What Have You Just Seen... Marks Out of 5

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

Post by thelostdragon »

Yes, I'd do if he asked me! But only under the condition that he'd teach me to improve my martial art skills.

But he ain't alive! :cry:

:D
Image
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

I don't think I wanna learn Kung Fu that bad... but hey, to each his own... :wink:
Image
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

Post by thelostdragon »

I'm wasn't talking specifically of Kung Fu. I was talking of martial arts! Jeet Kune Do rather! See? Now you understand that, you'd do the same, wouldn't you.
Image
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Born To Fight

Story - 2.5/5
Action - 4.5/5
Overall - 3.5/5

This film reminded me a bit of Ong-Bak (traditional fighting used in the film) and Bang Rajan (little village defending itself against invaders). Though the story is a good human story it is quite a simple story IMO. Some of the scenes I found really touching and/or harrowing, and the action and stunts are fantastic 8) All the main characters in the film are played by famous Thai athletes. I loved the keepy-uppy guy and the Thai national striker. :D
However, this isnt the action itself per se but I found the use of techno/rock on the soundtrack distracting as if I was watching a video game :? This dehumanises the film (does that make sense?)
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

thelostdragon wrote:I'm wasn't talking specifically of Kung Fu. I was talking of martial arts! Jeet Kune Do rather! See? Now you understand that, you'd do the same, wouldn't you.
No, you poof! :D
Image
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Hard Target - 4/5

Really liked this! :D TBH I can't remember seeing this version :wink: There are some fantastic action set pieces in this film (loved the one where JCVD blows up the jeep while standing on a motorbike!) and Van Damme is a likeable hero, there are some great quotes.

"He's all ears" :D

"Hunting season... is over"
(JCVD headbutts Lance Henriksen).
Haha brilliant :D
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

BTW, the budget UK DVD I have (which runs about 95 minutes) is the European version right? :)
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

Yes, its uncut so to say :) which is nice. Unlike the america version.
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

Yeah, the R-rated verison would be 92m, like the old rental VHS.
Image
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

My DVD is definitely longer than that. The back cover states 95m.
Mark did you like Hard Target?
It would be interesting to see the 116m version but that is really a workprint, and the 95m version is Woo's preferred cut, no? (Much like the shorter HK version of The Killer being his DC).
User avatar
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4727
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 21:33
Location: Scotland

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Walk the Line 4/5

Aye it's decent as far as biopics go, although I'm not hugely familar with Johnny Cash. In fact, I had only heard about him for the first time in 2003. It was an interesting story and the lead performances were fantastic. I did prefer Ray however.

Both Witherspoon and Phoenix can sing really well. Witherspoon's got quite a voice.

Also, Ginnifer Goodwin looks ridiculously cute in this film. Too gorgeous.
Image
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

Post by thelostdragon »

Who Am I? - 4/5
Have watched this so often, but not during the last 2 or 3 years, but I'm still amazed by it. The title credits say, 'Directed, action-directed and screenplay by Jackie Chan'. They didn't write from whom the original idea was though. It came from Benny Chan who told Jackie about the story. Jackie told Sammo, who made "OUATIC6" out of it (for which he later apologised to Jackie) and Jackie made "Who AM I?". Benny Chan wasn't happy with Jackie's version so he told Teddy CHan about it who made "Purple Storm".
LOL, I am talking about trivia here although I want to point out why I like "Who Am I?" so much. I agree with people who say that it has a long beginning and that JC action kicks in only after almost an hour. However, Jackie does a great acting job throughout this hour and also for the rest of the film. The film also has great editing and a good soundtrack (the good songs are not on the OST, grrrr) and it is probably the film that features JC's last huge-ass stunt wonder. Good outtakes are present as well.
Image
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

Mark did you like Hard Target?
Yes, it's excellent. One of my top ten American action movies. John Woo will never make a movie this exciting or stylish again.
It would be interesting to see the 116m version but that is really a workprint, and the 95m version is Woo's preferred cut, no? (Much like the shorter HK version of The Killer being his DC).
Tricky. Put it this way. Woo never got to do "a director's cut" but the 95m edit is the longest official version. The workprint is just that and the film would never have reached theatres in that fashion. It's just "a fun cut" for fans. For me the 95m edit is superior. Now if Universal would just reissue it anamorphic everything would be fine.
Image
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

I was surprised how much I enjoyed it even though I'm very familliar with Woo's HK classics. The film doesn't try to be something it isn't, lacking the cloying sentimentality of say, Face/Off. Its' got great set pieces and one liners - like the great Arnie films which don't get made in American action cinema anymore - something like "Hasta la vista baby!" - *BOOOOM!* :D

Top stuff.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

BiscLimpkit wrote:Also, Ginnifer Goodwin looks ridiculously cute in this film. Too gorgeous.
Christ, the nerdy girl from the series Ed?! Are you serious?
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Ong Bak

Story: 2.5/5
Action: 5/5
Overall: 3.5/5

Like Born To Fight, this suffers from a weak story. However, the action is awesome :notworthy: - very realistic and painful looking. I also felt much more for the characters than I did in "Born To Fight".
I thought the new PA score suited the film TBH and couldn't see a problem with it. The DTS track was very good.
User avatar
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4727
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 21:33
Location: Scotland

Post by BiscLimpkit »

EvaUnit02 wrote:
BiscLimpkit wrote:Also, Ginnifer Goodwin looks ridiculously cute in this film. Too gorgeous.
Christ, the nerdy girl from the series Ed?! Are you serious?
I said, "in the film."

I've checked her photos from elsewhere and she doesn't look nearly as cute as she does in Walk the Line. The 50's look suits her.
Image
User avatar
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4727
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 21:33
Location: Scotland

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Heroic Ones 3.5/5

Aye decent enough Shaws flick (my second to date) although I prefer Five Venoms. Quite horrific in the violence department but I love the unnaturally bright red blood. The choreography isn't as polished as I expected but was satisfactory.

Aye does anyone know who plays Miss Yin? i.e. the woman who provided shelter whilst the 13 generals stormed the castle?
Image
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8520
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA

Post by romerojpg »

BiscLimpkit wrote:Heroic Ones 3.5/5

Aye decent enough Shaws flick (my second to date) although I prefer Five Venoms. Quite horrific in the violence department but I love the unnaturally bright red blood. The choreography isn't as polished as I expected but was satisfactory.

Aye does anyone know who plays Miss Yin? i.e. the woman who provided shelter whilst the 13 generals stormed the castle?
Was my 1st Shaw Brother film, and a great introduction too :) its a great film with massive battles, what more can you ask for :D still you need to see some of the really superb ones, then you will want a lot more.
User avatar
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4727
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 21:33
Location: Scotland

Post by BiscLimpkit »

The battles were mental for sure. One bloke taking on like 500 soldiers... can't beat that like.
Image
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 5577
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 15:18
Location: Where you'll never find me

Post by tom2681 »

Bisc wrote: does anyone know who plays Miss Yin?
Here's a list of all the main actors:
http://www.cinemasie.com/fr/hk/fiche/oeuvre/heroicones/

Maybe it's Lily Li (I haven't seen the film).
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

day of the dead 2: contagium 1/5

bloody diabolical zombie movie-has to be seen to be believed :?

trespass 3/5

entertaining walter hill actioner with bill paxton.
working class blu-ray fan
User avatar
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4727
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 21:33
Location: Scotland

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Tom2681 wrote:
Bisc wrote: does anyone know who plays Miss Yin?
Here's a list of all the main actors:
http://www.cinemasie.com/fr/hk/fiche/oeuvre/heroicones/

Maybe it's Lily Li (I haven't seen the film).
Cheers that's her. I like her name. She's a stunner.
Image
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Chungking Express - 4.5/5

Excellent film. Quirky characters, great performances amd also memorable use of music from WKW. California Dreamin' is a classic song BUT it is played to saturation in the film.
The film is funny but also sad sometimes (does that make sense?)
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

The Faye Wong theme song I thought was horrendous.