But he ain't alive!
What Have You Just Seen... Marks Out of 5
-
thelostdragon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 7059
- Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
- Location: Basin City
-
Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
-
thelostdragon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 7059
- Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
- Location: Basin City
-
grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22164
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
Born To Fight
Story - 2.5/5
Action - 4.5/5
Overall - 3.5/5
This film reminded me a bit of Ong-Bak (traditional fighting used in the film) and Bang Rajan (little village defending itself against invaders). Though the story is a good human story it is quite a simple story IMO. Some of the scenes I found really touching and/or harrowing, and the action and stunts are fantastic 8) All the main characters in the film are played by famous Thai athletes. I loved the keepy-uppy guy and the Thai national striker.
However, this isnt the action itself per se but I found the use of techno/rock on the soundtrack distracting as if I was watching a video game
This dehumanises the film (does that make sense?)
Story - 2.5/5
Action - 4.5/5
Overall - 3.5/5
This film reminded me a bit of Ong-Bak (traditional fighting used in the film) and Bang Rajan (little village defending itself against invaders). Though the story is a good human story it is quite a simple story IMO. Some of the scenes I found really touching and/or harrowing, and the action and stunts are fantastic 8) All the main characters in the film are played by famous Thai athletes. I loved the keepy-uppy guy and the Thai national striker.
However, this isnt the action itself per se but I found the use of techno/rock on the soundtrack distracting as if I was watching a video game
-
Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
-
grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22164
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
Hard Target - 4/5
Really liked this!
TBH I can't remember seeing this version
There are some fantastic action set pieces in this film (loved the one where JCVD blows up the jeep while standing on a motorbike!) and Van Damme is a likeable hero, there are some great quotes.
"He's all ears"
"Hunting season... is over"
(JCVD headbutts Lance Henriksen).
Haha brilliant
Really liked this!
"He's all ears"
"Hunting season... is over"
(JCVD headbutts Lance Henriksen).
Haha brilliant
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
-
Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
-
grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22164
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
-
BiscLimpkit
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 4727
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 21:33
- Location: Scotland
Walk the Line 4/5
Aye it's decent as far as biopics go, although I'm not hugely familar with Johnny Cash. In fact, I had only heard about him for the first time in 2003. It was an interesting story and the lead performances were fantastic. I did prefer Ray however.
Both Witherspoon and Phoenix can sing really well. Witherspoon's got quite a voice.
Also, Ginnifer Goodwin looks ridiculously cute in this film. Too gorgeous.
Aye it's decent as far as biopics go, although I'm not hugely familar with Johnny Cash. In fact, I had only heard about him for the first time in 2003. It was an interesting story and the lead performances were fantastic. I did prefer Ray however.
Both Witherspoon and Phoenix can sing really well. Witherspoon's got quite a voice.
Also, Ginnifer Goodwin looks ridiculously cute in this film. Too gorgeous.

-
thelostdragon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 7059
- Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
- Location: Basin City
Who Am I? - 4/5
Have watched this so often, but not during the last 2 or 3 years, but I'm still amazed by it. The title credits say, 'Directed, action-directed and screenplay by Jackie Chan'. They didn't write from whom the original idea was though. It came from Benny Chan who told Jackie about the story. Jackie told Sammo, who made "OUATIC6" out of it (for which he later apologised to Jackie) and Jackie made "Who AM I?". Benny Chan wasn't happy with Jackie's version so he told Teddy CHan about it who made "Purple Storm".
LOL, I am talking about trivia here although I want to point out why I like "Who Am I?" so much. I agree with people who say that it has a long beginning and that JC action kicks in only after almost an hour. However, Jackie does a great acting job throughout this hour and also for the rest of the film. The film also has great editing and a good soundtrack (the good songs are not on the OST, grrrr) and it is probably the film that features JC's last huge-ass stunt wonder. Good outtakes are present as well.
Have watched this so often, but not during the last 2 or 3 years, but I'm still amazed by it. The title credits say, 'Directed, action-directed and screenplay by Jackie Chan'. They didn't write from whom the original idea was though. It came from Benny Chan who told Jackie about the story. Jackie told Sammo, who made "OUATIC6" out of it (for which he later apologised to Jackie) and Jackie made "Who AM I?". Benny Chan wasn't happy with Jackie's version so he told Teddy CHan about it who made "Purple Storm".
LOL, I am talking about trivia here although I want to point out why I like "Who Am I?" so much. I agree with people who say that it has a long beginning and that JC action kicks in only after almost an hour. However, Jackie does a great acting job throughout this hour and also for the rest of the film. The film also has great editing and a good soundtrack (the good songs are not on the OST, grrrr) and it is probably the film that features JC's last huge-ass stunt wonder. Good outtakes are present as well.
-
Markgway
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 20194
- Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04
Yes, it's excellent. One of my top ten American action movies. John Woo will never make a movie this exciting or stylish again.Mark did you like Hard Target?
Tricky. Put it this way. Woo never got to do "a director's cut" but the 95m edit is the longest official version. The workprint is just that and the film would never have reached theatres in that fashion. It's just "a fun cut" for fans. For me the 95m edit is superior. Now if Universal would just reissue it anamorphic everything would be fine.It would be interesting to see the 116m version but that is really a workprint, and the 95m version is Woo's preferred cut, no? (Much like the shorter HK version of The Killer being his DC).
-
grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22164
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
I was surprised how much I enjoyed it even though I'm very familliar with Woo's HK classics. The film doesn't try to be something it isn't, lacking the cloying sentimentality of say, Face/Off. Its' got great set pieces and one liners - like the great Arnie films which don't get made in American action cinema anymore - something like "Hasta la vista baby!" - *BOOOOM!* 
Top stuff.
Top stuff.
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland
-
grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22164
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
Ong Bak
Story: 2.5/5
Action: 5/5
Overall: 3.5/5
Like Born To Fight, this suffers from a weak story. However, the action is awesome
- very realistic and painful looking. I also felt much more for the characters than I did in "Born To Fight".
I thought the new PA score suited the film TBH and couldn't see a problem with it. The DTS track was very good.
Story: 2.5/5
Action: 5/5
Overall: 3.5/5
Like Born To Fight, this suffers from a weak story. However, the action is awesome
I thought the new PA score suited the film TBH and couldn't see a problem with it. The DTS track was very good.
-
BiscLimpkit
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 4727
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 21:33
- Location: Scotland
I said, "in the film."EvaUnit02 wrote:Christ, the nerdy girl from the series Ed?! Are you serious?BiscLimpkit wrote:Also, Ginnifer Goodwin looks ridiculously cute in this film. Too gorgeous.
I've checked her photos from elsewhere and she doesn't look nearly as cute as she does in Walk the Line. The 50's look suits her.

-
BiscLimpkit
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 4727
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 21:33
- Location: Scotland
Heroic Ones 3.5/5
Aye decent enough Shaws flick (my second to date) although I prefer Five Venoms. Quite horrific in the violence department but I love the unnaturally bright red blood. The choreography isn't as polished as I expected but was satisfactory.
Aye does anyone know who plays Miss Yin? i.e. the woman who provided shelter whilst the 13 generals stormed the castle?
Aye decent enough Shaws flick (my second to date) although I prefer Five Venoms. Quite horrific in the violence department but I love the unnaturally bright red blood. The choreography isn't as polished as I expected but was satisfactory.
Aye does anyone know who plays Miss Yin? i.e. the woman who provided shelter whilst the 13 generals stormed the castle?

-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
Was my 1st Shaw Brother film, and a great introduction tooBiscLimpkit wrote:Heroic Ones 3.5/5
Aye decent enough Shaws flick (my second to date) although I prefer Five Venoms. Quite horrific in the violence department but I love the unnaturally bright red blood. The choreography isn't as polished as I expected but was satisfactory.
Aye does anyone know who plays Miss Yin? i.e. the woman who provided shelter whilst the 13 generals stormed the castle?
-
BiscLimpkit
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 4727
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 21:33
- Location: Scotland
-
tom2681
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 5577
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 15:18
- Location: Where you'll never find me
Here's a list of all the main actors:Bisc wrote: does anyone know who plays Miss Yin?
http://www.cinemasie.com/fr/hk/fiche/oeuvre/heroicones/
Maybe it's Lily Li (I haven't seen the film).
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
-
BiscLimpkit
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 4727
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 21:33
- Location: Scotland
Cheers that's her. I like her name. She's a stunner.Tom2681 wrote:Here's a list of all the main actors:Bisc wrote: does anyone know who plays Miss Yin?
http://www.cinemasie.com/fr/hk/fiche/oeuvre/heroicones/
Maybe it's Lily Li (I haven't seen the film).

-
grim_tales
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 22164
- Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
- Location: St. Albans, UK
-
EvaUnit02
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9150
- Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
- Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

