What Have You Just Seen... Marks Out of 5

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

I wasn't talking about that song (if you mean the Cranberries cover) - I'm not a fan of it though in either version. (Its' EXACTLY THE SAME as the original, so whats the point?)
You can't go wrong with Faye Wong dressed as an airhostess though ;)
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

grim_tales wrote: You can't go wrong with Faye Wong dressed as an airhostess though ;)
Well I can. She's too anorexic and IMHO fairly ugly. Brigette Lin and Tony Leung character's ex-girlfriend on the other hand, PHWOAR.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Don't like Brigitte Lin (certainly not in the blonde wig) but I wouldn't say no to Valerie Chow ;)
Faye looks better IMO with longer hair rather than the boyish haircut she has in the film.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

BTW I thought the R1 transfer and subtitles were fine :)
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

grim_tales wrote:BTW I thought the R1 transfer and subtitles were fine :)
Still, the R2 is better. Plus you don't get all that Tarrantino bullshit.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Well the R1 was cheaper so I bought that (not paying £15 for the R2) :)
While he was enthusiastic, Quentin did annoy me after a bit :D What the feck is the "Switchblade Sisters" film he was on about? Seemed like some camp 70's exploitation film to me.
Of course his Rolling Thunder label do NOT have "Fist of Legend" but Miramax do.
At least the Tarantino stuff is optional.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Funny I seem to be watching more movies lately :D It must be said I've enjoyed the films A LOT more as I've watched them in 1 sitting and not "bits".
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

Yeah, I'd take Valerie over Faye.

But Brigitte at her best is luvverly.... :D
Image
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

I just thought she (Brigitte Lin) wasn't at her best in CKE, so I wouldn't take her. :)
Mark did you like CKE (I presume you've seen it?) I think its the most accessible of the WKW movies I have seen :)
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Hey,
I may be wrong but doesnt the R2 have the original reference to Bruce Willis and Demi Moore in the subtitles where the R1 just talks about a "Japanese star"?
I thought the translation was fine though, its just I was so used to the old ICA translation.
User avatar
brooce-leroy
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1279
Joined: 28 Dec 2004, 14:52

Post by brooce-leroy »

Divergence 3/5

A fairly intriguing film that is let down by too many plot strands (trying to be really clever), and a weak ending (and crap twist). Not many people have a lot of time for Aaron Kwok, but I liked his performance in this. Daniel Wu is also uncharacteristically charasmatic also. As a lawyer, to paraphrase Love HKfilm, Ekin Cheng lets his designer glasses and suit do his acting. :-D

Supersize Me 3/5

Suddenly, Big Macs are not so appealing.
"We do not train to be merciful. Mercy is for the weak. A man confronts you, he is the enemy. The enemy deserves no mercy."
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

I've never watched SUPER SIZE ME largely because the premise seemed enormously stupid.

Eating nothing but McDonalds for a month will be detrimental to your health... well fucking duh! :roll:
Image
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

Post by thelostdragon »

Hotel Rwanda - 4.5/5
Meant to have checked this one out at the theatre, but am happy I watched it on my own on DVD. It's very good the subject of the war in Ruanda is being made a movie of. On the other hand however there are still unbelievably lots of people who never even heard of a place called Ruanda and that about 1.000.000 people were killed there in 1994.

Don Cheadle is my hero.
Last edited by thelostdragon on 07 Feb 2006, 01:49, edited 2 times in total.
Image
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

grim_tales wrote:I just thought she (Brigitte Lin) wasn't at her best in CKE, so I wouldn't take her. :)
Fine, shove her my way fussy bugger. :D
Mark did you like CKE (I presume you've seen it?) I think its the most accessible of the WKW movies I have seen :)
It was good, but uneven. Stylish, but not a lot of substance as usual. Days of Being Wild and In the Mood for Love are considerably better films (and the only two WKW works I can be bothered with).
Image
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

In The Mood For Love is excellent yes. Havent seen DOBW though - will check it out.
CKE is a simple story (well, stories ;) ) but its' told very well :) Maybe I love the film because I identify with it :)
I'd take Airhostess Faye, but not Faye from earlier in the film :)
User avatar
brooce-leroy
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1279
Joined: 28 Dec 2004, 14:52

Post by brooce-leroy »

Markgway wrote:I've never watched SUPER SIZE ME largely because the premise seemed enormously stupid.

Eating nothing but McDonalds for a month will be detrimental to your health... well fucking duh! :roll:

Yeah, but it isn't only about that. The experiment is extreme and is obviously bad, but the thing is that there are people who are very close to eating fast food for every meal of the day. It's just a short term way of showing the effects of an unhealthy diet (same results when you eat the stuff frequently over a long term period). For example, there was a lad of about 20 (it was in the news recently) who would only ever eat burgers or kebabs daily and died because of it.

As I said, the documentary doesn't just focus on the 30 day McDs binge diet. It also features interviews with various doctors/experts about the state of Americans with regards to their eating habits, and also about the way McDonalds operates. It was quite interesting.
"We do not train to be merciful. Mercy is for the weak. A man confronts you, he is the enemy. The enemy deserves no mercy."
User avatar
brooce-leroy
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1279
Joined: 28 Dec 2004, 14:52

Post by brooce-leroy »

The Exorcism of Emily Rose 4/5

A gripping courtroom drama and a scary horror story. What more could you want? Tom Wilkinson and Laura Linney excel as priest and lawyer respectively.
"We do not train to be merciful. Mercy is for the weak. A man confronts you, he is the enemy. The enemy deserves no mercy."
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Batman Begins - 4-4.5/5

Excellent dark superhero film. Christian Bale IS Batman and excels in the role IMO 8) Great atmosphere. I didnt know much of Batman's story so some of this was new to me.
Michael Caine was also very good as the butler Alfred.
The 5.1 track on the DVD is one of the best I've ever heard :D
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

grim_tales wrote:Batman Begins - 4-4.5/5

Excellent dark superhero film. Christian Bale IS Batman and excels in the role IMO 8) Great atmosphere. I didnt know much of Batman's story so some of this was new to me.
Michael Caine was also very good as the butler Alfred.
The 5.1 track on the DVD is one of the best I've ever heard :D
I love that film. But as for the Batman story, well they made all that training stuff up for the film, because in the comics it just said he was absent for a 7-year period or however long it was.
User avatar
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4727
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 21:33
Location: Scotland

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Markgway wrote:I've never watched SUPER SIZE ME largely because the premise seemed enormously stupid.

Eating nothing but McDonalds for a month will be detrimental to your health... well fucking duh! :roll:
As Bruce said, it's not just about that experiment. It's a really good analysis of America's multi-million dollar fast food industry. I'd urge you to check it out - it's not globally acclaimed for nothing.
Image
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

Ooh, global acclaim!!!

Remains unpersauded. 8)
Image
User avatar
brooce-leroy
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1279
Joined: 28 Dec 2004, 14:52

Post by brooce-leroy »

**** you then. :roll:

8) :wink:
"We do not train to be merciful. Mercy is for the weak. A man confronts you, he is the enemy. The enemy deserves no mercy."
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

Post by thelostdragon »

gasteropod wrote:I love that film. But as for the Batman story, well they made all that training stuff up for the film, because in the comics it just said he was absent for a 7-year period or however long it was.
Loved the film, too. Gave it 4.5/5. The deduction of the half point was for the badly ahot and edited fight sequences.
As for the training... hmmm... I have read Frank Miller's "Batman - Year One" and as far as I remember, it had moments where Bruce Wayne was training.

Munich - 2.5/5
Booooring... the only good actors in this were the terrorists and their hostages and even some of their scenes were oddly shot. Oh, and the Mossad bombs expert guy performed well. I expected more from Eric Bana.
The film might be a fictional story based on real events, but neither was the story interesting (in my opinion), nor was it convincing and it also didn't tell us anything new about Mossad or any other operating secret service.
At one point I was really irritated. When Eric Bana and his last colleague, the last one left, go to assassinate one of the Arabs on the list, they enter the garden at night and Eric Bana aims with the sniper rifle. What the fuck? Wasn't he an amateur whom they had sent in? And after a few explosions he started acting like a trained S.W.A.T. unit.
Image
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

I agree about the fight sequences in Batman LD - but then I wasnt really expecting HK quality martial arts in a film like this ;)
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Whether you like Faye's music or not (and IMO she's done considerably better songs than the join the dots Cranberries cover), for my money she was perfectly cast in CKE as the perky obsessed waitress. :)