Asian Movies in HD!
-
mike dk
- Jackie Chan's BIG toe
- Posts: 34
- Joined: 29 Nov 2006, 22:04
Re: Asian Movies in HD!
The great Cine Asia label will release "Shaolin" in the future, but I'm guessing it might be slightly cut due to "horsefall" scenes. The UK version of House of flying Daggers was slightly cut for the same reason.
-
Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
Re: Asian Movies in HD!
Horsetrips are pretty much the only reason Hong Kong/Chinese movies are ever cut now.
-
grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22166
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
Re: Asian Movies in HD!
Do you know when roughly it will be released?mike dk wrote:The great Cine Asia label will release "Shaolin" in the future, but I'm guessing it might be slightly cut due to "horsefall" scenes. The UK version of House of flying Daggers was slightly cut for the same reason.
-
grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22166
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
-
luckystars
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1893
- Joined: 12 Sep 2005, 08:01
Re: Asian Movies in HD!
Wow classics coming thick and fast!grim_tales wrote:Tiger on the Beat - April 21:
http://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_deta ... ctID=11811
F'in region locked though..
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry 


-
mike dk
- Jackie Chan's BIG toe
- Posts: 34
- Joined: 29 Nov 2006, 22:04
Re: Asian Movies in HD!
I'm sorry I don't. I got the information from their facebook site. They will also release Jackie Chan's "1911" sometime in the futuregrim_tales wrote:Do you know when roughly it will be released?mike dk wrote:The great Cine Asia label will release "Shaolin" in the future, but I'm guessing it might be slightly cut due to "horsefall" scenes. The UK version of House of flying Daggers was slightly cut for the same reason.
-
grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22166
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
Re: Asian Movies in HD!
What's that? Is that a new film he's working on?
-
mike dk
- Jackie Chan's BIG toe
- Posts: 34
- Joined: 29 Nov 2006, 22:04
-
mike dk
- Jackie Chan's BIG toe
- Posts: 34
- Joined: 29 Nov 2006, 22:04
Re: Asian Movies in HD!
Cine Asia also has the distribution rights to Jackie Chan's "Drunken Master 1945" if the film gets made. Hopefully it will, but apperantly Jackie was not satisfied with the script - so changes or a new one will have to be made (can't remember where I was reading this).
http://www.jackiechanfansite.com/index. ... =5&id=3999
http://www.jackiechanfansite.com/index. ... =5&id=3999
-
luckystars
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1893
- Joined: 12 Sep 2005, 08:01
Re: Asian Movies in HD!
mike dk wrote:Cine Asia also has the distribution rights to Jackie Chan's "Drunken Master 1945" if the film gets made. Hopefully it will, but apperantly Jackie was not satisfied with the script - so changes or a new one will have to be made (can't remember where I was reading this).
http://www.jackiechanfansite.com/index. ... =5&id=3999
Wow I forgot all about that one.
1911 looks great from the pics so far...
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry 


-
LoBo
- Jackie Chan's BIG toe
- Posts: 38
- Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 22:09
- Location: Norway
Re: Asian Movies in HD!
The Killer will be released on 3rd May: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Killer-Blu-ray/23245/
-
DangerousLeeHandsome
- Flirting Scholar
- Posts: 313
- Joined: 16 Oct 2006, 02:27
- Location: California, US
Re: Asian Movies in HD!
I just saw that too. Im not sure what to think exactly becuz Dragon Dynasty's BD is genuinely HD but it looks like ass and Im almost positive Kam&Ronson's BD will be upscaled. Im thinking I may get the K&R BD for atleast it will be 24p.LoBo wrote:The Killer will be released on 3rd May: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Killer-Blu-ray/23245/
-
Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
-
mike dk
- Jackie Chan's BIG toe
- Posts: 34
- Joined: 29 Nov 2006, 22:04
Re: Asian Movies in HD!
I have asked Cine Asia about a release date for "shaolin" and the answer I got was "sometime in the second half of 2011". They are working on the release now I was told, and I'm sure it will be worth the wait as it will most likely include a ton of extras (including a Bey Logan commentary).grim_tales wrote:Do you know when roughly it will be released?mike dk wrote:The great Cine Asia label will release "Shaolin" in the future, but I'm guessing it might be slightly cut due to "horsefall" scenes. The UK version of House of flying Daggers was slightly cut for the same reason.
-
luckystars
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1893
- Joined: 12 Sep 2005, 08:01
Re: Asian Movies in HD!
Smashing!mike dk wrote:I have asked Cine Asia about a release date for "shaolin" and the answer I got was "sometime in the second half of 2011". They are working on the release now I was told, and I'm sure it will be worth the wait as it will most likely include a ton of extras (including a Bey Logan commentary).grim_tales wrote:Do you know when roughly it will be released?mike dk wrote:The great Cine Asia label will release "Shaolin" in the future, but I'm guessing it might be slightly cut due to "horsefall" scenes. The UK version of House of flying Daggers was slightly cut for the same reason.
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry 


-
grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22166
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
Re: Asian Movies in HD!
Hey does anyone know how the Blu-rays (Optimum vs. Magnolia) of Mother compare? I'm not bothered about the extras, just the presentation of the film.
-
Shingster
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 4140
- Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14
Re: Asian Movies in HD!
I have the optimum Blu-ray and I was very underwhelmed by it, the aliasing in places is terrible! It stinks of a very sloppy upconvert. Ignore the review of any reviewer who gave the optimum BD a mark higher than a 6/10 for video.
I was underwhelmed by the film as well, but that's another matter entirely!
I was underwhelmed by the film as well, but that's another matter entirely!
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
Re: Asian Movies in HD!
Right, thanks a lot for that Shing I'll go for the Magnolia then.
-
Shingster
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 4140
- Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14
Re: Asian Movies in HD!
Sounds like the Magnolia release has the same problems gastero:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-re ... ml?___rd=1
No doubt both releases come from the same master (and we all know how fucking useless Korean distributors are for providing foreign distributors with satisfactory masters), so it'll probably be in your best interest to get whichever is cheapest (the UK release is £10 at the moment, but I'd say rent the fucker and wait for it to drop further before buying!
)
Of course, if you've seen the film and adore it, there's always the Korean blu-ray to consider (by all reports it has a different look to the Optimum/Magnolia releases).
EDIT: Bah, saying that, this thread and screengrabs would suggest the Korean Blu-ray doesn't have a different look at all. I think it was Blu-ray.com that were saying the contrast was noticeably different on the US/UK releases, but then Blu-ray.com reviewers have a weird tendency to completely lose the feckin plot every now and then!
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-re ... ml?___rd=1
No doubt both releases come from the same master (and we all know how fucking useless Korean distributors are for providing foreign distributors with satisfactory masters), so it'll probably be in your best interest to get whichever is cheapest (the UK release is £10 at the moment, but I'd say rent the fucker and wait for it to drop further before buying!
Of course, if you've seen the film and adore it, there's always the Korean blu-ray to consider (by all reports it has a different look to the Optimum/Magnolia releases).
EDIT: Bah, saying that, this thread and screengrabs would suggest the Korean Blu-ray doesn't have a different look at all. I think it was Blu-ray.com that were saying the contrast was noticeably different on the US/UK releases, but then Blu-ray.com reviewers have a weird tendency to completely lose the feckin plot every now and then!
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
Re: Asian Movies in HD!
Ahh I see, how frustrating! Cheers for the heads up. I saw a comparison on DVD Beaver of the Magnolia and the Korean release, and they did look different yeah. http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRevie ... lu-ray.htm
I hate how overpriced Korean Blu-rays are though! And nope I haven't seen the film yet, but I think Bong Joon-ho's other films are great and have otherwise only heard excellent things about this film so far!
I hate how overpriced Korean Blu-rays are though! And nope I haven't seen the film yet, but I think Bong Joon-ho's other films are great and have otherwise only heard excellent things about this film so far!
-
Shingster
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 4140
- Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14
Re: Asian Movies in HD!
I put Memories of Murder in my top 5 films of the noughties when we ran a top10 article for DVDTimes, and I think The Host is a real belter that improves on every watch, but compared to those two Mother is a huge letdown. It has a threadbare narrative that manages to be both inevitably predictable and completely implausible, and where The Host and MoM used the escalation from light-hearted tragic farce to deeper and deeper drama to brilliant effect, the humour and character eccentricites in Mother just felt forced and not at all cohesive within the plotline. It's a solid character drama with excellent performances, but nowt more than that imo.
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
Re: Asian Movies in HD!
Maybe one day we will get a nice Memories of Murder Blu Ray, one day in 10 year at this rate!
-
RickyTheDragonSteamboat
- Pedicab Driver
- Posts: 265
- Joined: 07 Dec 2006, 23:54
Re: Asian Movies in HD!
The Killer screencaps
-
grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22166
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
Re: Asian Movies in HD!
Neither look great - US one has shows everyone with plasticy looking faces - whereas the detail on the HK one?!
