Jerry Perenchio. For years I've wanted to see the original '82 TC to hear the detective noir narration. I don't wanna track down some ancient VHS to see it.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
Contact:

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Season boxset releases of:
Ed
Chicago Hope
The Practice
Picket Fences
Rocko's Modern Life - far superior to Spongebob IMO.
Tiny Toon Adventures
Animaniacs
Pinky and the Brain
Gargoyles S2&3
Big Wolf on Campus - fun little Canadian series

Season boxset releases (instead of shitty compilations) of:
90's X-Men Animated Series
90's Spider-Man Animated Series
Batman Beyond - Excellent in it's own right
Aeon Flux - Paramount(?) will hopefully put this out to milk the release of the upcoming live-action feature.

Remastered anamorphic versions of:
Patlabor 1&2
Wings of Honneamise
Evangelion: Death & Rebirth
End of Evangelion
Tsui Hark's The Blade - receive HKL-esque treatment

Never been released on DVD:
Ringo Lam's School on Fire - receive HKL-esque treatment
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Spot on with the 90's Spider-Man animated series. :D I also liked Pinky and the Brain, Animanics, Tiny Toons and X-Men. :D

Rocko's Modern Life was funny. I remember that on Channel 4.
User avatar
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1950
Joined: 08 Dec 2004, 16:49

Post by IronMonkey »

Pedicab Driver.
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Is that only on VHS IM?
User avatar
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1950
Joined: 08 Dec 2004, 16:49

Post by IronMonkey »

I have no idea. But I know there has never been a decent DVD, maybe not even a DVD release at all. I'm not sure. I haven't even seen the film but everyone raves about it...
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
f_drew
Jackie Chan's BIG toe
Posts: 42
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 09:04

Post by f_drew »

Got Pedicab on MIHK VHS (from Tescos). Good film, with some great action, shame it's not been released.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
Contact:

Post by EvaUnit02 »

I'm pretty sure Pedicab Driver is on VCD... meh.
Post Reply