Asian Movies in HD!

Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
mike dk
Jackie Chan's BIG toe
Posts: 34
Joined: 29 Nov 2006, 22:04

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by mike dk »

The great Cine Asia label will release "Shaolin" in the future, but I'm guessing it might be slightly cut due to "horsefall" scenes. The UK version of House of flying Daggers was slightly cut for the same reason.
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by Markgway »

Horsetrips are pretty much the only reason Hong Kong/Chinese movies are ever cut now.
Image
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by grim_tales »

mike dk wrote:The great Cine Asia label will release "Shaolin" in the future, but I'm guessing it might be slightly cut due to "horsefall" scenes. The UK version of House of flying Daggers was slightly cut for the same reason.
Do you know when roughly it will be released? :)
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by grim_tales »

User avatar
luckystars
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1893
Joined: 12 Sep 2005, 08:01

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by luckystars »

grim_tales wrote:Tiger on the Beat - April 21:

http://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_deta ... ctID=11811
Wow classics coming thick and fast!

F'in region locked though.. :(
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
Image
mike dk
Jackie Chan's BIG toe
Posts: 34
Joined: 29 Nov 2006, 22:04

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by mike dk »

grim_tales wrote:
mike dk wrote:The great Cine Asia label will release "Shaolin" in the future, but I'm guessing it might be slightly cut due to "horsefall" scenes. The UK version of House of flying Daggers was slightly cut for the same reason.
Do you know when roughly it will be released? :)
I'm sorry I don't. I got the information from their facebook site. They will also release Jackie Chan's "1911" sometime in the future :rock:
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by grim_tales »

What's that? Is that a new film he's working on?
mike dk
Jackie Chan's BIG toe
Posts: 34
Joined: 29 Nov 2006, 22:04

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by mike dk »

mike dk
Jackie Chan's BIG toe
Posts: 34
Joined: 29 Nov 2006, 22:04

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by mike dk »

Cine Asia also has the distribution rights to Jackie Chan's "Drunken Master 1945" if the film gets made. Hopefully it will, but apperantly Jackie was not satisfied with the script - so changes or a new one will have to be made (can't remember where I was reading this).

http://www.jackiechanfansite.com/index. ... =5&id=3999
User avatar
luckystars
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1893
Joined: 12 Sep 2005, 08:01

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by luckystars »

mike dk wrote:Cine Asia also has the distribution rights to Jackie Chan's "Drunken Master 1945" if the film gets made. Hopefully it will, but apperantly Jackie was not satisfied with the script - so changes or a new one will have to be made (can't remember where I was reading this).

http://www.jackiechanfansite.com/index. ... =5&id=3999

Wow I forgot all about that one.

1911 looks great from the pics so far...
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
Image
User avatar
LoBo
Jackie Chan's BIG toe
Posts: 38
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 22:09
Location: Norway

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by LoBo »

The Killer will be released on 3rd May: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Killer-Blu-ray/23245/
DangerousLeeHandsome
Flirting Scholar
Posts: 313
Joined: 16 Oct 2006, 02:27
Location: California, US

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by DangerousLeeHandsome »

LoBo wrote:The Killer will be released on 3rd May: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Killer-Blu-ray/23245/
I just saw that too. Im not sure what to think exactly becuz Dragon Dynasty's BD is genuinely HD but it looks like ass and Im almost positive Kam&Ronson's BD will be upscaled. Im thinking I may get the K&R BD for atleast it will be 24p.
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by Markgway »

Oh God.
Image
mike dk
Jackie Chan's BIG toe
Posts: 34
Joined: 29 Nov 2006, 22:04

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by mike dk »

grim_tales wrote:
mike dk wrote:The great Cine Asia label will release "Shaolin" in the future, but I'm guessing it might be slightly cut due to "horsefall" scenes. The UK version of House of flying Daggers was slightly cut for the same reason.
Do you know when roughly it will be released? :)
I have asked Cine Asia about a release date for "shaolin" and the answer I got was "sometime in the second half of 2011". They are working on the release now I was told, and I'm sure it will be worth the wait as it will most likely include a ton of extras (including a Bey Logan commentary). :thumbs:
User avatar
luckystars
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1893
Joined: 12 Sep 2005, 08:01

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by luckystars »

mike dk wrote:
grim_tales wrote:
mike dk wrote:The great Cine Asia label will release "Shaolin" in the future, but I'm guessing it might be slightly cut due to "horsefall" scenes. The UK version of House of flying Daggers was slightly cut for the same reason.
Do you know when roughly it will be released? :)
I have asked Cine Asia about a release date for "shaolin" and the answer I got was "sometime in the second half of 2011". They are working on the release now I was told, and I'm sure it will be worth the wait as it will most likely include a ton of extras (including a Bey Logan commentary). :thumbs:
Smashing! :thumbs:
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
Image
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by grim_tales »

Great! :thumbs:
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by gasteropod »

Hey does anyone know how the Blu-rays (Optimum vs. Magnolia) of Mother compare? I'm not bothered about the extras, just the presentation of the film.
User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by Shingster »

I have the optimum Blu-ray and I was very underwhelmed by it, the aliasing in places is terrible! It stinks of a very sloppy upconvert. Ignore the review of any reviewer who gave the optimum BD a mark higher than a 6/10 for video.

I was underwhelmed by the film as well, but that's another matter entirely! :P
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by gasteropod »

Right, thanks a lot for that Shing I'll go for the Magnolia then.
User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by Shingster »

Sounds like the Magnolia release has the same problems gastero:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-re ... ml?___rd=1

No doubt both releases come from the same master (and we all know how fucking useless Korean distributors are for providing foreign distributors with satisfactory masters), so it'll probably be in your best interest to get whichever is cheapest (the UK release is £10 at the moment, but I'd say rent the fucker and wait for it to drop further before buying! :D)

Of course, if you've seen the film and adore it, there's always the Korean blu-ray to consider (by all reports it has a different look to the Optimum/Magnolia releases).

EDIT: Bah, saying that, this thread and screengrabs would suggest the Korean Blu-ray doesn't have a different look at all. I think it was Blu-ray.com that were saying the contrast was noticeably different on the US/UK releases, but then Blu-ray.com reviewers have a weird tendency to completely lose the feckin plot every now and then! :dontknow:
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by gasteropod »

Ahh I see, how frustrating! Cheers for the heads up. I saw a comparison on DVD Beaver of the Magnolia and the Korean release, and they did look different yeah. http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRevie ... lu-ray.htm

I hate how overpriced Korean Blu-rays are though! And nope I haven't seen the film yet, but I think Bong Joon-ho's other films are great and have otherwise only heard excellent things about this film so far!
User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by Shingster »

I put Memories of Murder in my top 5 films of the noughties when we ran a top10 article for DVDTimes, and I think The Host is a real belter that improves on every watch, but compared to those two Mother is a huge letdown. It has a threadbare narrative that manages to be both inevitably predictable and completely implausible, and where The Host and MoM used the escalation from light-hearted tragic farce to deeper and deeper drama to brilliant effect, the humour and character eccentricites in Mother just felt forced and not at all cohesive within the plotline. It's a solid character drama with excellent performances, but nowt more than that imo.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by romerojpg »

Maybe one day we will get a nice Memories of Murder Blu Ray, one day in 10 year at this rate!
RickyTheDragonSteamboat
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 265
Joined: 07 Dec 2006, 23:54

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by RickyTheDragonSteamboat »

The Killer screencaps
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Re: Asian Movies in HD!

Post by grim_tales »

Neither look great - US one has shows everyone with plasticy looking faces - whereas the detail on the HK one?!