Page 1 of 2

The MovieTyme Bargains Thread!

Posted: 10 Oct 2005, 22:44
by romerojpg
MOVIETYME IN UK??????? CUSTOMS FREE? -

Well I want Battlestar Galactica Season 1 from them, but it seems the site is based towards americans now! :? do they ship from UK still or not? as its not worth getting if customs get the bugger.

Posted: 11 Oct 2005, 08:34
by slasher13
Hey Romerojpg

I've never had any problems with them. I purchased the Kenshin Premium boxset and didn't get stung from Custom. I believe they still ship from the UK.

Posted: 11 Oct 2005, 16:05
by romerojpg
Ahhh nice to know still :) I used them ages ago you see and the site says to contact them sent mail to america, so BG S1 will be bought as its cheapest place on the net (after appaulimng customs charges everywhere else)

Posted: 12 Oct 2005, 19:48
by bradavon
How is the site geared towards the USA? You just need to change the currency to Sterling.

They're expensive though from experiance.

Posted: 13 Oct 2005, 08:38
by slasher13
They're expensive though from experiance.
i found some of there titles quite cheap. eg Dune TV Special Edition (3 Disk) for £6.99.

Posted: 13 Oct 2005, 10:00
by bradavon
Fair enough, cheers for the heads up.

Posted: 13 Oct 2005, 15:10
by saltysam
been using these a lot again lately,my original region 1 supplier :D craig who runs it is a good guy. some prices are pretty good lost season 1 at £29.99 was ok,they ship from usa to a base in uk then reship out i think.they are customs free and always ship titles a week or 2 early.

Posted: 13 Oct 2005, 16:08
by romerojpg
I only used them a few times in the past as I am one of the people who doesnt like to pay extra to get a dvd early.
I would rather wait longer and get it cheaper, still some titles are cheaper than anywhere else when you factor in customs, Battlestar is one of them :)

Posted: 13 Oct 2005, 16:19
by saltysam
yeah since soon shit on me and everyone else been jugling my region 1 suppliers with mixed results.got hit with a £17 charge on a dvdpacific package today :cry: so as you say factor in customs and movietyme can be reasonable.

Posted: 13 Oct 2005, 20:55
by romerojpg
DVDSOON are scum! lets hope they burn in hel,l soon! after I get my hundreds of $ back! :roll:

Posted: 23 Feb 2008, 03:04
by bradavon

Posted: 07 Mar 2008, 06:55
by bradavon

Posted: 09 Mar 2008, 21:45
by bradavon

Posted: 10 Mar 2008, 17:06
by saltysam
American Gangster combo back at £10.99

http://www.movietyme.com/catalog/produc ... ea78ee5a39

Posted: 18 Apr 2008, 07:51
by bradavon
American Gangster HD-DVD Combo £8.99 -

http://www.movietyme.com/catalog/produc ... s_id=38907

Posted: 26 Apr 2008, 05:17
by bradavon
£7.99
Dawn of the Dead (Blu-Ray) (1979)
Day Of The Dead (Blu Ray)
Evil Dead 2 (Blu ray)

£8.99
Devil's Rejects, The (Blu-ray)
First Blood (Blu-ray)
Stir of Echoes (Blu-ray)

£9.99
Fifth Element - Remastered (Blu-Ray)
Halloween (Blu ray)
Punisher, The (Blu-ray) (2004)
Road Warrior, The (Blu-ray)
Scanner Darkly (Blu-ray)
Stargate (Blu-ray)
Total Recall (Blu-ray) (1990)
Terminator 2: Judgement Day (Blu-ray) (1991)

Source: AV Forums.

Posted: 26 Apr 2008, 14:22
by romerojpg
Go to Browse

Bargain Titles = HD DVD = list in cheapest first order

and they some cheaper still.

Posted: 26 Apr 2008, 18:21
by bradavon
Thanks Romero. I went for Traffic HD-DVD for £6.99 with £1 off.

Here are the links:

HD-DVD: http://www.movietyme.com/catalog/budget ... 18&sort=5a
BD: http://www.movietyme.com/catalog/defaul ... 55&sort=5a

Posted: 26 Apr 2008, 18:34
by romerojpg
You can also get more of Movietyme £1 vouchers, by not ordering with the same acocunt, start a new account each time you order a HD title and use a different email addy and you get £1 vouchers sent to each account, instead of 1 a month for 1 account.

I did it by accident as I forgot my password etc.. and I get a few now on seperate email addys.

Posted: 26 Apr 2008, 18:54
by bradavon
It annoys me they expire. I've not been able to use a voucher before for ages. I don't buy from MovieTyme every month.

Posted: 27 Apr 2008, 02:50
by EvaUnit02
bradavon wrote:Thanks Romero. I went for Traffic HD-DVD for £6.99 with £1 off.
The Universal HD-DVD that uses a DVD transfer? Fucking fool. :lol:

Posted: 27 Apr 2008, 03:20
by bradavon
I'm not convinced that's true:

http://www.dvdauthority.com/reviews.asp?ReviewID=4804
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/traffic.html
http://www.dvdtown.com/reviews/traffic/3955/2
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/24577/traffic/

All giving solid picture quality reviews, taking into account Traffic will never looking stunning. Even if it is true, those reviews still say it looks better than the DVD.

EDIT: I've cancelled it (MovieTyme let you do it online). I was already really unsure whether I needed it when my Criterion offers such an excellent package already (excellent extras).

Having checked out the comparison again, including the extensive capture comparison over at AVS Forum:

https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... php?t=3502

I'm not convinced it's a 480i Upscaled picture (but will bow to the knowledge of more experienced users) but it definitely looks poor. Some shots look sharper than the SD DVD but others look full of edge enhancement. The biggest problem though is the excessive Mosquito Noise, not on the SD DVD or Broadcast HD Transfer. The 720p Broadcast HD Transfer looks lovely.

It does bode the question: Is it really worth keeping the Leaving Las Vegas HD-DVD? That looks very poor too.

Thanks Eva, for prompting me to take another look.

Posted: 14 May 2008, 05:04
by bradavon
The Longest Day: 2 Disc Special Edition: DVD £3.99 -

http://www.movietyme.com/catalog/produc ... s_id=39162

Posted: 17 May 2008, 13:59
by saltysam
I Am Legend blu-ray £11.99- not bad for a pretty newish release

http://www.movietyme.com/catalog/produc ... s_id=39199

Posted: 17 May 2008, 14:12
by romerojpg
saltysam wrote:I Am Legend blu-ray £11.99- not bad for a pretty newish release

http://www.movietyme.com/catalog/produc ... s_id=39199

Tiny bit cheaper here I think
http://www.tower.com/details/details.cfm?wapi=111852429

For such a big film the Blu Ray's a damn disapointment extras wise. The film has got worse each watch for me :D 3 times for me now, the Blu Ray was the worst, the film just feels wrong. 3 times in 5 months, scary!

But it was free for me so I am happy haha