Do you actively use any IM standard aside from MSN?
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
Do you actively use any IM standard aside from MSN?
Do you actively use any other IM standard aside from MSN (aka WLM)? Ie ICQ, Yahoo, AIM.
ICQ is overly complicated for it's own good, and hardly anyone still uses it.
AIM is pretty popular still I'd imagine, no one that I know uses it these days.
Yahoo? I don't think was ever as popular as the aforementioned standards.
I used to use Trillian but gave up on it since most of the people that I know switched to MSN.
ICQ is overly complicated for it's own good, and hardly anyone still uses it.
AIM is pretty popular still I'd imagine, no one that I know uses it these days.
Yahoo? I don't think was ever as popular as the aforementioned standards.
I used to use Trillian but gave up on it since most of the people that I know switched to MSN.
-
Kurgan
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1740
- Joined: 10 Nov 2004, 11:29
- Location: Dewsbury, UK
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
IM Clients are entirely reliant on other people also using them, as 99.9% of people I talk to all use MSN I see no point installing anything else.
My uncle keeps saying I should get Yahoo I don't see the point, especially now Yahoo and MSN can talk to each other anyway. He uses Yahoo at his end, MSN at mine, sorted.
He also says I should get Skype but frankly again why? The same rule applies. I can easily believe it's better but with only one contact it won't be used much. I hear it's THE product for voice communication, as I don't do that it doesn't interest me.
For me it comes down to a large extent what the standard is? Microsoft Office love it or loathe it it's the standard. Adobe software, pretty much all their software is the standard. Nero Burning ROM, again the standard. There are exceptions (such as the web browser) though. Oh and Itunes too. I tried that, it wasn't for me. In most cases a product is the most popular for a reason.
Skype aside which I hear has lots more features I'd be surprised if Yahoo is much better than MSN anyway, unlike say your web browser where Firefox is much better.
I'm surprised anyone still uses AIM. AFAIK it's all Skype, MSN or Yahoo (more popular than you'd imagine, if you're a MS hater). Isn't ICQ a chat client, not IM client? The last time I used it it was distinctively different.
My uncle keeps saying I should get Yahoo I don't see the point, especially now Yahoo and MSN can talk to each other anyway. He uses Yahoo at his end, MSN at mine, sorted.
He also says I should get Skype but frankly again why? The same rule applies. I can easily believe it's better but with only one contact it won't be used much. I hear it's THE product for voice communication, as I don't do that it doesn't interest me.
For me it comes down to a large extent what the standard is? Microsoft Office love it or loathe it it's the standard. Adobe software, pretty much all their software is the standard. Nero Burning ROM, again the standard. There are exceptions (such as the web browser) though. Oh and Itunes too. I tried that, it wasn't for me. In most cases a product is the most popular for a reason.
Skype aside which I hear has lots more features I'd be surprised if Yahoo is much better than MSN anyway, unlike say your web browser where Firefox is much better.
I'm surprised anyone still uses AIM. AFAIK it's all Skype, MSN or Yahoo (more popular than you'd imagine, if you're a MS hater). Isn't ICQ a chat client, not IM client? The last time I used it it was distinctively different.
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
-
gojensen
- King of Beggars
- Posts: 603
- Joined: 01 Nov 2004, 10:44
- Location: Norway
Odd way to phrase it...
I don't use MSN actively at all! I use it just as an aside to ICQ... and Jabber, which you haven't mentioned at ALL, and SIMPLE (which is SIP's IM implementation...) is my primary IM for work related stuff.
And I never will use proprietary hack Skype. Never. Ever... Ever!
I don't use MSN actively at all! I use it just as an aside to ICQ... and Jabber, which you haven't mentioned at ALL, and SIMPLE (which is SIP's IM implementation...) is my primary IM for work related stuff.
And I never will use proprietary hack Skype. Never. Ever... Ever!
So long, and thanks for all the fish!
-
thelostdragon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 7059
- Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
- Location: Basin City
-
Yi-Long
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8616
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
- Location: Alkmaar, Holland
I used to use ICQ, but that went dead a long time ago. I still have it on my pc, but hardly anyone is ever online.
I now use MSN, although tbh I'm invisible 99% of the time. I just use it to chat with some people, or quickly ask someone a question ...
I certainly don't have a huge list of MSN-friends or something. And many I have blocked (like old classmates and all that).
I now use MSN, although tbh I'm invisible 99% of the time. I just use it to chat with some people, or quickly ask someone a question ...
I certainly don't have a huge list of MSN-friends or something. And many I have blocked (like old classmates and all that).
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
-
Lourdes
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1994
- Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 16:19
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
I've never heard of Jabber, probably why it wasn't mentioned 
@ LD: You run XP right? As that comes with Windows Messenger 4.0, not go to be confused with Windows Live Messenger which is entirely different. Have you tried that?
Why cannot you not install Windows Live Messenger 8.1? Or at the very least MSN Messenger 7.5. You could try uninstalling it via Add/Remove if it's still there and then deleting the MSN Messenger folder. Have you also tried typing the error message exactly into Google and put it inside speech marks? I usually find that very useful.
I do here Skypes VOIP capabilities are THE best. I've no need for VOIP so haven't tried.
@ LD: You run XP right? As that comes with Windows Messenger 4.0, not go to be confused with Windows Live Messenger which is entirely different. Have you tried that?
Why cannot you not install Windows Live Messenger 8.1? Or at the very least MSN Messenger 7.5. You could try uninstalling it via Add/Remove if it's still there and then deleting the MSN Messenger folder. Have you also tried typing the error message exactly into Google and put it inside speech marks? I usually find that very useful.
I'm pretty sure they all use proprietary networks. It's just in WLM8 MS and Yahoo agreed to share their networks.gojensen wrote:And I never will use proprietary hack Skype. Never. Ever... Ever!
I do here Skypes VOIP capabilities are THE best. I've no need for VOIP so haven't tried.
-
gojensen
- King of Beggars
- Posts: 603
- Joined: 01 Nov 2004, 10:44
- Location: Norway
Wrong; Jabber uses the XMPP open standard (I think even Google talk use this). And SIP implementations using SIMPLE is also based on open standards which for most uses is compatible with XMPP via simple infrastructure bridges. Jabber is probably more used in workplaces where they want to build their own IM service. At my company we used Jabber, and whenever someone new joins the company their IM information is automatically pushed to every employee. No need manually add contacts... and while jabber is implemented in local "pools" of networks, you can always just send messages to the other networks with no problem. I.e. you manage you own infrastructure and still be able to communicate with the rest of the world. In a few words, you have full control, unlike skype or msn.
Skype may be the best at voice out of MSN and it's ilk, but that's simply because the others suck. SIP gives me telephony quality (actually better...)... why? Because it's an internet "implementation of the plain old telephony system (POTS)".
Skype use ISAC and iLBC for p2p calls at around 16kbps. Which is basically sucky. ISDN telephony used g711 at 56-64kbps. SIP uses the same... (or any other codec you want to implement...)
With SIP I can decide which ports are used for what. SKYPE just manhandles it's way through my network, and for MSN voice chat to work I had to open up all UDP traffic from port 5004 and up! That's like 60000 potential security holes in my network. (Besides I find the GUI of MSN real crappy... it took me several minutes to set up a mic, and several more to actually start a voice conversation...)
With SKYPE my network would become a master node (or whatever they call it). I'm not interested in shuffling traffic for other skype users. And last I checked I had no way of controlling this. There are reasons skype have been banned from several educational networks around the globe.
Skype may be the best at voice out of MSN and it's ilk, but that's simply because the others suck. SIP gives me telephony quality (actually better...)... why? Because it's an internet "implementation of the plain old telephony system (POTS)".
Skype use ISAC and iLBC for p2p calls at around 16kbps. Which is basically sucky. ISDN telephony used g711 at 56-64kbps. SIP uses the same... (or any other codec you want to implement...)
With SIP I can decide which ports are used for what. SKYPE just manhandles it's way through my network, and for MSN voice chat to work I had to open up all UDP traffic from port 5004 and up! That's like 60000 potential security holes in my network. (Besides I find the GUI of MSN real crappy... it took me several minutes to set up a mic, and several more to actually start a voice conversation...)
With SKYPE my network would become a master node (or whatever they call it). I'm not interested in shuffling traffic for other skype users. And last I checked I had no way of controlling this. There are reasons skype have been banned from several educational networks around the globe.
So long, and thanks for all the fish!
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
Just do a clean installation of Windows. You'd be surprised at the amount of a pooter's faggotry is solved by a clean installation.thelostdragon wrote:Ever since I wanted to upgrade to the new version of MSN, it won't work on my computer anymore, nor will it re-install the old version. The only thing I can do is use the cheap online version, which is pretty lame.
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
If we're going down that route we'd need to include Microsoft Office Communicator then.Jabber is probably more used in workplaces where they want to build their own IM service.
Well to be fair you are trying to get WLM to do something it was never desisnged to do. MSN Messenger was never designed for a work environment, it's a home tool. Hence MOC was created.In a few words, you have full control, unlike skype or msn.
If Jabber is really a work IM tool it really cannot be compared with WLM, it needs to be compared against MOC.
Suck it may do but I'd guess it's all home users need. I'd presume so as it's very popular. Home users would never need the technology you're talking about. The WLM VOIP capabilities maybe limited I wouldn't know I prefer good old fashioned telephone. I make so few voice calls I really don't care about costs, and even then if you look around you can get some very cheap to free packages anyway.Skype use ISAC and iLBC for p2p calls at around 16kbps. Which is basically sucky. ISDN telephony used g711 at 56-64kbps. SIP uses the same... (or any other codec you want to implement...).
Sure maybe if I had the need to call internationally but I don't. What's the telephone Kbps? I bet it's low.
Otherwise thanks though for an informative post, not being sarcastic.
-
gojensen
- King of Beggars
- Posts: 603
- Joined: 01 Nov 2004, 10:44
- Location: Norway
Re: Do you actively use any IM standard aside from MSN?
That doesn't make sense, since Trillian is a multi-IM-protocol application and not a new IM system, and specifically since it does communicate just fine with MSN... :-/EvaUnit02 wrote:I used to use Trillian but gave up on it since most of the people that I know switched to MSN.
So long, and thanks for all the fish!
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
Re: Do you actively use any IM standard aside from MSN?
It makes perfect sense. What's the point of signing into four IM services at once if there's no one to chat to on three of them? Plus there's standardised features of the MSN client which weren't available in Trillian at the time I used it.gojensen wrote:That doesn't make sense, since Trillian is a multi-IM-protocol application and not a new IM system, and specifically since it does communicate just fine with MSN... :-/EvaUnit02 wrote:I used to use Trillian but gave up on it since most of the people that I know switched to MSN.
-
gojensen
- King of Beggars
- Posts: 603
- Joined: 01 Nov 2004, 10:44
- Location: Norway
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

