EvaUnit02 wrote:It's either IE or Chrome.
You're lucky. Most people where I work are stuck with IE6, some are on IE7 or IE8.
EvaUnit02 wrote:Eg I have the habit of frequently emptying the cache/history/cookies/etc on public PCs. To delete everything, the option is buried in the History pane, requiring several mouse clicks to find. In Firefox the option is easily accessible from the Tools menu.
It's the same amount of clicks as Firefox 4 and only one less than Firefox 3.x:
1. Spanner (Firefox menu in Firefox 4)
2. Tools
3. Clear Browsing Data
You can turn legacy menus back on in Firefox 4 but why you'd want to, I've no idea.
EvaUnit02 wrote:I'd be fine with it being off by default to avoid confusing the MacOS-tard users, just give us the OPTION.
Menus are so 1990s! Besides there's nothing power usage about them. It often takes more clicks with menus.
EvaUnit02 wrote:(On a related note, in the past I had made a mountain of a molehill with MS' Ribbon. When I actually was forced to use it, it took me about 2 minutes to master. It's even clearer in Office 2010, improved since 2007.)
It's excellent. Like a lot of things, you just need to get used to it.
EvaUnit02 wrote:Yeah, I wasn't talking about under-the-hood customisation, I meant on the surface. Namely I can't move around or disable a lot of the UI elements, like back, forward, home, etc. You've been able to customise the shit out of Firefox's UI since Day 1, all those years ago.
Fair point. You can disable home (it's disabled by default in fact) but cannot move any of the buttons. I'd like to be able to move the Extensions buttons, they're all on the far right of the address bar and can be moved within their group but nowhere else. It's not a strong enough reason to stick with a sluggish browser though and by sluggish I really means load and general usage.
EvaUnit02 wrote:I'd imagine that those with piddly RAM amounts like 2GB might struggle.
I've now got 3GB, up from 2GB.
Technically I've got 4GB and despite the motherboard supporting it (it recognises it in the BIOS) and Toshiba advertising it as supporting 4GB (it's literally the reason I went with this laptop, over others at the time in my price bracket that didn't), I can only make use of 3GB because the fuckers haven't released a BIOS update so Windows can actually make use of the extra 1GB (it can see it though, just to rub salt into the wound). I forget what the motherboard must support for Windows to be able to make use of the extra 1GB but it fucking doesn't.
I deliberately went with Windows 7 x64 (and spent some time sourcing all the drivers because Toshiba were too lazy to provide me with an x64 drivers page, despite having suitable drivers, you've just got to go hunting) to find I may as well have gone with Windows 7 x86. It's put me off buying Toshiba again.
I've noticed no difference going from 3GB to 2GB. Firefox didn't do this very often to be fair but it did happen.
Yes I would definitely welcome Firefox style customisation greatly but Chrome is just so slick, I can live without it. The majority of my extensions are now supported (like Adblock Plus).
I have no issue with Chrome's extension support, I already recognise that it's very good.
I've had Firefox customised to do this since v1.0, I don't get why you think it's a massive revelation.
How? I used to create a keyword so I could type "g ..." but that's an extra thing to type so it realises you mean Google. You've got Firefox set to automatically search Google if whatever you're typing in doesn't end .com, .co.uk etc...?
EvaUnit02 wrote:What's that? Some laptop business I'm assuming? Like a double-tap on the trackpad = a double-click?
MAC OS X (and some Windows Laptops) support multi-touch on the trackpad, much like you can on iPhone/Android. It sounds neat but is rare on Windows laptops.
If Bookmarks Toolbar is disabled then you can put the Bookmarks drop-down icon anywhere you like.
Exactly! Just to add salt to the wound. I want the bloody bookmarks bar. Why can I not move this and also have the bookmarks bar. It's especially surprising Mozilla haven't allowed this.
No argument from me there, Safari and IE are indeed garbage.
Have you used IE9? It's a "hell of a lot better" but at the end of the day, it's still IE. Still no fucking extensions and barely no customisation. It is at least "usable" now and is much faster in all respects. It'll continue to be my backup browser.
EvaUnit02 wrote:The only thing missing is extension support.
Added with Opera 11 but extensions are very limited. Only IE doesn't support extensions now.
Opera is very good but Firefox and Chrome are also very good, I have no use for it. I only use IE one occasion and a site just works better in it or it wants ActiveX (thankfully very rare).