Online bookstore price compare: WHERE???

Sell Your Stuff, and What's on Sale
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Online bookstore price compare: WHERE???

Post by Yi-Long »

I have a question.

A few weeks ago I had found a site where I could compare prices for the books I wnated to order, in order to know which online bookstore would be the cheapest.

The site allowed me to change the currency in euro, to enter my delivery-destination (in my case Holland), and it would include the shipping price.

Now I've been searching for over an hour to find that site back, but no luck :(

Does anyone of you know which book compare site I'm talking about, or can anyone help me out here!?
Which price-compare sites do you guys usually use?

Anyway, I hope you guys can help me out, cause it's driving me crazy.

Ow, and Amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk all ask wayyyyyyy too much for shipping. Bastard site :(
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
Lourdes
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1994
Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 16:19

Post by Lourdes »

bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

I find Kelkoo the best (it's a general search engine for anything you can buy but I really only use it for books). Unlike CDs and DVDs there aren't many but I've use:

www.play.com - Usually the cheapest.
www.amazon.co.uk
www.amazon.com
www.ebay.co.uk - If it's in good nick I don't care if it's second hand, assuming it's a current edition of course
www.whsmith.co.uk
www.waterstones.co.uk

Almost always the first two though, unlike DVDs I'm only really interested in buying UK books (it's not like I buy many). It's free postage over £15. I doubt that's international though I'm afraid.

It helps if you know the ISBN.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

Thanks Brad. Didnt get the PM untill after I posted my new 'where the hell is my thread gone' thread :D Plz delete that :)

The link Lourdes provided was indeed the link I was looking for. SO thanks very much, man!!! :) (added it to my favourites/bookmarks immediately, ofcourse)

Having used the link, it indeed seems amazon.com is the cheapest option. So I'll try ordering it tonight (I really dislike amazon's interface, making it hard/difficult to buy stuff)

Thanks for the links, Brad, I had already checked out play.com but it was 'temporarily' out of stock there, and I believe the book is out of print so I doubt they'll get it back in stock...

I dont want 2nd hand books, cause I dont wanna run the risk of getting a damaged book. it's a graphic novel, so I like those to be in good shape.

Thanks guys :)
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

No worries.

Agreed all Amazon sites are too complicated, it's way too hard to find simple contact details and put simply the site is way too bloated. Obviously it's sill worth using though.

Try Kelkoo too just to be sure.
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

Post by thelostdragon »

In Germany we have consistent book prices, so no matter where you go to buy them, they'll cost the same.
Image
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Interesting. I'm glad we don't have that here. Healthy competition is a good thing.

Why just books?
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Advanced Book Exchange - Looks to be an excellent resource for getting 2nd hand books. Operates like Amazon Marketplace and Half.com by the looks of it.
Strand Bookstore
The store is famous amongst New Yorkers for its giant collection of publisher's overstock, used, rare, and out-of-print books, as well as the chaos on and around its shelves. The store houses the city's largest collection of rare books, and is also a contender for the title of world's largest used bookstore (its major competitor in this regard being Powell's Books of Portland, Oregon). "18 Miles of Books" is its (present) slogan. (source)
Lourdes
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1994
Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 16:19

Post by Lourdes »

Brad with another retarded topic move.
mdreamUK
Jackie Chan's BIG toe
Posts: 31
Joined: 03 Nov 2006, 19:09

Post by mdreamUK »

There is also List Books:

http://www.listbooks.co.uk