Are 'The Pink Panther' movies any good? - and PP c

Non-Asian Film & Release Discussion, and Serious Film-Related Discussion
Post Reply
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Are 'The Pink Panther' movies any good? - and PP c

Post by grim_tales »

I found this on Play... will definitely pick this up at some point! :D Love The Pink Panther cartoons.

For the first time ever on DVD you can own the complete cartoon collection! The box set includes all 124 original theatrical Pink Panther cartoons from the 1960s and 1970s plus 37 minutes of unseen footage. Take a nostalgic trip back in time and remember the cartoons that made you laugh out loud!

Technical Details
Certificate Exempt from Classification
Year 2004
Screen Fullscreen 4:3
Languages English


Shame they didnt have the awesome "Inspector" or "Ant and Aardvark" shorts also - but that looks like a great set! :) :o

[color=Red][url=http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=ti ... &p=57&g=72]Clicky Here!!![/url][/color]

Strangely, even though Play say the despatch date is 1/11/04, CD-WOW say it is 29/11/04.. which is it?

I guess this must be a boxset to go with the set of the films -I wonder what the "extra footage" will be?

[Edited on 28-10-2004 by grim_tales]

[Edited on 29-10-2004 by grim_tales]
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Does no-one remember these cartoons? I'm disappointed :D:(

On the other hand the PP film boxset looks appealling also but is a lot more expensive - I've never seen any of them so are they worth checking out? Maybe I could rent em. :)
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Hmm... this doesnt look good. :(

According to one review at Amazon UK, all the cartoons are presented in the AR of 1.78/1 (!) and not 1.33/1 as originally shot, which causes a lack of picture info top and bottom. Stupid idiots! :mad::mad::mad:

I cant think why MGM would do that, almost every site lists the AR as 4/3, the extras are worthwile (all the opening sequences to the PP films, bar Return... as they couldnt get the distribution rights).
If MGM have arsed about with the ratio I might even leave this alone :( :mad:

[url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 72-9565427]Here is the review[/url]

[Edited on 9-11-2004 by grim_tales]
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Sent a letter of complaint to MGM about this... I'd love to have the toons on DVD, but I dont want to support their arsing about... what to do??? :wacko: :(
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

While on the whole the cartoons I've seen look very good print wise - We Give Pink Stamps (1965, on Disc 1) looks poor, with blue "spots" or cigarette burns (?) or something running down one side of the print. :roll:
Sorry I can't show you :(

They also must have been presented as they originally were theatrically (apart from the Widescreen) because "Shocking Pink" has canned laughter.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Doh I should of waited now... :evil:

Pink Panther Cartoon set on R1 :D

Look here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread ... ost6026482

If what that says is true (including the part about the OAR) I will upgrade, as theyre bound to be from the same prints as the R2 set (and have good extras).

May wait until its cheaper though - $70? Bloody hell....
I know it wont sell for that, thats just the RRP, but I got the R2 for under £15.
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

The movies are generally quite good. But I enjoyed them more when I was a kid. Each one has brilliant gags, but none are entirely successful as a cohesive whole. Sellers is excellent, as is the underrated Herbert Lom. If you like any of the films, you may as well get the Box Set (which is on sale I think) as they're pretty much along the same lines quality-wise. Makes sure if you buy Return (not available from MGM) you get the widescreen R1 from Artisan.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 18:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

:) Thanks Mark. I have a couple of the films on my rental list at CD-WOW so will check them out :)
Post Reply