The Official "Dragon Dynasty" Thread!

China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Thailand, etc
User avatar
Old Pang Yau
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 234
Joined: 24 Mar 2007, 04:02

Post by Old Pang Yau »

bradavon wrote:Aren't all the Dimension releases non-anamorphic?
Most were, but later releases, such as DMII, Iron Monkey, Project A2, and Dragon Lord had actual anamorphic releases.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Thanks. I was just wondering as for me it doesn't matter how good the picture is if they go and stuff it up by making it non-anamorphic.
DangerousLeeHandsome
Flirting Scholar
Posts: 313
Joined: 16 Oct 2006, 02:27
Location: California, US

Post by DangerousLeeHandsome »

Oh god, the black t-shirt! Isn't that the exact same image on the old Dimension Supercop DVD? Oh well, atleast Michelle's on the cover with him. She's the real reason to watch Supercop.
chenlung
King of Beggars
Posts: 901
Joined: 27 Feb 2005, 22:45
Location: Scotland

Post by chenlung »

DangerousLeeHandsome wrote:Oh god, the black t-shirt! Isn't that the exact same image on the old Dimension Supercop DVD? Oh well, atleast Michelle's on the cover with him. She's the real reason to watch Supercop.
I think I've seen Michelle's image elsewhere before.

And no, the previous Dimension image isn't the same as here.
Scott
RickyTheDragonSteamboat
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 265
Joined: 07 Dec 2006, 23:54

Post by RickyTheDragonSteamboat »

That Jackie Chan image is indeed different from the Dimension cover. Not much of an improvement though.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

Someone on Kung Fu Cinema mentioned there are strong rumours That DD have the Bruce Lee movies and are planning Blu-Ray releases for them in 2009. Hope that's true :)
working class blu-ray fan
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Sounds interesting :)
chenlung
King of Beggars
Posts: 901
Joined: 27 Feb 2005, 22:45
Location: Scotland

Post by chenlung »

saltysam wrote:Someone on Kung Fu Cinema mentioned there are strong rumours That DD have the Bruce Lee movies and are planning Blu-Ray releases for them in 2009. Hope that's true :)
I doubt it, think that was just cloud talk unless something changed recently with the Fox rights as DD didn't have them before.

They'd have to be something severely different for me to buy and not half-arsedness again (interviews with "people that knew him best" and incorrect languages with subpar subtitles).
Scott
DangerousLeeHandsome
Flirting Scholar
Posts: 313
Joined: 16 Oct 2006, 02:27
Location: California, US

Post by DangerousLeeHandsome »

I highly doubt that as well. If we ever get Bruce Lee on Bluray, I'm sure it'll be from Fox and not DD.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

I havent had a problem with the subs :)
"Fist" is Mandarin from Fox/HKL.
"Boss" is Mandarin from Fox.
"Way" is in Mandarin from Fox. What dont you like about the subs?
chenlung
King of Beggars
Posts: 901
Joined: 27 Feb 2005, 22:45
Location: Scotland

Post by chenlung »

Fox discs are interlaced - the subs will be inferior to HKL's correction jobs as they're source will be from theatrical prints. One very slightly annoying thing is the newly placed akas.
Scott
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

Despite those flaws the Fox editions are still the best currently available.
Image
RickyTheDragonSteamboat
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 265
Joined: 07 Dec 2006, 23:54

Post by RickyTheDragonSteamboat »

I didn't find those "aka's" bothersome at all. A little out of place but nothing too big. Nothing like DD physically changing the Banquet to Legend of the black Scorpion. that was kinda gay.
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!
Posts: 2380
Joined: 16 Mar 2005, 23:05

Post by Killer Meteor »

I find the AKAs tacky but tolerable. Unlike the Mandarin track on Fox's Big Boss going WAY out of sync during a key fight scene...
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

I have the FOX "Boss" and didnt notice this (but then I don't notice much :P ) What scene is that?
User avatar
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 11932
Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 15:50
Location: Japan

Post by HungFist »

grim_tales wrote:I have the FOX "Boss" and didnt notice this (but then I don't notice much :P )
Did you watch it with mono or 5.1? Did you notice? :wink:

I'm decently satisfied with the HKL Platimum Edition. It's in cantonese of course, but the track is fully in sync and sounds good to my ears. Any other glitches (correct music cues etc.) I wouldn't be able to point out as I'm hardly an expert when it comes to these films.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Me too. It also looks fantastic too. The Fortune Star DVDs are overrated. Sure HKL used them as a basis (and added pink) but HKL also clearly did a lot more to them too. For that reason I can put up with the pink.

The Fortune Star (Fox in my case) don't look anywhere as good as the work HKL did on them (TBB and FOF in this case). I just wish they'd re-release/fix WOTD but that's never going to happen now :(.
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!
Posts: 2380
Joined: 16 Mar 2005, 23:05

Post by Killer Meteor »

All HKL did is stick a ton of edge enhancement on them. Some look pretty weak
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

I watched it with Mandarin mono Hung.
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!
Posts: 2380
Joined: 16 Mar 2005, 23:05

Post by Killer Meteor »

It goes out of sync when Bruce is fighting the Boss's son
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Thanks.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Ivan Drago wrote:All HKL did is stick a ton of edge enhancement on them. Some look pretty weak
Are you sure? TBB and FOF look loads different. They may have added edge enhancement though. I've not watched them for ages, before I was better at spotting it.
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!
Posts: 2380
Joined: 16 Mar 2005, 23:05

Post by Killer Meteor »

bradavon wrote:
Ivan Drago wrote:All HKL did is stick a ton of edge enhancement on them. Some look pretty weak
Are you sure? TBB and FOF look loads different. They may have added edge enhancement though. I've not watched them for ages, before I was better at spotting it.
FOF HKL has bad colour "enhancements" for sure
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

The CE was worse (though at the time I thought the restoration was amazing). Its impressive for a film from 1972, but Bruce's hair is brown in the CE, its supposed to be black!
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Ivan Drago wrote:FOF HKL has bad colour "enhancements" for sure
True. I was talking about edge enhancement not colour alteration though.