GitS: SAC 2nd GIG - R1 vs. R2J vs. R2UK vs. R4

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

GitS: SAC 2nd GIG - R1 vs. R2J vs. R2UK vs. R4

Post by Lourdes »

The R1 & R2J are mostly progressive (it varies a lot....)
The R2UK is progressive aside from volumes 3, 6 and the last two episodes of volume 5 which are interlaced.
Same deal with the R4 it seems.

Thanks to Eva for the R4 caps.

R1 First, R2J Second, R2UK Third. R4 Last

Last edited by Lourdes on 10 May 2008, 21:10, edited 3 times in total.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

The R2J is a little better than the R1 with less signs of compression on the whole. The R2UK is so much sharper and more detailed than the others but that banding is very offputting. I am very interested in seeing the R4's. Point of note by the way, Production IG were involved with non-Manga DVD releases of the first series and most releases of the second. So I expect some cockups and inconsistencies can be blamed on them.
But the R2UK has dubtitles, blame Manga for this shit they love doing that. Although there's not really a whole lot of difference to be honest.
The R1's DTS track is good, as with the first series I think the mix on the R2J is better but the DTS is just more dynamic.

Again, all things GitS will end up on BD so you shouldn't quibble too much. 2nd GIG has aired in HD (if anyone likes I can do a mini-comparison with HD versions) and Bandai even announced it for BD at CES in 2006. Though that was long before they actually released anything and they switched alliegances a couple of times thereafter. But it will get there eventually, next year I'm hoping since they've just milked it on DVD in Japan again.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

Just confirmed that the R2J BOX has the same transfer as the singles.

I NEED SAC in HD, first series at least. Don't care too much for 2nd GIG, it's all over the place.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp

Post by Lourdes »

Added R4 caps. Little brighter than the R2UK and lacks the banding but looks like it has the same problem with interlaced episodes. Subs are dubtitles I think - Eva might need to check a little more. The line he gave me in a sample matched the dub exactly whereas the R2UK dubtitles were a bit different...
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

The R4 doesn't appear to have subtitles to me. When they speak over their cybercomms no lip flaps have to be synced with, so there's no reason for the dub not to use the proper sub script.

RE: the R2UK DVD of GITS2: Innocence, there's no way in hell that those are dubtitles.
ericf
Jackie Chan's BIG toe

Post by ericf »

Does that mean that you think that the R4 DVDs use dubtitles?
Have you, in any way, confirmed this? One or two instances isn't enough material to be sure.
ericf