Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
captainjoe
King of Beggars

Die Hard with a Vengeance: SE DVD vs. Blu-ray *LARGE PICS*

Post by captainjoe »

Die Hard with a Vengeance

Top: R1 SE DVD
Bottom: North American Blu-ray

These BD screen captures were taken by a member on the AVSforum who goes by the name of "House". I matched them with the DVD release. The pictures speak for themselves.
The DVD has an infamous reputation for being one of the worst DVD transfers to ever come out of a major studio. Thankfully Fox has seen fit to correct this
mess of a video transfer that was plagued by noise reduction and severe edge enhancement with a wonderful 1080P transfer on Blu-ray. Colours
are much more vibrant and not faded like the DVD. This looks more film-like. Definately worth the upgrade!

Mouse-Overs:

http://horn.hdtvtotal.com/hdtvtotal/scr ... opykm8.jpg
http://horn.hdtvtotal.com/hdtvtotal/scr ... opysr1.jpg
http://horn.hdtvtotal.com/hdtvtotal/scr ... opyau9.jpg
http://horn.hdtvtotal.com/hdtvtotal/scr ... opysm1.jpg
http://horn.hdtvtotal.com/hdtvtotal/scr ... opydp4.jpg

Last edited by captainjoe on 11 Dec 2007, 00:04, edited 2 times in total.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Thanks CJ.

Any chance of Die Hard captures? That's the only keeper IMO.
captainjoe
King of Beggars

Post by captainjoe »

I have BD captures saved and I'm trying to get some captures but for some reason my WinDVD player is screwed up and is capturing distorted pictures. :?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Thanks.

Have you tried Lourde' method? Mentioned under "Easy Alternative method" -

https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... php?t=2428
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

The Street shot really shows the difference, so much more detail and no shit white lines around the edges plaguing that standard version :) very nice, grain and all.

Hope the standard dvd burns in hell :evil:
captainjoe
King of Beggars

Post by captainjoe »

My program's working now. Had to restart the computer. That was odd. I'll have the Die Hard caps up in a minute. Robocop might be on the way too. :)
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Saving the street scene and flicking between the two of them full screen on my 40 incher really shows the difference. You have to sit a long away away to view the standard dvd caps as frankly they are awful, the HD ones you can get one foot away from the screen and its just right.

Just wish I had a bigger screen :D

Good to see the hideous horizontal line at the top and bottom of frame on the standard dvds is not on the HD version. That really irratates me.

I need people like you to go on another forum and say the standard transfer is crappy, as they just say its amazing :roll: I have proivded proof and they still say I am wrong :roll: some people are just blind and should not comment on any dvds at all.
captainjoe
King of Beggars

Post by captainjoe »

Well all the forums I've posted on about that title agree with me in saying it's shit. Those people you talked to are probably worship THX and can't comprehend they do make bad transfers. What forum was that again? I remember you mentioning it before.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Ahh some peeps over at TheImportForums, in the end all they said back to me was a list of Great reviews from when the dvds first came out.

I guess if some reviewers say its great, then it has to be :D

I have reviewed many dvds for a few places over the years, some acctually say to me cut down on the picture information, even stuff people need to know. Each to their own I guess, I personally like as much info as they can give me, even if I dont know what they are on about I can always find out.

Picture comparisons with HD and Standard dvds latley have been what I like to see, if the right guys have done the HD caps it really does blow me away seeing them together.

Shame all HD Vs Standard comparisons are not as significant as these Die Hard 3 caps :D
captainjoe
King of Beggars

Post by captainjoe »

True, sometimes the differences are subtle because they are using the same transfer but the difference here is quite drastic.
dvdvision
Pedicab Driver

Post by dvdvision »

Thank you, thank you. I'm selling the old box set right now and getting those new transferts, big time !

Do you know if they are region coded ?
captainjoe
King of Beggars

Post by captainjoe »

I heard they're encoded for Region A but I could be wrong. I still am not sure how these BD work with regions.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Woah, the BD whups the DVD's ass! I was never happy with the DVD's transfer either, it was indeed shitty. I'll definitely be picking these up sometime.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

dvdvision wrote:Do you know if they are region coded ?
They're Fox discs so are very likely to be Region A.

It doesn't matter too much when Fox are releasing Die Hard and Die Hard 2 on UK Region B anyway but it does matter for Die Hard 3 which is a Buena Vista title in the UK (plus it's cut)
and they're not releasing it yet.
captainjoe wrote:I heard they're encoded for Region A but I could be wrong. I still am not sure how these BD work with regions.
There are 3 Blu-ray regions unlike DVDs 6 regions.

In reality only Fox, Lionsgate and New Line in America actually use Regional Coding for all titles. Some Sony BDs are region coded for example
but as a rule of thumb they're not. Paramount and Warner on Blu-ray have never used Regional Coding.

Region A gives you North America plus most of the Far East. Region B gives you Europe plus Australasia and Region C is places like India.

Here is an exact list:

A - North America, Central America, South America, Japan, Taiwan, North Korea, South Korea, Hong Kong and Southeast Asia.
B - Europe, Greenland, French territories, Middle East, Africa, Australia and New Zealand.
C - India, Bangladesh, Nepal, Mainland China, Pakistan, Russia, Central and South Asia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc

As Region A gives you America, Canada, Hong Kong, Japan, South Korea and Thailand it's arguably the most important of the regions.
The only important DVD/HD Disc countries it misses out on are The UK, France and Australia.

You can't have everything. There is nothing or merit in Region C.
captainjoe
King of Beggars

Post by captainjoe »

Thanks for that lesson, Brad :)
captainjoe
King of Beggars

Post by captainjoe »

Mouse-over added
chenlung
King of Beggars

Post by chenlung »

Got the R1 2-discer a while back and the image seems processed. You can see the splices too.

Image looks a tad pinkified on the HD one ;)! Not a bad image, but detail isn't the greatest (thanks to the grain).

Note: Those captures aren't the same frame.
Scott
captainjoe
King of Beggars

Post by captainjoe »

chenlung wrote:Got the R1 2-discer a while back and the image seems processed. You can see the splices too.

Image looks a tad pinkified on the HD one ;)! Not a bad image, but detail isn't the greatest (thanks to the grain).

Note: Those captures aren't the same frame.
I already know about them being off and have been planning on re-doing them along with a few other comparisons.