Page 1 of 2

sell your crap on play.com for free in January !

Posted: 05 Jan 2008, 22:15
by saltysam

Posted: 05 Jan 2008, 22:16
by gasteropod
lol, what the hell do they gain from that? I imagine it's just to try and entice people into doing it as a regular thing.

Posted: 05 Jan 2008, 22:36
by bradavon
Yep. Most go straight to eBay. I do, it's where the masses go.

You can only sell UK DVDs too which knocks out a fair few of the DVDs I'm about to sell. You can also only sell to Europe, not worldwide. I'll stick with eBay.

Thanks though.

Posted: 05 Jan 2008, 23:05
by IronMonkey
I might try a few on Play as I need to get rid of a load to make room for HD discs. It seems like it would be better to sell them through Play as there are no fees, but my experince with PlayTrade before wasn't that great.

I listed around 15 DVDs with perfectly reasonable asking prices & none of them sold so they ended up going on E-Bay instead.

To be honest, I really don't like all these shops (like Play & Amazon) who are turning into E-Bay wannabes. When I go to Amazon its really annoying to find that I can't do free supersaver delivery becuase an item is "despatched & sold by bob123.com"! :evil:

Play just looks messy now with all the PlayTrade stuff all over every item. It would be nice if they could give us an option to "switch off" PlayTrade so that we don't need to see it if we don't want to...

Posted: 05 Jan 2008, 23:20
by bradavon
IronMonkey wrote:I might try a few on Play as I need to get rid of a load to make room for HD discs. It seems like it would be better to sell them through Play as there are no fees, but my experince with PlayTrade before wasn't that great.
I'd guess the number of people looking at eBay is much, much higher though.
IronMonkey wrote:Play just looks messy now with all the PlayTrade stuff all over every item. It would be nice if they could give us an option to "switch off" PlayTrade so that we don't need to see it if we don't want to...
It should be a separate section IMO.

Posted: 05 Jan 2008, 23:37
by saltysam
i listed around 15 items on playtrade and sold the lot. as it's free and a win win situation what's the harm in giving it a go ?

Posted: 21 Jan 2008, 13:17
by bradavon
Free? Yeah right :evil: -

" * The proceeds of your sale will be added to your PlayFunds account, minus a commission of 10% and a fixed closing fee of 50p.
* You can withdraw PlayFunds to your bank account, subject to a 5% transfer fee.
* As you have elected to receive your PlayFunds proceeds in Sterling (£), if a customer buys from you in Euros (€) we will convert this at the rate of €1 = £0.67 and add it to your PlayFunds account in your chosen currency."


I just tried to list something and it was going to take a commission from it. I guess this is okay if it's taken IF I sell it but not if it takes it before I've sold anything (like eBay).

I'm only planning to make a couple of quid for the 3 DVDs I'm listing but at a 15% fee plus 50p by the time I've withdrawn it to my bank account there's not much point. Not even eBay charge that much!

PayPal take 3% and roughly the same from eBay. That's it! There is no fee to withdraw to my bank (if it's higher than £50).

For example if I sell a DVD for £2.20 where I expect to get £1.50 after postage I actually get:

Sale price - £2.20
Minus 10% Play Trade fee - £1.98
Mins 50p Play Trade fee - £1.48
Minus 5% to withdraw to the bank - £1.41
Minus 2nd Class postage fee - 81p

So from an initial £2.20 price I only see 81p maximum! Gee Thanks. I'd see more of that on eBay. I'm only trying PayPal as the titles didn't sell at eBay and I want to get rid of them for Free!

Posted: 21 Jan 2008, 13:39
by Yi-Long
Hmmm... I never sell my stuff. If I dont want something anymore, I usually just give it away to a friend or whatever. DVD's that I dont want anymore, I dump on my father in law.
Why sell stuff and go through all that trouble, just for a couple of bucks?

Posted: 21 Jan 2008, 13:45
by gasteropod
Yeah, I signed up to the PlayTrade thing last week and when I realised all that shit, I didn't list anything lol. I've just sold a few things on Amazon like I usually do instead.

Posted: 21 Jan 2008, 13:57
by bradavon
It's bollocks. Free but it still costs you :twisted:

I've e-mailed Play asking what they mean by their so called Free Commission.
Yi-Long wrote:Why sell stuff and go through all that trouble, just for a couple of bucks?
I sold 70 odd DVDs and made roughly £200. Is that a good enough reason? ;)

On there own they're only worth £2-3 but together it's mega bucks. I have 15 that didn't sell. I'll give those away if I cannot get rid for free. Last time I sold 70 odd and gave 8 away.

Out of 101 items (30 odd weren't DVDs) only 16 I've not shifted, 8 I sold on Forums. Most things I sold for £3-4. I sold the odd LE for £10-15 and an MP3 Player for £50. I now have £350 in my PayPal account (actually £400 but I owe eBay £50).

Besides it's no hassle selling on eBay, easy in fact. I copy/paste the same basic blurb for the cheap DVDs.

Posted: 21 Jan 2008, 14:17
by bradavon
Woh bloody hell Amazon are even more expensive:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/custome ... Id=3149301
Individuals selling at Marketplace pay a GBP 0.86 per item completion fee, plus a closing fee of 17.25% of the sales price (11.5% for Electronics & Photo items) for each item sold.

Plus 16p Postage admin fee (for DVDs in the UK).
So:

Sale price - £2.20
Minus 17.25% fee - £1.82
Minus 86p fee - 96p
Minus 16p postage admin fee - 80p
Minus 2nd Class postage fee - 20p

So out of a £2.20 sale I only see 20p - WTF! :D

I cannot ask much more than £2.20 for the 3 DVDs I'm selling as people simply won't buy them. The only upside being unlike Play or eBay it doesn't cost you a penny unless it sells.

Posted: 21 Jan 2008, 14:28
by Yi-Long
bradavon wrote:
Yi-Long wrote:Why sell stuff and go through all that trouble, just for a couple of bucks?
I sold 70 odd DVDs and made roughly £200. Is that a good enough reason? ;)

On there own they're only worth £2-3 but together it's mega bucks. I have 15 that didn't sell. I'll give those away if I cannot get rid for free. Last time I sold 70 odd and gave 8 away.

Out of 101 items (30 odd weren't DVDs) only 16 I've not shifted, 8 I sold on Forums. Most things I sold for £3-4. I sold the odd LE for £10-15 and an MP3 Player for £50. I now have £350 in my PayPal account (actually £400 but I owe eBay £50).

Besides it's no hassle selling on eBay, easy in fact. I copy/paste the same basic blurb for the cheap DVDs.
Hmmm... I guess I just dont buy many DVD's that turn out to be shite ;) Or maybe I am just someone who doesnt part easily with his movies...

Posted: 21 Jan 2008, 14:39
by bradavon
Neither do I but I don't either have a garage to store them in :D

Posted: 21 Jan 2008, 19:14
by saltysam
1. The first 10 items that a customer buys from you during January will have their fees refunded.
2. If you already have products for sale through PlayTrade, you don't need to re-list them. Both new and old listings are covered by the promotion.
3. To qualify for the refund of fees, any orders should be dispatched to the customer within 2 days.
4. The 10% commission fee and the 50p closing fee will be refunded once you confirm dispatch. The refund may take up to 24 hours to appear in your PlayFunds account.
5. You can use 100% of the money you make from selling these items on PlayTrade. Eg, if you sell a DVD for £10 you can use the full £10 to buy the DVD you really wanted.
6. If you wish to withdraw your funds instead of spending them on site, this will be subject to a 5% transfer fee.
7. If you are lucky enough to sell more than 10 items, our normal fees will apply from the 11th onwards. Please see our fees page for more details.

Posted: 21 Jan 2008, 23:08
by bradavon
Thanks. So you only lose 5%.

To confirm if you don't sell anything it won't cost you a thing?

It sounds like you get charged which takes the money out of your bank account but the refund goes back into your Play account, which you then need to pay 5% to put it back in your bank account.

That's not exactly "Commission Free outright" if it's only the first 10.

p.s - Where did you source this? I didn't see it anywhere.

Posted: 22 Jan 2008, 17:14
by saltysam
bradavon wrote:
p.s - Where did you source this? I didn't see it anywhere.
click where it says "terms and conditions apply"

http://www.play.com/landingpage.aspx?pa ... pr=0&dpr=0

Posted: 23 Jan 2008, 00:50
by gasteropod
How much does it cost to list things on eBay? I haven't used it in ages and I can't find this information on the site.

Cheers.

Posted: 23 Jan 2008, 15:10
by bradavon
5p to list it then another 15p to add Buy-It-Now (which I'd recommend), then another 15p to add a picture of the item in listings.

eBay then take about 3% of the final price and PayPal another 3% if they pay through PayPal.

Thanks Salty: As to Play, to confirm if you don't sell anything it won't cost you a thing right?

Posted: 23 Jan 2008, 15:12
by gasteropod
Oh you're kidding me, I just had to pay Amazon £6.59 because I sold three DVDs on there, what a rip off.

Posted: 23 Jan 2008, 15:48
by gasteropod
Why did you just repeat yourself lol :D

Posted: 23 Jan 2008, 15:55
by bradavon
Because the question hasn't been answered. Play's help pages are so utterly confusing and I only want to list them if it doesn't cost me anything unless I sell them. I've already spent enough trying to shift them.

Posted: 23 Jan 2008, 16:28
by gasteropod
I meant the eBay information that I requested ;)

Posted: 23 Jan 2008, 17:05
by bradavon
Oh yes oops. Corrected.
gasteropod wrote:Oh you're kidding me, I just had to pay Amazon £6.59 because I sold three DVDs on there, what a rip off.
Yeah Amazon are bloody expensive. How much did you make out of the DVDs?

WOW those prices are just crazy.

I "think" eBay may charge a wee bit more if you're asking a higher initial price but it's no more than 30p tops. Obviously the difference with eBay is you start off with a low price and hope it goes up.

Posted: 23 Jan 2008, 17:32
by saltysam
i think ebay are a bit naughty though- a charge for listing, then a final value fee and then a paypal cut. as for play as i read it you don't pay anything.it's clearly a promotion designed to get people using playtrade. i sold a fair bit there last year but haven't done so lately.

Posted: 23 Jan 2008, 17:51
by bradavon
saltysam wrote:i think ebay are a bit naughty though- a charge for listing, then a final value fee and then a paypal cut.
I totally agree but compared to others it's at least cheaper. That and it is the best place to get rid of stuff. You can usually make a decent profit.

It does annoy me both eBay AND PayPal take a cut of the final price.
saltysam wrote:as for play as i read it you don't pay anything.it's clearly a promotion designed to get people using playtrade.
Thanks. I may as well give it a try then.