What Have You Just Seen... Marks Out of 5

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

Post by thelostdragon »

Rob-B-Hood - 3/5
Wow! Didn't expect this to be so good. That's why it took me so long until I watched it. It had some really good laughs and the action isn't too bad at all.
Image
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

:D I know Mark, I need to start taking notes ;)
Of course I watched the film but that was the first time I'd seen it.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Axl Rose and friends aka The Guns & Roses Experience: Chinese Democracy Tour. Vector Arena, Auckland - 4/5
Axl had assembled a fine bunch of talented musicians, but it took the combined efforts of three guitarists to make up for the lack of Slash. The classics were epic when performed, but the new material ranged from average/unremarkable to utterly revolting.

He seriously has jumped the shark and totally gone Bono. Blunt political songs, one was intercut with speech by Martin Luther King. Jesus Fucking Christ. I hope this album never gets released. We have enough of that shit today from douche bag liberal musicians like U2 and Green Day, please don't taint the memories of those legendary hair metal songs.
slasher13
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1799
Joined: 03 Dec 2004, 09:15

Post by slasher13 »

bradavon wrote:Can EH be bought without the packaging?
I don't know, Amazon have the EH: Sp Ed for under a tenner, play has the special edition dvd case, but the people write that it does come in the tomb case, see http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/1098572/ ... oduct.html

You don't want the packaging?? Its great :D
User avatar
Knetan
Hail the Judge!
Posts: 2009
Joined: 12 Mar 2006, 12:57
Location: Sweden

Post by Knetan »

hey,

The New Age Of Living Together 3/5

aka Conjugal Affairs and In Between, three intersecting stories of roomates (Jan Lam, Nicky Wu and Maggie Cheung) are directed by Samson Chiu, Yonfan and Sylvia Chang respectively. Fairly likeable results resides in the first two, touching upon crushes merely leaning towards friendship, fear of loneliness but Sylvia's contribution to Maggie Cheung's pregnancy story is delightful. Especially Eric Kot who plays her gay friend is hugely funny and endearing, despite basically being the Eric Kot we hate.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

I'd have to agree overall Eva. Too many rock bands have gone all pop, Bon Jovi's stuff isn't remotely good as it used to be. Not that I've ever been a big fan of GAR or U2.
slasher13 wrote:You don't want the packaging?? Its great :D
Nope. It looks nice but would take way too much space up, it's not worth it for me.
User avatar
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4727
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 21:33
Location: Scotland

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Hot Shots! 4/5
Aye pretty funny imo.

Dreamgirls 3.5/5
Not bad at all.
Image
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 5577
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 15:18
Location: Where you'll never find me

Post by tom2681 »

Millennium Mambo: 1 / 5

Oh dear. I must've missed something.

Was I supposed to care about Shu Qi's character ?
That annoying bitch who spends most of her time doing absolutely nothing, apart from taking drugs and smoking cigarettes ?

Sorry, Mr Hou Hsiao-Hsien. I just can't.

I'll give you 1/5 for the opening sequence, but that's it.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
User avatar
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 11932
Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
Location: Japan

Post by HungFist »

Damn, that's got to be a masterpiece. And this is no joke. A Hou Hsiao-Hsien movie where nothing happens and Tom hates it. I think I should get the R2J.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

BiscLimpkit wrote:Dreamgirls 3.5/5
Not bad at all.
Is that all you have to say? ;) . It's freaking awesome. I'd give it 8 out of 10 easily. Eddie Murphy is excellent and it shows he still has it when he can be bothered.

I've seen it twice and would own it if I wasn't waiting to get the HD where it will look awesome. The soundtrack is awesome too. I even bought the CD for it.
User avatar
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4727
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 21:33
Location: Scotland

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Yeah well the music was pretty cool.
Image
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Spider-Man: The Alien Costume - 4.25/5

This is an excellent 2 parter episode showing the black suit and Venom. In the black suit, Spidey is supposed to be menacing (unlike the film where its largely played for laughs) but he pulls back before he actually hurts anyone.
User avatar
degeneration
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1474
Joined: 30 Oct 2004, 08:49
Location: Wales (but I'm Scottish!!)

Post by degeneration »

Lost Season 3 5/5

Loved it. Fecking brilliant. but I hated it. Why oh why oh why can't they just answer some of the questions that have been hanging over the series since it started?!?!?! It is so bloody annoying still waiting to find out so many answers!! And I thought the finale would have answered some but posed some others, but to me it just seemed as though more questions and mysteries were raised!

Never enjoyed being frustrated so much...
Lourdes
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1994
Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 16:19

Post by Lourdes »

tom2681 wrote:Millennium Mambo: 1 / 5

Oh dear. I must've missed something.

Was I supposed to care about Shu Qi's character ?
That annoying bitch who spends most of her time doing absolutely nothing, apart from taking drugs and smoking cigarettes ?

Sorry, Mr Hou Hsiao-Hsien. I just can't.

I'll give you 1/5 for the opening sequence, but that's it.
My opinion to the letter except that in retrospect the opening is rubbish too, it's like it's for a completely different film.
User avatar
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4727
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 21:33
Location: Scotland

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Lourdes,

In your opinion, are Hsiao-hsien Hou films generally rubbish? Or has he made a few decent ones?
Image
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

bradavon wrote:
BiscLimpkit wrote:Dreamgirls 3.5/5
Not bad at all.
Is that all you have to say? ;) . It's freaking awesome. I'd give it 8 out of 10 easily. Eddie Murphy is excellent and it shows he still has it when he can be bothered.

I've seen it twice and would own it if I wasn't waiting to get the HD where it will look awesome. The soundtrack is awesome too. I even bought the CD for it.
Deserves maybe half a star, if that. Oscar wanna be crapfest.
User avatar
Knetan
Hail the Judge!
Posts: 2009
Joined: 12 Mar 2006, 12:57
Location: Sweden

Post by Knetan »

hey,

The Game They Called Sex 3/5

Maggie Cheung stars as a woman living with tradition of being married but is looking for an emotional release in the form of love. Dare you long for that and how much will it hurt to actually find some time to feel, walking the path of life? Dangerously pretentious but generally intriguing drama by three directors (Sylvia Chang being one) and we're glad to not to expect the expected in terms of dramatic beats. In fact, the film never really settles for an end which is fine.
User avatar
brooce-leroy
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1279
Joined: 28 Dec 2004, 14:52

Post by brooce-leroy »

degeneration wrote:Lost Season 3 5/5

Loved it. Fecking brilliant. but I hated it. Why oh why oh why can't they just answer some of the questions that have been hanging over the series since it started?!?!?! It is so bloody annoying still waiting to find out so many answers!! And I thought the finale would have answered some but posed some others, but to me it just seemed as though more questions and mysteries were raised!
Because it's going to stretch for another 3 seasons, and probably end up like X Files, with lots of stuff left unanswered. Still good though.
User avatar
brooce-leroy
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1279
Joined: 28 Dec 2004, 14:52

Post by brooce-leroy »

Knetan wrote:hey,

The Game They Called Sex 3/5

Maggie Cheung stars as a woman living with tradition of being married but is looking for an emotional release in the form of love. Dare you long for that and how much will it hurt to actually find some time to feel, walking the path of life? Dangerously pretentious but generally intriguing drama by three directors (Sylvia Chang being one) and we're glad to not to expect the expected in terms of dramatic beats. In fact, the film never really settles for an end which is fine.

Any actual sexual games (in a physical sense) in it then?
User avatar
brooce-leroy
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1279
Joined: 28 Dec 2004, 14:52

Post by brooce-leroy »

romerojpg wrote: Deserves maybe half a star, if that. Oscar wanna be crapfest.
Brad likes all the oscar friendly movies. ;) :D
Lourdes
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1994
Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 16:19

Post by Lourdes »

BiscLimpkit wrote:Lourdes,

In your opinion, are Hsiao-hsien Hou films generally rubbish? Or has he made a few decent ones?
His older films are very, very good. But I don't much like his recent ones, they are far too conscious of themselves.
User avatar
Knetan
Hail the Judge!
Posts: 2009
Joined: 12 Mar 2006, 12:57
Location: Sweden

Post by Knetan »

brooce-leroy wrote:
Knetan wrote:hey,

The Game They Called Sex 3/5

Maggie Cheung stars as a woman living with tradition of being married but is looking for an emotional release in the form of love. Dare you long for that and how much will it hurt to actually find some time to feel, walking the path of life? Dangerously pretentious but generally intriguing drama by three directors (Sylvia Chang being one) and we're glad to not to expect the expected in terms of dramatic beats. In fact, the film never really settles for an end which is fine.

Any actual sexual games (in a physical sense) in it then?
It's a good question and the title is actually a tease as you think it will head down some sexual awakening paths but doesn't. Obviously young Maggie didn't at one career point reveal her points but I kind of like this tease. Gives way to something more meaningful, which contains a perspective on Chinese societ....I'm boring you btw? ;) :D
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Spider-Man: The Venom Saga (5 episodes overall): 4.25/5

All fine episodes, I wish season sets would be released on DVD though.
Perhaps they'll put Carnage in the 4th film or expand Venom's role
Last edited by grim_tales on 03 Jul 2007, 14:13, edited 1 time in total.
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 5577
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 15:18
Location: Where you'll never find me

Post by tom2681 »

Still Life (2006 - China - Jia Zhang-Ke): 2 / 5

Image

Booooring.

Yes, the cinematography is beautiful.
Yes, the acting is great.
But it's so slow...
Makes Wong Kar-Wai's movies look like epileptic MTV videos.

I've never been so bored in my entire life.

---
I understand why it got an award at the Venice film festival, though.
It's exactly the kind of film that pseudo-intellectuals like.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

Post by thelostdragon »

Great acting and great cinematography don't necessarily make a good film. Look at "Irreversible". Awesome acting, but hell was it a piece of crap.
Image