Page 1 of 2
Gladiator - New "SE" (?) News.. aka SE's no-one as
Posted: 09 Mar 2005, 09:05
by grim_tales
I read this over at the DVD Talk Forums, who got the Info from The Digital Bits.com (or is it just Digital Bits, I don't know).
From DigitalBits:
Also today, we have word that DreamWorks is currently in production on a new DVD special edition of Ridley Scott's Gladiator, that will feature all new extras (different than what was featured on the previous release) and possibly an extended version of the film itself.
Unless this is some uber- extended cut (and I mean really extended, like at least half an hour to an hour longer, not just a few minutes) and the extras are worthwhile, I'm not even going to consider double dipping.
If all the extras are are some previews and fluff for Gladiator 2 (I would guess) then Universal/Dreamworks can piss off
The current 2 disc w/DTS is fine IMO.

Posted: 09 Mar 2005, 20:06
by bradavon
This has been rumoured before:
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=11253
Like you unless it contains lots more footage I wouldn't bother.
Posted: 10 Mar 2005, 11:24
by grim_tales
Thanks Brad.

I agree BTW.
For all we know it may be just the deleted scenes on the DVD inserted back in the movie, in which case I won't bother...
Blimey I didnt realise that was so long ago, its' like. last year!

Posted: 12 Apr 2005, 10:12
by grim_tales
Hey,
Here are the final specs for the DVD, mentioned at DVD Talk forum:
DISC ONE: EXTENDED FEATURE FILM
All-new, widescreen extended version of the film, including 17 minutes of additional footage.
Original theatrical version
Introduction to extended edition by Director Ridley Scott
"Are You Not Entertained?" Trivia track, including historical references and production details
Deleted Footage Marker. Guide to help indentify the newly restored footage.
DISC TWO: BEHIND THE SCENES
"Strength and Honor: Creating the World of Gladiator" Extended-length (200 mins) documentary features never-before-seen footage.
"Tale of the Scribes": Crafting the story
"The Tools of War": Weapons and vehicles
"Attire of the Realm": Costume Design
"The Heat of Battle": 3 Production Journal Featurettes
"Resurrecting Proximo": Digitally salvaged scenes with actor Oliver Reed after his untimely passing
"The Glore of Rome": Oscar-winning Visual Effects
"Echoes in Eternity": The film's release and global impact
DISC THREE: IMAGE AND DESIGN
Production Design Primer and Gallery
Storyboard Demonstrations and Comparisons
Abandoned Sequences
Ridleygrams: Ridley Scott's own sketches
Costume Design Gallery
Photo Galleries
Deleted Scenes
Letters From the Front: Authentic memos on the challenges of production
Commodus Screen Test (Joaquin Phoenix)
Visual Effects Explorations
An Evening with Russell Crowe
And Much More!
Hmmm.

If it has DTS I may even upgrade/double dip as the original version is in the set as well. Cool

I hope its done via seamless branching though, and not some naff icon popping up on the screen so you have to press enter everytime it comes up.

That "deleted footage marker" thing worries me..

(Yes Romero I know you have to do that with Shaolin Soccer but this is different, it could really ruin an epic film like Gladiator whereas Shaolin Soccer was a fun, goofy comedy).
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418159
Posted: 12 Apr 2005, 12:47
by bradavon
Is this confirmed or just rumours?
If it's confirmed I'll get it if it's seamless branching but not if it's not. Will the 17 minutes be just the deleted scenes though?
All other releases have had DTS so I suspect this will.
Posted: 12 Apr 2005, 12:52
by grim_tales
I don't think its just the older deleted scenes, there are "deleted scenes" mentioned in this package as well.
I also want to know about the branching. Yes it is confirmed (specs-wise) I think, its from an advert someone saw in a magazine and the release date is early June.
200 min documentary? Bloody hell, thats' taking a leaf out of the LOTR: EE's book!

Posted: 13 Apr 2005, 12:19
by grim_tales
Hmm. I just read this at The Digital Bits about Gladiator EE:
"We've checked with our sources and learned that, because this title is still in production, this list isn't entirely correct (although the final release should be very close to this). For one thing, the 3 hour and 20 minute Strength and Honor: Creating the World of Gladiator documentary takes up virtually the entire second disc in the set. The other "extras" you see listed under this on Disc Two are actually the titles of chapters of the documentary, some of which have changed since this list was issued. We've learned that a couple of the special features listed were from an early disc proposal and are not part of this set, while you should also expect a few additional special features not yet revealed. Finally, we've learned that there will be no DTS track, owing to the disc space demands of including two versions of the film on a single DVD disc via seamless branching, while still keeping the presentation quality high (an unfortunate but understandable sacrifice that will nevertheless likely be a sticking point with some fans). We'll update you as things become more finalized on this release. Look for an announcement from DreamWorks and Universal on this title sometime in the next few months, along with final disc specs and the official release date"
No DTS track? Bugger

Surely there'd be enough space for DTS?

Hell, T2 had 3 versions of the film, commentary tracks AND DD and DTS-ES tracks on one disc and the presentation was superb, and that was almost 5 years ago. LOTR: EE has this too (though admittedly the film is split over 2 discs this time).
So perhaps Gladiator is 2 discs now not 3? I still might double dip though for the EE and unique extras.
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html#0412:
Posted: 13 Apr 2005, 21:24
by bradavon
I'm not saying it's not true but just remember "The Digital Bits" is a very much rumour run website, like Monkey Peaches. ALL other releases have had DTS.
Terminator 2 by today's standards isn't fantastic. It is to me but not most people. As for the space limitations issue that's bollocks the film is only 17 minutes extra!
Fox pulled that one as a reason for leaving off DTS from "Road to Perdition". A: The R1 had it plus DD5.1 (if you bought the DTS version) and B: I checked the disc had at least 1Gb free not being used. Half bit-rate is 700-800Mb on average, considering most films are around the 100-120 minute mark.
If it it doesn't have DTS then the extra footage will have to be very good!
Posted: 14 Apr 2005, 14:00
by EvaUnit02
No DTS, no sale IMO. I don't have Gladiator yet, I'll pick up a 2nd copy of the original R1 SE off Amazon Marketplace sometime (for the DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete track).
Posted: 15 Apr 2005, 16:18
by bradavon
I take it you have 6.1 then? Is there much difference in reality between discrete and matrix?
Posted: 19 Apr 2005, 08:26
by EvaUnit02
bradavon wrote:Is there much difference in reality between discrete and matrix?
Nope, my rig is just 5.1. I just want DVDs I buy to be future proof, for when I do eventually upgrade to a 6.1 component audio rig.
Posted: 19 May 2005, 21:29
by bradavon
Cover art has been added here. It looks pretty good:
http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?c=6410
Still no DTS!
I may upgrade IF the extra footage adds much, just like I may get Alexander DC on top of my already excellent 3 Disc LE.
I'm not interested in upgrading for the extras as they're already very good.
Posted: 19 May 2005, 22:13
by bradavon
According to DVD Compare the deleted scenes are 18 minutes, the extended cut footage is 16 minutes. Could it just be the deleted scenes? It's not called a DC after all.
Anyway here is the link:
http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=573
p.s - Some of the extras are missing such as the excellent "Gladiator Games: Roman Blood Sport documentary".
Posted: 13 Jul 2005, 22:20
by bradavon
The Scandinavian R2 will be the same + DTS:
www.discshop.se/LIVE/shop/ds_produkt.php?lang=&id=46495
www.dvdsverige.com/p_ShowItem.asp?ItemID=UV8235627
DVD Sverige have an English option if you create an easy account:
http://www.dvdsverige.com/P_login.asp?t ... sp?Lang=EN
Same cover art as the Japanese and German DVDs, i.e - Yuck! but for DTS so what.
I'm hoping
www.DVDoo.com stock this (Danish, the other two are Swedish) as they're usually cheaper and offer a very good service. I'll e-mail them.
Posted: 14 Jul 2005, 07:46
by grim_tales
Will you be getting it Brad?
Posted: 14 Jul 2005, 12:14
by bradavon
If it's a decent price probably. DVDoo can be very good value for money and offer a great service so fingers crossed they will stock it.
Axel Music (who I've also e-mailed) have a .dk site which is in Danish and stocks their Danish DVD range. I've asked if it will be on that site. If those two get it at a decent price (sub £15) then "mostly likely". If one of the others get it also at a decent price then maybe.
Ultimately I want to hear what's better in the new scenes first. It will be those solely making me upgrade.
Posted: 14 Jul 2005, 17:27
by bradavon
I've had word back from DVDoo who will be stocking it. I've replied to confirm DTS:
From: Dvdoo Kundeservice [mailto:kundeservice@dvdoo.dk]
Sent: 14 July 2005 12:15
To: XXX
Subject: RE: Gladiator - Extended 3 disc special edition Question
Hello Bradavon (
)
Yes and the danish release date is 21/9-2005, so look for it on the homepage in the near future.
p.s - Okay so I made the Bradavon part up 8)
Posted: 14 Jul 2005, 19:52
by grim_tales
If the new scenes add to the film I may double dip then (they are different scenes from the deleted ones on the current DVD right?)
Posted: 14 Jul 2005, 20:36
by bradavon
I believe so but who knows until it's reviewed.
Posted: 15 Jul 2005, 06:58
by grim_tales
OK.
Posted: 15 Jul 2005, 12:16
by bradavon
www.Axelmusic.dk will stock this and it will be 249.95DKK (£23) before postage.
They charge a nominal fee for shipping from the Danish site (the DVDs ship from Denmark instead of Germany). I can't remember how much postage is but it's not much. I'll have a look tonight.
At £23 it's to much for me but I'm sure it will go down soon enough. Fingers crossed DVDoo can beat this.
They've also confirmed DTS.
Posted: 18 Jul 2005, 22:40
by bradavon
Bad news guys the Scandinavian DVD won't have DTS. Axel music have confirmed this and even sent me the rear cover art

(pm me your e-mail address and I'll forward it on to you) .
The only upside being I won't be spending a small fortune to get DTS. I've replied asking to confirm if this will be the Scandinavian or Danish DVD without DTS (I suspect it's the Scandinavian DVD).
I must say Axel music has one of the best customer services departments on the web, easily up there with CD WOW! In some ways better.
I'll wait for reviews to see how much better the new footage is, it all depends on that for me.
Posted: 11 Aug 2005, 09:29
by grim_tales
Brad have you found out whether one DVD will have DTS yet?
BTW have you seen the R1 cover at Play USA? (Not that I'd buy from them).
It looks much better:
http://www.playusa.com/playusa.asp?pa=s ... tle=677156
Posted: 11 Aug 2005, 18:21
by saltysam
actually £17.99 is not too bad a price for a 3 disc set.it's £19.99 at movietyme and axel, mine's just been sent from dvdpacific but offhand i don't think it was much cheaper tbh.
Posted: 11 Aug 2005, 18:25
by grim_tales
Let us know what you think and if its worth double dipping
