Customs limit lifted!?

Literally. Unless it Should Go Elsewhere
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Customs limit lifted!?

Post by grim_tales »

I read this on Imports Forum - from 1 December the customs limit on importing goods (£18/22€) will be lifted:

http://www.theimportforums.com/viewtopi ... 707#330707

I'm sure it will apply to us in the UK too! No more worrying about whether a supplier is customs friendly, great :D
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

I hope so.
It's ridiculous that you pay taxes all year long, and then when you order something from another country, you'll have to pay your own goverment money for something they have absolutely nothing to do with.

It will make importing hardware a lot easier. You will be able to buy a console for half the price.
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Can you copy/paste please Grim I still cannot get into sodding Import forum.

I find it next to impossible to believe they'd suddenly stop such a lucrative way of making money. Just like speed cameras and the television license.
Last edited by bradavon on 07 Apr 2008, 23:20, edited 1 time in total.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1994
Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 16:19

Post by Lourdes »

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex ... 002:EN:PDF

Point 3 on pages 1 and 2.

Can't find anything more than that.
User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14

Post by Shingster »

bradavon wrote:Can you copy/paste please Grim I still cannot get into sodding Import forum.

I find it next to impossible to believe they'd suddenly stop such a lucrative way of making money. Just like speed cameras and the television license.
Customs in this country hate the £18 limit, because it costs them more to process the sheer volume of products coming in that cost more than £18 than they actually make from the V.A.T.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Here's the link Godfather used on Imports Forum. It's in German, but it basically says they're doing it as the amount hasnt been changed since 1991. Which is what Lourdes' link said too.

http://www.areadvd.de/news/2008/200804/ ... Zoll.shtml
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Thanks Grim and Lourdes. I had trouble understanding Lourdes's link.

OMG so the limit will increase from £18 to a whopping £120.

I hope this means orders over £120 (namely HD Players) won't be charged more than they are currently, but obviously for most orders this is reason to rejoice. :D

I always thought the point was we hadn't paid TAX on the goods hence the charge but it was set to £18 so little things with no value weren't stopped either. If that's true it's weird £120 will now be the limit.

Here is it translated:
On 1 December a new European Union regulation enters into force, with which the duty-free borders for European Union imported goods are raised clearly. The free border "for small transmissions with small value" rises from up-to-date 22 EUR to 150 EUR. Thus the import is facilitated by DVDs and Blu ray Discs from the USA or Australia.

Who would like to order films or computer games with foreign senders, it should note however that the import by indicated films or pornography in Germany is not permitted and a seizure threatens. The European Union commission justifies the decision for the lowering of the duty-free border with the fact that despite a dismantling by tariffs in the last years the free border was not no more raised since 1991.
Shingster wrote:Customs in this country hate the £18 limit, because it costs them more to process the sheer volume of products coming in that cost more than £18 than they actually make from the V.A.T.
Thanks for the explanation. I didn't know that.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

Its bullshit.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Any info/links Romero?
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

Thanks for that informed and explanatory response, Romero. :roll:
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

You haven't said that on Imports Forum Romero, why do yoiu think its BS? :roll:
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

Er have a google.

and I did not say Bullshit on that forum, as I would be banned haha
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Bullshit = Rubbish :D

Romero = To lazy to post his Google link.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

If it was true do you really think the entire EU would not know about it (just one german site!), including Royal Mail and all other delivery services and the UK govenment? look on their sites and check, not a word.

The chances its true are slimmer than an anorexic midgets cock, after its been shaved.

But then stranger things have happend, like Kill Bill S.E. being released, like the 10 times you lot have been sucked into thinking it was coming, but look still not here :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lourdes
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1994
Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 16:19

Post by Lourdes »

Did you not read the PDF I linked to? It's evidently happenng.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

Lourdes wrote:Did you not read the PDF I linked to? It's evidently happenng.
That does not state prices/figures does it? (I could not see any)

I read it by the way :D them things can be even harder to understand than my posts on a good day.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

romerojpg wrote:
Lourdes wrote:Did you not read the PDF I linked to? It's evidently happenng.
That does not state prices/figures does it? (I could not see any)

I read it by the way :D them things can be even harder to understand than my posts on a good day.
You have good days!?!? :D
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

Day, not days :D
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

romerojpg wrote:If it was true do you really think the entire EU would not know about it (just one german site!), including Royal Mail and all other delivery services and the UK govenment? look on their sites and check, not a word.
There's a slight difference between knowing about it, and publically announcing it.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1994
Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 16:19

Post by Lourdes »

romerojpg wrote:
Lourdes wrote:Did you not read the PDF I linked to? It's evidently happenng.
That does not state prices/figures does it? (I could not see any)

I read it by the way :D them things can be even harder to understand than my posts on a good day.
Look again, I referenced two specific sections...
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

ECU 22 Shall be Replaced by EUR 150

We can wish. Just like that damn Kill Bill set.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

romerojpg wrote:If it was true do you really think the entire EU would not know about it (just one german site!), including Royal Mail and all other delivery services and the UK govenment? look on their sites and check, not a word.
I'm sure they do. They just haven't announced it yet.

I'd think it was maybe suspect, if say it was on a Swedish website, but Germany is one of the biggest economic sectors in the EU.
romerojpg wrote:I read it by the way :D them things can be even harder to understand than my posts on a good day.
I'll second that :D
User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14

Post by Shingster »

bradavon wrote:I'd think it was maybe suspect, if say it was on a Swedish website.
You do realise Ken still reads these boards & he's a very patriotic Swedish assassin right?
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

gasteropod wrote:
romerojpg wrote:If it was true do you really think the entire EU would not know about it (just one german site!), including Royal Mail and all other delivery services and the UK govenment? look on their sites and check, not a word.
There's a slight difference between knowing about it, and publically announcing it.
Exactly!
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

saltysam wrote:the supposed raising of the threshold at the end of the year doesn't sound like it's gonna happen :|

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPort ... t#P46_5576
Bollocks :(.

It sounds like it is happening but for Customs Duty.

Any ideas how that differs?