Fortune Star - A Better Tomorrow Trilogy - WTF???

China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Thailand, etc
Ray_Rogers
Little White Dragon
Posts: 96
Joined: 22 Jul 2006, 04:30
Location: Watsonville, California

Post by Ray_Rogers »

Markgway wrote:They could do ABT4.

Chow Yun-Fat, Ti Lung, and Dean Shek are still going... the latter two are getting on a bit though.

They could set it in an old folks home.

Think of the carnage!!!
Good one. :wink: I have to go to the Post Office downtown to pick up the package Friday. :roll:
I'm back AGAIN.
Film grain is a good thing dammit! Say NO to DNR/EE!
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Was there an HKL DVD of ABT 2? Whats that like?
chenlung
King of Beggars
Posts: 901
Joined: 27 Feb 2005, 22:45
Location: Scotland

Post by chenlung »

grim_tales wrote:Was there an HKL DVD of ABT 2? Whats that like?
http://caps-a-holic.com/vergleich.php?vergleichID=507

I rented it - not bad :).
Scott
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Was there 1 of III as well?
chenlung
King of Beggars
Posts: 901
Joined: 27 Feb 2005, 22:45
Location: Scotland

Post by chenlung »

grim_tales wrote:Was there 1 of III as well?
It was planned (a promo trailer was on the ABT2 disc), but it never got out.
Scott
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Thanks :)
I'll keep my IVL (?) box for now.
chenlung
King of Beggars
Posts: 901
Joined: 27 Feb 2005, 22:45
Location: Scotland

Post by chenlung »

IVL: Progressive and mono.
Spectrum: Slightly more image at the sides and it's sharper.

I'd go for IVL, but it's a bit annoying :).

Elsewhere, HKL has re-translated subtitles, whilst perhaps the US DVD may have better quality audio?

There's no perfect DVD.
Scott
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

When I say IVL I mean Fortune Star :)
chenlung
King of Beggars
Posts: 901
Joined: 27 Feb 2005, 22:45
Location: Scotland

Post by chenlung »

grim_tales wrote:When I say IVL I mean Fortune Star :)
Fortune Star only provide their materials to such distributors as Spectrum and IVL.
Scott
Ray_Rogers
Little White Dragon
Posts: 96
Joined: 22 Jul 2006, 04:30
Location: Watsonville, California

Post by Ray_Rogers »

chenlung wrote:IVL: Progressive and mono.
Spectrum: Slightly more image at the sides and it's sharper.

I'd go for IVL, but it's a bit annoying :).

Elsewhere, HKL has re-translated subtitles, whilst perhaps the US DVD may have better quality audio?

There's no perfect DVD.
Are you talking about the Anchor Bay release? That was only a single layer DVD and I sold it right as soon as I got the IVL/Fortune Star set of John Woo's Hero Collection. Now since I officially own the Joy Sales/Fortune Star release of the Trilogy, I have a double of I. Finally glad to own a set of the Trilogy which looks great, retains the film grain and has original theatrical audio. Only one let-down. The set isn't in a sturdy cardboard case IVL/Fortune Star had with their sets. It's just a slipcover.
Would "sharper" mean more DNR/EE? That's actually a detractor.
I'm back AGAIN.
Film grain is a good thing dammit! Say NO to DNR/EE!
User avatar
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 11932
Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
Location: Japan

Post by HungFist »

Ray_Rogers wrote:
chenlung wrote:IVL: Progressive and mono.
Spectrum: Slightly more image at the sides and it's sharper.

I'd go for IVL, but it's a bit annoying :).

Elsewhere, HKL has re-translated subtitles, whilst perhaps the US DVD may have better quality audio?

There's no perfect DVD.
Are you talking about the Anchor Bay release? That was only a single layer DVD and I sold it right as soon as I got the IVL/Fortune Star set of John Woo's Hero Collection. Now since I officially own the Joy Sales/Fortune Star release of the Trilogy, I have a double of I. Finally glad to own a set of the Trilogy which looks great, retains the film grain and has original theatrical audio. Only one let-down. The set isn't in a sturdy cardboard case IVL/Fortune Star had with their sets. It's just a slipcover.
Would "sharper" mean more DNR/EE? That's actually a detractor.
Are you talking about the first film, Ray? I had the Hero Collection but I sold it as soon as I got the Anchor Bay release. IVL's frame freezing was intolerable.
chenlung
King of Beggars
Posts: 901
Joined: 27 Feb 2005, 22:45
Location: Scotland

Post by chenlung »

Are you talking about the Anchor Bay release?
Yes, sorry. Despite being single layer, it may have better-handled audio (Fortune Star are said to over-filter their audio). I wonder what the subtitles on it are like.
Would "sharper" mean more DNR/EE? That's actually a detractor.
No, I think it's higher bitrate. Have a look at the comparison.
Scott
Ray_Rogers
Little White Dragon
Posts: 96
Joined: 22 Jul 2006, 04:30
Location: Watsonville, California

Post by Ray_Rogers »

HungFist wrote:
Ray_Rogers wrote:
chenlung wrote:IVL: Progressive and mono.
Spectrum: Slightly more image at the sides and it's sharper.

I'd go for IVL, but it's a bit annoying :).

Elsewhere, HKL has re-translated subtitles, whilst perhaps the US DVD may have better quality audio?

There's no perfect DVD.
Are you talking about the Anchor Bay release? That was only a single layer DVD and I sold it right as soon as I got the IVL/Fortune Star set of John Woo's Hero Collection. Now since I officially own the Joy Sales/Fortune Star release of the Trilogy, I have a double of I. Finally glad to own a set of the Trilogy which looks great, retains the film grain and has original theatrical audio. Only one let-down. The set isn't in a sturdy cardboard case IVL/Fortune Star had with their sets. It's just a slipcover.
Would "sharper" mean more DNR/EE? That's actually a detractor.
Are you talking about the first film, Ray? I had the Hero Collection but I sold it as soon as I got the Anchor Bay release. IVL's frame freezing was intolerable.
Yeah I think I am talking about the first film.
chenlung wrote:
Are you talking about the Anchor Bay release?
Yes, sorry. Despite being single layer, it may have better-handled audio (Fortune Star are said to over-filter their audio). I wonder what the subtitles on it are like.
Would "sharper" mean more DNR/EE? That's actually a detractor.
No, I think it's higher bitrate. Have a look at the comparison.
I don't remember what the subtitles were like. I've seen image comparisons on caps-a-holic.com and alot of the times bitrate means not alot if you're also including how the encode looks, whether or not the image is progressive and alot of other factors.
Hopefully when the Trilogy's released onto Blu-ray, it'll utilise a BD-50, high bitrate using either AVC or VC1 codec with no DNR/EE, fully lossless original theatrical audio and some great extras for each entry. Of course fully retranslated subs would be nice.
I'd only buy the HKL release of I & II for the extras. :wink:
I'm back AGAIN.
Film grain is a good thing dammit! Say NO to DNR/EE!