Page 164 of 325
Posted: 24 Jan 2007, 21:13
by bradavon
Nice reviews thanks Romero. Good to hear someone liked Lady in the Water.
Posted: 24 Jan 2007, 21:56
by saltysam
Silver Hawk 1/5
Michelle yeoh what were you thinkiing? dire in the extreme.
Nacho Libre 2.5/5
Pleasant enough but forgettable Jack Black comedy.
Posted: 25 Jan 2007, 17:39
by romerojpg
saltysam wrote: Silver Hawk 1/5
Michelle yeoh what were you thinkiing? dire in the extreme.

great honest mark for it

I think I wanted to give it
0.5 out of 5
Posted: 26 Jan 2007, 10:27
by grim_tales
Garfield & Friends - 4/5
Uneven (the segments with Garfield himself are the best IMO) but often funny, even hilarious, upon revisiting it, largely due to the voice acting of Lorenzo Music (Peter Venkman in "The Real Ghostbusters") as Garfield, who has a sarcastic, sardonic wit.

Posted: 26 Jan 2007, 13:30
by thelostdragon
Zatoichi: The Festival of Fire - 4/5
Very good. Almost no blood, unlike the Kitano interpretation, but then again it is the only Zatoichi film I have yet seen of the old ones.
Posted: 26 Jan 2007, 13:43
by grim_tales
Did the Garfield toon play in Germany LD?

Posted: 26 Jan 2007, 16:54
by Markgway
Odd trivia:
Lorenzo Music did the voice for the cartoon version of Peter Venkman in The Real Ghostbusters - a character played on film by Bill Murray.
Bill Murray did the voiceover on film for Garfield as Lorenzo Music had done for the TV cartoon.
Posted: 26 Jan 2007, 18:03
by grim_tales
Yeah! And its funny, because the cartoon Garfield (Lorenzo Music) does sound rather like Bill Murray (IMO)

Posted: 26 Jan 2007, 18:31
by Shingster
lol that's the point Grim, Lorenzo was hired for Ghostbusters because he sounds like Bill Murray, and Bill Murray was hired for Garfield because he's the one bankable film star who sounds like the established voice of Garfield (Lorenzo).
Posted: 26 Jan 2007, 18:38
by grim_tales
Lorenzo was also the voice of Tummi Gummi in "The Gummi Bears".
Posted: 26 Jan 2007, 19:21
by saltysam
Texas Chainsaw Massacre:The Beginning 2.5/5
How many times can they remake the same movie.? watchable but instantly forgettable gorefest.
16 Blocks 3/5
Entertaining police thriller starring Bruce Willis. Mos Dev is irritating as his co-star though.
Posted: 26 Jan 2007, 21:36
by Knetan
hey,
Dog Bite Dog 3.5/5
Soi Cheang's film is a vicious statement, one that will be sneered at automatically like any opinion divided subject but no doubt this can be called compelling, thematically sound and a pure injection of distinction Hong Kong cinema is in need of. Well it should be called that.
Minus points for an ending where Cheang showcases he's into a bit too much for him to handle.
Posted: 26 Jan 2007, 23:09
by Markgway
saltysam wrote:Mos Dev is irritating as his co-star though.
I agree. He sounded retarded.
Posted: 26 Jan 2007, 23:28
by BiscLimpkit
Cats (theatre) 4.5/5
Ace min.
Posted: 26 Jan 2007, 23:46
by thelostdragon
grim_tales wrote:Did the Garfield toon play in Germany LD?

Huh?
Posted: 27 Jan 2007, 00:18
by Markgway
cartoon
Posted: 27 Jan 2007, 00:43
by thelostdragon
Mark, do you happen to look like this?
I don't get what Garfield has to do with "Zatoichi".
Posted: 27 Jan 2007, 01:38
by Yi-Long
Just watched A Bittersweet Life.
I really liked it, and I'd probably core it 4 outta 5, but there's one thing bugging me: Who's the guy who shows up at the end?
Posted: 27 Jan 2007, 01:41
by thelostdragon
Yi-Long wrote:Just watched A Bittersweet Life.
I really liked it, and I'd probably core it 4 outta 5, but there's one thing bugging me: Who's the guy who shows up at the end?
He is the guy
who the arms dealers were actually waiting for. Don't take my word on that, but I think he was the weapons dealer's brother or so who seeks revenge. Remember how he came to the sight of all the dead thugs in the apartment?
Posted: 27 Jan 2007, 01:57
by Yi-Long
thelostdragon wrote:Yi-Long wrote:Just watched A Bittersweet Life.
I really liked it, and I'd probably core it 4 outta 5, but there's one thing bugging me: Who's the guy who shows up at the end?
He is the guy
who the arms dealers were actually waiting for. Don't take my word on that, but I think he was the weapons dealer's brother or so who seeks revenge. Remember how he came to the sight of all the dead thugs in the apartment?
Thanks man.
(I actually went hunting down on IMDB and Wiki etc, and had already figured it out now by myself, so was gonna post an :'edit; nvm' but yeah, that was the guy who showed up at the arms-dealers place finding the bodies etc. I really should have figured it out by myself... so I'm hitting myself over the head for not having kept that in mind through to the end...)
Anyway, great movie. My girlfriend felt it was a little too slow though. She needs action. But I enjoyed the pace of the movie, taking it's time, and showing him going through the troubles of getting a gun etc...
Posted: 27 Jan 2007, 02:00
by thelostdragon
I just love the film. Just when I thought "They don't make any film-noir type of films" comes this jewel from South Korea.
Posted: 27 Jan 2007, 03:38
by Markgway
thelostdragon wrote:I don't get what Garfield has to do with "Zatoichi".
There was no way I could know that from a simple "huh"
And stop posting my picture, thanks.
Posted: 27 Jan 2007, 03:39
by Markgway
Yi-Long wrote:My girlfriend felt it was a little too slow though. She needs action...
I'll bet she does.... 8)
Posted: 27 Jan 2007, 10:36
by grim_tales
thelostdragon wrote:Mark, do you happen to look like this?
I don't get what Garfield has to do with "Zatoichi".
Nothing LD, I just thought you might have read my review of Garfield and was asking if you'd seen the cartoon

Posted: 27 Jan 2007, 20:29
by tom2681
The Sword of Many Lovers (1993 - Poon Man-Kit - With Leon Lai and Cheung Man): 4 / 5
Since it came with Handsome Siblings in the HK Vidéo boxset, I was expecting some more wire-fu nonsense.
But that's not what this is.
Sword of Many Lovers is a well-directed over-the-top melodrama with a few fights here and there.
Sure the plot is a bit messy and full of holes, sure the wires are visible, sure there are many editing and continuity mistakes, but thankfully the good outweighs the bad.
Poon Man-Kit really knows how to hold his camera, and Cheung Man and Michelle Reis are both very impressive.
They make Leon Lai look even more useless than usual.
They should have asked Andy Lau, Jackie Cheung or maybe even Sam Hui to star in this. Not Leon "I'm-as-expressive-as-a-dead-fish" Lai.
Still... good film.
