Now that Quad Cores are affordable

Consoles, Computers, iPads, and More
HD Discussion Elsewhere
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Now that Quad Cores are affordable

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Since the July 22nd price drop, the Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz is now affordable. But I still don't think it's worth bother to upgrade from my C2D E6400.

The Q6600 when OC'ed I've read runs at 80C under load. WTF? That is hot. I think that this is with stock cooling though. Maybe it because it is just two dual cores taped together (on same dye?) rather than a true processor with four cores.

No games use Quad core properly yet either aside from Supreme Commander (but I don't give a shit bout RTS), but still that deems hardly any difference. Remedy's upcoming Alan Wake will reportedly do some interesting things with QC, like assign different processing tasks (eg psychics) to certain cores.
Toge
Flirting Scholar
Posts: 468
Joined: 23 Oct 2004, 11:03

Post by Toge »

Screw the Q6600, I'd rather buy the E6750!
I might only drop in and out but I'm still your admin... spiritually :P
Image
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Both can be easily OC'ed to 3GHz+ and the Q6600 is the same price as an E6850. If I was buying a PC now, I'd easily get a Q6600.