Reliable cooled 360s out now & HDMI added to Premium SKU

Consoles, Computers, iPads, and More
HD Discussion Elsewhere
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Reliable cooled 360s out now & HDMI added to Premium SKU

Post by EvaUnit02 »

HDMI ports have been added to the Premium SKUs.
The 65nm chips are in all 360's manufactured July onwards. just look at the tab on the box and there is apparently a manufacture date. Make sure it is July onwards.

The 65nm chips are not the thing you should worry about - it is having a 360 which has the new GPU heatsink and cooling pipe.


The Elites being sent to NZ have the new heatsinks but do not necessarily contain the 65nm chips. (Unless you get one with a manufacture date July onwards - you can check this by lifting the tab on the box).

The Benq drives are becoming more common now, so shouldn't be too hard to find them. Reports suggest the other drives seem to be quieter now too.

In the US, it appears quite a few people are being sent brand new replacement consoles which are manufactured in July (ie. 65nm and new heatsink), to replace their failed console. This is good as people should be getting reliable replacements.

If you must have a 65nm version, buy the Halo Edition 360.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

When is the Halo 3 edition coming out?
My old Xbox died, and the Halo 360 looks pretty cool (like the combat green colors, although I have to see it in person to see if it might be to 'plasticcy')

Or I might wait for an elite, or wait for another pricedrop on the PS3. Not sure yet. I still have a few months to decide as that's when Pro Evo will be coming out...
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
User avatar
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1950
Joined: 08 Dec 2004, 16:49

Post by IronMonkey »

I still have a while to decide too, before Ninja Gaiden 2 comes out... But I'll go for the Elite, as I think it looks best in black.
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Yi-Long wrote:When is the Halo 3 edition coming out?
Sept 25th, at least over here.
or wait for another pricedrop on the PS3.
There has been no PERMANENT price drop on PS3 as of yet. The reason for the $100 price drop:- The American 60GB model is being phased out in favour for the 80GB one and they wanted to get rid of the stock. If you want a PS3 I suggest that you get one now as the US 60GB model will the last PS3 with genuine backwards compatibility of PS2/PS1 titles (cuz it has the slimline PS2's Emotion Engine/GPU hybrid chip). The 80GB model relies on emulation like all European consoles have since Day One.

I'll be getting the Halo 3 SKU or an Elite, depending mainly on the price probably. There will be cheap HD films offered on Live Marketplace to download from at least Disney. That would be reason enough to get an Elite for the 120GB HDD.

There's a really good chance that European Elites will be the improved cooling versions, their several months long delay in release outside of North America must've been for a reason.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Apparently the Premium units with added HDMI port and 65nm chipset will have a sticker on the box indicating so.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

I seriously doubt Sony would be so stupid as to now raise the price back up again for the PS3, or come with a worse deal than the one now in the stores. The PS3 STILL isnt selling all that great, and if it wants to compete with 360, which will probably see a boost in sales over the coming months because of all the AAA titles coming out, Sony will have to do something...

They say it's a temporary deal so they wont have to compensate the people who bought the PS3 at the launch... but they wont go back to asking a higher price. I think they need to go even more down in price, to survive.

Those Disney films which you'll be able to download... they will just be temporary 'rentals' though, wont they? Not interesting for me personally.

For me, both consoles have their good and bad points still. I will wait as long as I can before I decide what to get.
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Yi-Long wrote:I seriously doubt Sony would be so stupid as to now raise the price back up again for the PS3, or come with a worse deal than the one now in the stores.
Valid point, but the price drop was only for the 60GB model, which is being phased out. The 80GB model which is superceding it maybe $600 but it has a larger HDD and is bundled with a copy of Motorstorm.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

I know, but most people will just look at the prices, and see the PS3 back up again for a more expensive price, but with only a 20GB extra and a mediocre racing game hardly anyone is really interested in buying for full price anyway.


They'd be stupid if they keep putting off the price-drop.
They should come witha great bundle, like PS3, 80 gb, Pro Evo and another must have title, 2 joypads, 1 or 2 blu-ray movies (Casiono Royale) and sell that for 500 bucks or something. That would be hard to pass up.

They really need to now get a big market in, cause as soon as everyone decides to get a 360 instead of a PS3 for the coming winter, this could be the beginning of the end for Sony, with developers going to go non-exclusive. Why spend many millions of bucks on developing and marketing MGS4, if there are only 5-10 million PS3 owners worldwide? They'd count they're eggs, dedice they want more baskets, etc...

For me, I have no specific preference to either brand-name. I loved my old xbox, and wasnt interested in a PS2, but when you look at the shelflife of both consoles, I'd give the upper hand to Sony when it comes to loyalty...
On the other hand, I'd like to be able to still play my old xbox games, and I prefer the 360 joypad...
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Yi-Long wrote:Pro Evo and another must have title
Bad example. Barely anyone in America gives a shit about soccer and a multiplatform title that ain't optimised for the system would never be bundled with any console by the manufacturer. Only a first or second party exclusive would be considered as a pack-in game by any manufacturer.
this could be the beginning of the end for Sony, with developers going to go non-exclusive. Why spend many millions of bucks on developing and marketing MGS4, if there are only 5-10 million PS3 owners worldwide? They'd count they're eggs, dedice they want more baskets, etc...
Beginning of the end for Sony? Oh please. Last generation taught us that market can sustain more than one console. PS3 ain't gonna die a premature death like the Dreamcast, it will have a full lifecycle; especially so in the PAL regions. The battle for 2nd place in the current generation war has hardly even started. None of the class A exclusives have arrived yet, MGS4 will the first big system mover. Followed by the likes of Gran Turismo 5, the Shitty Fantasy 13, Kingdom Hearts 3, God of War 3 etc.

TBH I don't care as I'll be getting both console, as if I'll miss out on MGS4, Haze and BRD playback.