New WB Re-releases/SE's/Announcements

Non-Asian Film & Release Discussion, and Serious Film-Related Discussion
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

New WB Re-releases/SE's/Announcements

Post by grim_tales »

I read this over at DVD Talk, there was a chat over at Home Theater Forum with one of the people from Warner Bros.

For example, there will be a new "Wizard of Oz: SE" release this year.

Maybe this will be a 2 or 3 disc set even?

Looney Tunes Golden Collection Volume 3 before Christmas

No further update on the Tom and Jerry edited cartoon issues. :(

The Ben Hur boxset will have a new transfer from newly restored 65mm elements. Also, the 1925 version of Ben Hur ( :o ) will be in the boxset along with new content. :D

They have a date for King Kong (1933 SE) but won't tell us.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416383

:D

I'd be interested to check out Ben Hur and have never bought Wizard of Oz. Looking forward to Looney Tunes though but I'm a bit behind with that (not bought Vol. 2 yet).
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

I wonder when Wizard of Oz will be out? I've heard talk of a 2 disc or possibly 3 disc SE.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

Any other releases talked about? So the Charlton Heston film was a remake? I didn't know this.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Yeah it was. I think there was even a version made before 1925 but I'm not sure.
In 1925 Ben-Hur was the most expensive film ever made.
In 1959.. Ben-Hur was the most expensive film ever made. ;)
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

There is a "Green Mile" and "LA Confidential" SE in the works.
Another Warner Bros "Gangster" boxset for 2006, also some more theme boxsets.

The Batman films will be released as SE's 8) I hope this just means the first three, Batman/Batman Returns (though I havent seen Batman Forever) from them on they were pish (Batman and Robin? :roll: )
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

What is planned for LAC? I'm more than happy with my current DVD so I doubt I'll bother. Only the first two Batman films are any good. The reason why is obvious! I'd buy a Batman: SE but not any of the sequels.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Not even Returns? That was quite good :)
Dunno what is planned for LA:C SE, I'm sure it would have DTS etc though.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

It was but it's not a keeper IMO. The Joker makes Batman for me.

These are WB titles there is no way it will have DTS!
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

Looking foward to the SE's of Batman and Batman Returns.

Have no interest in the Schoomaker films... :wink:
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
Contact:

Post by EvaUnit02 »

I'm glad that Warner delayed their Sam Peckinpah boxset until 2006. There's too much stuff for me to buy this year.

R1 Leone SEs (MGM)
R1 General Dundee Extended SE (Sony)

...and already released DVDs I've been wanting to buy:-
R2 Full Contact HKL
Straw Dogs SE (either R1 Criterion or R2 SE)
R1 Dawn of the Dead: Ultimate Ed
R1 Day of the Dead SE
R1 Clerks X
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

I'm sure Straw Dogs: Criterion is now OOP.

What Sam Peckinpah box set? Will it include a "Wild Bunch: SE"?
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

I thought there had been a SE (new transfer?) to replace the horrid flipper of TWB. :?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

Nope. It's been planned for ages but not arrived.

Bar it being a flipper it's actually a pretty good release.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
Contact:

Q

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:I'm sure Straw Dogs: Criterion is now OOP.

What Sam Peckinpah box set? Will it include a "Wild Bunch: SE"?
WBHV have been working on a Peckinpah boxset for a while now. The content titles haven't been announced yet, but I'm guessing that it's high likely to contain a new Wild Bunch SE and Warner's soon-to-be-released Getaway SE (available in their Steve McQueen: Essential Collection boxset, or separately); they'd be utter muppets if they don't.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Hey,

According to DVD Talk there are supposed to be SE's of the first 4 Batman films later this year on R1, including a new DC of Forever.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=419836
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 20:30

Post by bradavon »

LOL a DC of Forever stop I'm in pain. As long as you can buy them separately I don't care. There is no way I'd pay to own parts 3 or 4.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

DVD Answers has news of a new R1 4 disc SE of Ben Hur:

http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0 ... &n=1&burl=
Title: Ben Hur
Starring: Charlton Heston
Released: September 2005
SRP: Price TBC

Further Details
Warner has kindly sent over artwork for a four-disc collector's edition of Ben Hur which should be arriving in shops this September. The set has yet to be officially announced I'm afraid, so details are still pretty sketchy at the moment. However, we can confirm that the set will feature an all-new transfer from newly restored 65mm elements, as well as the original 1925 silent film version of Ben-Hur. As for the extra material, you should expect an all new documentary, scene specific commentary by Charlton Heston, a Making of an Epic Documentary, screen tests and more. We'll bring you the full spec rundown, just as soon as we get it. For now though, here's our first look at the official region one package artwork.

I'd like to see this though.
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

grim_tales wrote:According to DVD Talk there are supposed to be SE's of the first 4 Batman films later this year on R1, including a new DC of Forever.
The new movie prequel 'Batman Begins' comes out Stateside on June 15th and a week later in the UK, so I would expect the Box Set about then. I hope the SEs are released separately so I can just buy the first two. If not, I'll buy the box and sell the Shoemaker's entries. 8)
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:27

Post by saltysam »

very much doubt they'll be out in june,would've been announced by now.probably around november tieing in with the dvd of batman begins.
working class blu-ray fan
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

saltysam wrote:very much doubt they'll be out in june,would've been announced by now.probably around november tieing in with the dvd of batman begins.
Ah, of course. That makes more sense. :oops: :D
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
Contact:

Re: Q

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:I'm sure Straw Dogs: Criterion is now OOP.

What Sam Peckinpah box set? Will it include a "Wild Bunch: SE"?
I've read though the Peckinpah thread on thedvdforums and it looks like the set will contain R1 Warner's entire Peckinpah back-catalogue:- The Wild Bunch, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (including a new cut), The Getaway, The Ballad of Cable Hogue, Ride the High Country. A shame Warner USA don't hold the rights to Cross of Iron like Warner UK do - ah well, the barebones 1.85:1 Anamorphic release is decent enough, the transfer is from a largely clean source.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Hey,

On DVD Talk there is talk of a R1 Warner Bros "Greta Garbo" boxset to celebrate what would have been her 100th birthday.

I'm unlikely to buy these of course, still they'd be interesting to see as I'm not used to seeing very old classic films.

This includes a set of her early silent movies and other films.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=422264
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

grim_tales wrote:On DVD Talk there is talk of a R1 Warner Bros "Greta Garbo" boxset to celebrate what would have been her 100th birthday.
DVD Times gives you specs and cover art. If you're a collector of golden age cinema this may be a good Xmas gift.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Not really a collector of such things, but I am curious/interested. :) Do you like watching old classics?
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

grim_tales wrote:Not really a collector of such things, but I am curious/interested. :) Do you like watching old classics?
Sometimes. Maybe not so much the dramas... I don't think I've seen a Garbo film, though my Dad is a fan. I like these guys: James Cagney, Humphrey Bogart, Errol Flynn, Cary Grant, Fred Astaire.
Post Reply