All-in-one Security Suites - McAfee, Norton or Another?

Consoles, Computers, iPads, and More
HD Discussion Elsewhere
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

All-in-one Security Suites - McAfee, Norton or Another?

Post by bradavon »

My Dad has been using Norton Internet Security for sometime and I find it an excellent package blowing most of the competition away, except it has one flaw.

It's resource hungry.

This thread is not here to discuss the pros vs. cons of Norton Internet Security/Antivirus against the likes of AVG/Zone Alarm that is better suited here:

https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... php?t=1144

I've been looking at the other All-in-one programs and can as far as I can tell only McAfee do an alternative for Norton Internet Security. One of the nice things about Norton's offering is it's "all-in-one" solution. EDIT: Bradavon 2008 - This is wrong there are a dozen security suites. I cannot have looked very hard. I now use Kaspersky Internet Security, see further down.

How does McAfee Internet Security Suite compare? Are there any other all-in-one: "AntiVirus, Firewall, AntiSpyware + AntiSpam (not compulsory)" packages out there?

McAfee's offering looks exactly the same on the service but I'm wondering if it's as resource hungry?

The likes of F-Prot and Sophos don't offer such a package. We use Sophos AntiVirus at work and IMO it's not as good as Norton AntiVirus, which has much more options and like all Norton products has a very easy to use clean interface.
Last edited by bradavon on 26 Feb 2008, 04:37, edited 4 times in total.
wolf.xl
Jackie Chan's BIG toe
Posts: 36
Joined: 26 May 2005, 20:50

Post by wolf.xl »

Well if its for your dad (whom I presume does not visit dodgy porn and warez sites) you should give ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite 6 a try. It come with everything you need including antivirus, antispyware and firewall. If your dad can wait then Kaspersky Internet Security 2006 (under beta testing) is looking very promising.

For a more informed choice given by experts go to http://www.wilderssecurity.com/ one of the best forums on the net dedicated to security.

I personally don't like Norton, becase it's a resource hogg and the suite itself is not very configurable to my needs so I use a whole mele of apps mainly because I don't surf safely like your dad :)
''My dad's B.A. Baracus Only with a JCB and Bruce Lee's nunchuckas...''
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Nope he doesn't visit P2P, porn or warez sites at all. He really needs an all-in-one, easy to use, never need to know about suite.

I've been looking at 'ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite 6' it does look very good. I'm wary of it's antivirus capabilities though, we all know how good it's firewall is but what about it's antivirus?

Thanks for the info on that forum I'll check it out.

I've been reading up on McAfee's one and it too looks to be a bit resource hungry + isn't as good as Norton overall (so that knocks that one out).
wolf.xl wrote:the suite itself is not very configurable to my needs so I use a whole mele of apps mainly because I don't surf safely like your dad :)
How so? I've always found it to be very configurable. It does have to many windows to navigate through though just to enable a port etc . . .
wolf.xl
Jackie Chan's BIG toe
Posts: 36
Joined: 26 May 2005, 20:50

Post by wolf.xl »

Well I use Outpost firewall this allows me to set a DNS command so that an app that tries to access to internet for e.g a trojan phoning home then the firewall will ask me first for permission. I can specificly specify what ports and what type of connectons I want for each and every app use and I can lock down a whole myriad of network protocol to taylor to my needs.

I also use NOD32 antivirus for its advanced heuristic approach to virus detection. Ewido and A2 for anti-trojan. Process Guard to help protect my pc kernal from rootkits and keyloggers. MS Antispyware, spyware blaster, Ad-Aware and Spybot to catch other types of malware. And I also use Online Armour which offers genric protection against spyware and trojans.

Not to mention the system hardening tweaks eg. disabling guests acounts etc.

All so I can surf porn :twisted:
''My dad's B.A. Baracus Only with a JCB and Bruce Lee's nunchuckas...''
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Good point I should disable my guest accounts.

Do you do anything else on your PC? FIVE Spyware programs seems overkill.

I use Spyware Blaster. I like how you don't need it running all the time. I use the free version, it's enough. It's not a big deal to fire it up once a week and click update.

I also use MS Antispyware, it has a nice clean interface (something lacking on many of these applications). Norton AntiVirus has Spyware built into it but I'm dubious at how good it is.

I here Spyware Sweeper is excellent but I don't want to pay more for security I'm already paying for Antivirus which is enough (remembering I don't need a Firewall on MY pc). MS Antispyware is currently free and should be until July 2006 at least.

The thing is I know I can trust Norton's software I've never used ZoneAlarm's virus side to say if it will really protect me and my father. I may give it a go on his PC though to see how it fairs. I'm thinking at least it should be less of a resource hog.

Antivirus etc . . . isn't like an office suite if it goes wrong you're in serious trouble. Still ZoneAlarm Internet Security 6 has been getting rave reviews.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

My Mum's Norton Internet Security expires in March I think I'll wait until then (my Dad has only used 4 of his 12 months license) and then get a copy of 'ZoneAlarm Internet Security 2006/6.0'. I've been with Norton software for a good few years now but it maybe time for a change.

It's been getting rave reviews and is supposed to be lean but mean. I've ordered a free (shipping is free too) 30 day trial CD so can give it a go on her machine before committing. It's an exclusive link off the Lloyds TSB website.

There is also a free Spyware scanner:

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/p ... /index.jsp

Crikey it found 4 entries that MS Antispyware or Norton Antivirus (with it's so called built in scanner) didn't pick up. It also picked up 3 entries that MS Antispyware did too, one being eDonkey which isn't Spyware.

It's very quick. I'm guessing this check just checks the registry. I've deleted the 4 entries manually, as the online checker only searches.
Last edited by bradavon on 26 Feb 2008, 04:39, edited 1 time in total.
wolf.xl
Jackie Chan's BIG toe
Posts: 36
Joined: 26 May 2005, 20:50

Post by wolf.xl »

I usually recommend Zone Alarm suite to family and friends who arn't tech savy. The only downside of Zone Alarm would be that it will ask every now and again about process that want to run and/or access the internet. So it's not completly fool proof. Your best bet is to give the trial run a go and see how your parents feel about it. It may be that you will have to go back to Norton as it's no use running a security app that the user does not understand. Will cause more harm than good.
''My dad's B.A. Baracus Only with a JCB and Bruce Lee's nunchuckas...''
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Thanks for all your help Wolf. Shame on everyone else for not replying :wink:
wolf.xl wrote:I usually recommend Zone Alarm suite to family and friends who arn't tech savy.
So you know people who use it? And they're happy with it?
wolf.xl wrote:The only downside of Zone Alarm would be that it will ask every now and again about process that want to run and/or access the internet.
Norton Internet Security is the same. It's it asks you most of them when you first install it. I deliberately fire up one after the other all my Web enabled applications so NIS knows about them.

That way it gets all the questions out of the way.
wolf.xl wrote:It may be that you will have to go back to Norton as it's no use running a security app that the user does not understand. Will cause more harm than good.
My family don't really know how to use NIS either.

I've just explained that they need to read what the NIS security window says/program it's talking about before accepting it. That said it's actually very good and only once it's suggestion was the wrong one (it once tried to deny access to MSN Messenger).

My brother sister has to deal with this themselves as I'm not around to check there pc out, run diagnostics etc . . . but my Mum and Dad only live close by so I regularly check what applications they've agreed to and occasionally remove/block some. My Mum especially leaves it up to me to run Check Disk, Defrag, checking LiveUpdate for NIS is working etc . . .

When each of their NIS 12 month licences expire I may put them all over to ZoneAlarm but my Dad will be more tricky, he's very stubborn at times and likes NIS. Despite the fact he moans his machine is slow (which it's not, average end-user "it's never fast enough").
wolf.xl
Jackie Chan's BIG toe
Posts: 36
Joined: 26 May 2005, 20:50

Post by wolf.xl »

My brother who uses ZA has no problems with it but he is into computers.

My sister (whos pc illiterate) has been using it for 3 months on her laptop but just recently messed up her IP protocols. I'm not sure how but I think she okayed somthing in one of the ZA pop-up without reading what it was.

My friend who is also pc illiterate has only had it lat week, so time will tell how he'll find it.

I guess they're all happy with it cos they've said nothing. Only my brother actually scans his pc and uses ZA to the max. The others dont really bother with it.

Like I said before install the trial run and see how they like it.
''My dad's B.A. Baracus Only with a JCB and Bruce Lee's nunchuckas...''
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

How much did they pay for it and from where? Cheers
wolf.xl
Jackie Chan's BIG toe
Posts: 36
Joined: 26 May 2005, 20:50

Post by wolf.xl »

They went through the official site. Did not know you could buy it elsewhere for cheaper :(

Of course there are naughty ways of getting ZA free but I like to pay for things I think that are woth it. My annual cost for security apps is about £40-£50. Money well spent IMO 8)
''My dad's B.A. Baracus Only with a JCB and Bruce Lee's nunchuckas...''
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Agreed. Yeah it's £5-15 cheaper elsewhere. Still more than I'd really want to spend but I would.

I'm particularly wary with security software as:

A: You're by design often connecting to their servers so there is a chance (small I know) you will get found out
B: It's not worth the risk corrupting the software somehow by cracking it (small I know).

I used to run cracked NAV but wouldn't anymore (for a few years now).
slasher13
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1799
Joined: 03 Dec 2004, 09:15

Post by slasher13 »

I want to join in now, i use 2 spyware programs called Spybot - Free and Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition 1.06 again Free

My company have paided for me ZoneAlarm, and the paided for version has anti spyware, so in reality i have 3 spyware programs. I don't use Microsoft Spyware, because I'm happy with the above 3 and they get rid of junk on my PC

For Antivirus, my company have paided for AVG, but there is a free version, AVG Free Edition - Highly recommended, alway updates itself

I would recommend in getting these software Bradavon :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Why the need for THREE Antispyware programs? I was thinking of moving over to Ad-Aware (I used to run the full program) as MS Antispyware looks nice but doesn't seem that good.

I'll probably put my parents and siblings over to ZoneAlarm Internet Security but for me I'll be sticking with Norton SystemWorks which includes NAV so no point moving over for me but that does mean a I need an additional Antispyware program (like the NAV one seems limited).

Which version of ZoneAlarm? As one of them already contains AntiVirus. That would've been cheaper than ZoneAlarm + AVG, no?

p.s - Cheers Slasher. I'm not keen on multiple programs, all-in-one is the way to go. Even if it's not "AS" full proof as multiple programs.
slasher13
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1799
Joined: 03 Dec 2004, 09:15

Post by slasher13 »

Why the need for THREE Antispyware programs? I was thinking of moving over to Ad-Aware (I used to run the full program) as MS Antispyware looks nice but doesn't seem that good.
Well in the Spyware world, there is no one product which catches ALL of the junk on your PC. Even went you update the lastest version, i have found when i scan my PC Adware picks up the majority of the spyware, but also Spybot finds a few others. I would recommend in getting both to be on the safe side.

Oh yeah didn't realise my version of Zone Alarm as an anti virus as well. I have ZoneAlarm Pro..
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:Is Kaspersky Internet Security any good (on the whole)? I have a 60 day free trial disc that I haven't yet loaded.
Yes it's brilliant.

No security software is perfect and KIS is no different. I hear it's AntiSpam and Parental Control are weak but seeing as I don't need either of those it doesn't bother me, otherwise it rocks.

Back in 2006 I did lots of research into Security Suites (my preferred method, all suites programs inside one application) and a few programs again and again came out top. Kaspersky Internet Security was one of them. Prior to that I was using ZoneAlarm Internet Security 7 (which happens to use Kaspersky's Anti-Virus engine) and grow to loath it. I ended up ditching ZoneAlarm IS with 2 months left of my licence. I started off with v6 and am now on v7. I haven't looked back.

Kaspersky Internet Security includes:

* Anti-Virus
* AntiSpyware
* Proactive Defence - Not in all Suites
* Firewall - Incoming and Outgoing (XP's Firewall is Incoming Only)
* Privacy Control - Anti-Banner, Popup blocker, Anti-Phising, Anti-Dialer
* Parental Control
* AntiSpam

Kaspersky are known for their Anti-Virus engine. During my research I discovered it's AV engine is almost universally respected. It regularly reaches about 99.8% of Virus Scores in Professional Test (it's impossible to be 100%), this compares with AVG Free which is about 88-89% (i.e - It's Shit!).

As well as the Anti-Virus engine KIS also has excellent AntiSpyware too. To the point I do not run any other AntiSpyware tool, it's overkill IMO. Proactive Defence blocks access to parts of the registry that could cause harm (it's preconfigured for actual software to work), unless you tell it to allow the access. Proactive Defence also offers other extra layers of security that it's impossible to explain without confusing the hell out of you.

ZoneAlarm's Firewall (the Free Edition is based on the same engine as the Pro version) is considered by most to be one of the best. I personally found it made my PC secure by blocking so much nothing worked. I grew to really hate ZoneAlarm software. KIS' Firewall is also excellent too but it has much more intelligence than ZoneAlarm's (IMO).

Many people do run ZoneAlarm Firewall Free Edition fine so it could just be my experience with it, unlike AVG which is just shite.

Anti-Banner blocks those annoying banners/adverts which just slow web traffic. I disable KIS' Popup blocker as Firefox 2 and IE7 offer a Popup Blocker which is already perfectly fine. Anti-Phising adds a layer of protection already offered by Firefox 2 and IE7.

As I said I choose to not install the AntiSpam or Parental Control components.

General reasons why Kaspersky software rocks:

1. Only install the components you actually want.
2. Low memory usage (when dormant it's around 5-15Mb), Norton software is known to be really high. I'm inclined to agree.
3. A really clean, uncluttered and professional user interface. Both AVG and ZoneAlarm look like they were written for Windows 3.1 (i.e - Pre-Windows 95).
4. The option "Scan New or Changed Files Only" when ticked (I think it is by default) only scans files when they change. Most Anti-Virus/AntiSpyware software re-scans files even if they're identical to the last time it scanned them. To give you an idea my first scan with all files scanned took 3.5 hours but subsequent scan now always take 20-30 minutes maximum. I run a weekly My Computer Full Disk Scan (probably overkill).
5. You can either install it with defaults and leave it with those (I'd recommend changing a few options) or configure it to your hearts content. I love software I can either leave as they are or configure and really tweak if I so wish.
6. It has an excellent Tech. Support forum that has a similar relaxed feel to it as Bullets, you wont' get banned over the smallest thing (Zone Labs should take note!). I've only had to ask 2-3 questions and all got replied quickly. I've never had to bother logging an actual support call: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showforum=4
7. Really detailed reports telling you exactly what it's doing.
8. Don't just take my word for it check out the PC Magazine review: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2162401,00.asp
9. It's a Suite so is much more suited to talking to each component better than individual programs for each task - This is general to all Security Suites
10. It does what it's designed to do, very well.
11. I don't know if they'll do it again when v8 launches but when v7 launched they were offering a 180 Day Free Licence (it's now reduced to 60 days).
12. Try it free for 90 Days! When you install the trial version you're given a free 30 day trial, near the end of that you can enter your 60 day before you even need to the 12 month code. Codes only start expiring when you activate them.
13. Anti-Virus/AntiSpyware updates twice/three times a day. Most Anti-Virus/AntiSpyware updates once a day.
14. It's CHEAP! -

* Go to www.aria.co.uk
* Buy "Kaspersky Internet Security 7 OEM" and you if you change the postage to Royal Mail (it defaults to Courier) you can buy it for £15.20. That's a 12 month license for only £15!

Contrary to what Kaspersky may tell you the OEM code you get WILL work with Trial and Retail version. I've done it a few times. I can also recommend Aria too.

For only £15 a year why use three programs that one program can do better? Why use shit software like AVG when it's only £15 a year? That's peanuts IMO. I've used AVG Free Edition and there is a very simple reason it's free.

Now is the perfect time to try it, only the other week Kaspersky released MP1 (i.e - SP1) for Kaspersky Anti-Virus and Internet Security. A new version tends to come out once a year (Free if you're a have a valid licence code) and a Maintenance Pack 6 months after.

The latest version (7.0.1.325) can be downloaded here:

http://www.kaspersky.co.uk/productupdates

Don't download the Trial from their site as they've not updated the links yet and it still shows 7.0.1.321 (which was the initial MP1 build and has problems). FYI Trial Installs and Product Updates are 100% identical, both will give you the Trial version or Full with a valid code.

Things to note:

* If you do end up giving it ago uninstall your current Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware and Firewall software. Kaspersky is able to automatically disable Windows Firewall if you use that.
* If you do keep KIS7 all you need from the CD you get from Aria is the code on the back, you don't actually need the CD at all. In fact I'd recommend you don't use it, it will be old.
* Once a year just buy a new KIS CD from Aria.

In the past I've used Norton Internet Security (decent but way too much CPU/Memory hungry), AVG "Free" (Shite!) and ZoneAlarm Internet Security (Even more Shite!). I'm not the sort to stick with security software if I dislike it and did lots of research in 2006 reading up on all Security Suites before giving KIS ago.

Kaspersky Anti-Virus or Kaspersky Internet Security is in another league!

As you can see I now know KIS software pretty much inside out. I hope that helps.