You can't go wrong with Faye Wong dressed as an airhostess though
What Have You Just Seen... Marks Out of 5
-
grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22165
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
-
grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22165
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
Well the R1 was cheaper so I bought that (not paying £15 for the R2) 
While he was enthusiastic, Quentin did annoy me after a bit
What the feck is the "Switchblade Sisters" film he was on about? Seemed like some camp 70's exploitation film to me.
Of course his Rolling Thunder label do NOT have "Fist of Legend" but Miramax do.
At least the Tarantino stuff is optional.
While he was enthusiastic, Quentin did annoy me after a bit
Of course his Rolling Thunder label do NOT have "Fist of Legend" but Miramax do.
At least the Tarantino stuff is optional.
-
Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
-
grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22165
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
-
brooce-leroy
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1279
- Joined: 28 Dec 2004, 14:52
Divergence 3/5
A fairly intriguing film that is let down by too many plot strands (trying to be really clever), and a weak ending (and crap twist). Not many people have a lot of time for Aaron Kwok, but I liked his performance in this. Daniel Wu is also uncharacteristically charasmatic also. As a lawyer, to paraphrase Love HKfilm, Ekin Cheng lets his designer glasses and suit do his acting. :-D
Supersize Me 3/5
Suddenly, Big Macs are not so appealing.
A fairly intriguing film that is let down by too many plot strands (trying to be really clever), and a weak ending (and crap twist). Not many people have a lot of time for Aaron Kwok, but I liked his performance in this. Daniel Wu is also uncharacteristically charasmatic also. As a lawyer, to paraphrase Love HKfilm, Ekin Cheng lets his designer glasses and suit do his acting. :-D
Supersize Me 3/5
Suddenly, Big Macs are not so appealing.
"We do not train to be merciful. Mercy is for the weak. A man confronts you, he is the enemy. The enemy deserves no mercy."
-
Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
-
thelostdragon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 7059
- Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
- Location: Basin City
Hotel Rwanda - 4.5/5
Meant to have checked this one out at the theatre, but am happy I watched it on my own on DVD. It's very good the subject of the war in Ruanda is being made a movie of. On the other hand however there are still unbelievably lots of people who never even heard of a place called Ruanda and that about 1.000.000 people were killed there in 1994.
Don Cheadle is my hero.
Meant to have checked this one out at the theatre, but am happy I watched it on my own on DVD. It's very good the subject of the war in Ruanda is being made a movie of. On the other hand however there are still unbelievably lots of people who never even heard of a place called Ruanda and that about 1.000.000 people were killed there in 1994.
Don Cheadle is my hero.
Last edited by thelostdragon on 07 Feb 2006, 01:49, edited 2 times in total.
-
Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
Fine, shove her my way fussy bugger.grim_tales wrote:I just thought she (Brigitte Lin) wasn't at her best in CKE, so I wouldn't take her.
It was good, but uneven. Stylish, but not a lot of substance as usual. Days of Being Wild and In the Mood for Love are considerably better films (and the only two WKW works I can be bothered with).Mark did you like CKE (I presume you've seen it?) I think its the most accessible of the WKW movies I have seen
-
grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22165
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
-
brooce-leroy
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1279
- Joined: 28 Dec 2004, 14:52
Markgway wrote:I've never watched SUPER SIZE ME largely because the premise seemed enormously stupid.
Eating nothing but McDonalds for a month will be detrimental to your health... well fucking duh!
Yeah, but it isn't only about that. The experiment is extreme and is obviously bad, but the thing is that there are people who are very close to eating fast food for every meal of the day. It's just a short term way of showing the effects of an unhealthy diet (same results when you eat the stuff frequently over a long term period). For example, there was a lad of about 20 (it was in the news recently) who would only ever eat burgers or kebabs daily and died because of it.
As I said, the documentary doesn't just focus on the 30 day McDs binge diet. It also features interviews with various doctors/experts about the state of Americans with regards to their eating habits, and also about the way McDonalds operates. It was quite interesting.
"We do not train to be merciful. Mercy is for the weak. A man confronts you, he is the enemy. The enemy deserves no mercy."
-
brooce-leroy
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1279
- Joined: 28 Dec 2004, 14:52
The Exorcism of Emily Rose 4/5
A gripping courtroom drama and a scary horror story. What more could you want? Tom Wilkinson and Laura Linney excel as priest and lawyer respectively.
A gripping courtroom drama and a scary horror story. What more could you want? Tom Wilkinson and Laura Linney excel as priest and lawyer respectively.
"We do not train to be merciful. Mercy is for the weak. A man confronts you, he is the enemy. The enemy deserves no mercy."
-
grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22165
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
Batman Begins - 4-4.5/5
Excellent dark superhero film. Christian Bale IS Batman and excels in the role IMO 8) Great atmosphere. I didnt know much of Batman's story so some of this was new to me.
Michael Caine was also very good as the butler Alfred.
The 5.1 track on the DVD is one of the best I've ever heard
Excellent dark superhero film. Christian Bale IS Batman and excels in the role IMO 8) Great atmosphere. I didnt know much of Batman's story so some of this was new to me.
Michael Caine was also very good as the butler Alfred.
The 5.1 track on the DVD is one of the best I've ever heard
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
I love that film. But as for the Batman story, well they made all that training stuff up for the film, because in the comics it just said he was absent for a 7-year period or however long it was.grim_tales wrote:Batman Begins - 4-4.5/5
Excellent dark superhero film. Christian Bale IS Batman and excels in the role IMO 8) Great atmosphere. I didnt know much of Batman's story so some of this was new to me.
Michael Caine was also very good as the butler Alfred.
The 5.1 track on the DVD is one of the best I've ever heard
-
BiscLimpkit
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 4727
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 21:33
- Location: Scotland
As Bruce said, it's not just about that experiment. It's a really good analysis of America's multi-million dollar fast food industry. I'd urge you to check it out - it's not globally acclaimed for nothing.Markgway wrote:I've never watched SUPER SIZE ME largely because the premise seemed enormously stupid.
Eating nothing but McDonalds for a month will be detrimental to your health... well fucking duh!

-
Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
-
brooce-leroy
- Royal Tramp
- Posts: 1279
- Joined: 28 Dec 2004, 14:52
-
thelostdragon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 7059
- Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
- Location: Basin City
Loved the film, too. Gave it 4.5/5. The deduction of the half point was for the badly ahot and edited fight sequences.gasteropod wrote:I love that film. But as for the Batman story, well they made all that training stuff up for the film, because in the comics it just said he was absent for a 7-year period or however long it was.
As for the training... hmmm... I have read Frank Miller's "Batman - Year One" and as far as I remember, it had moments where Bruce Wayne was training.
Munich - 2.5/5
Booooring... the only good actors in this were the terrorists and their hostages and even some of their scenes were oddly shot. Oh, and the Mossad bombs expert guy performed well. I expected more from Eric Bana.
The film might be a fictional story based on real events, but neither was the story interesting (in my opinion), nor was it convincing and it also didn't tell us anything new about Mossad or any other operating secret service.
At one point I was really irritated. When Eric Bana and his last colleague, the last one left, go to assassinate one of the Arabs on the list, they enter the garden at night and Eric Bana aims with the sniper rifle. What the fuck? Wasn't he an amateur whom they had sent in? And after a few explosions he started acting like a trained S.W.A.T. unit.

