Holy Sh*t Play have killed off HKL's website! ;-)

China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Thailand, etc
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 5577
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 15:18
Location: Where you'll never find me

Post by tom2681 »

It still looks like it was made by an epileptic 4-year old, but it's an improvement over the last one. :lol:
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

I agree Tom :lol:
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

They should just send me some high-res stuff, and I'll make them a fucking cover.

This one looks horrible as well.

The artwork for recent HKL/PA stuff has really gone downhill.
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

It reminds me of the Winners and Sinners cover.
That looked shite too.
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

I think it's worse...
Image
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

What you think the W&S cover was worse or this KoB one is worse?
Its too small, I cant really see it.
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

I think the NEW KOB is worse than the OLD one....
Image
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

OK :D
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

Post by thelostdragon »

Newsletter:
Latest News

A big thank you to everyone who showed an interest in our job vacancies, a new Product Manager starts with us in the next couple of weeks!

Initial D – Drift Racer, is the long-awaited live action film of the international Manga. Directed by Infernal Affairs duo Andy Lau and Alan Mak, the film will be enjoying a limited cinema release in the Spring.

The film features some of the best drift driving sequences ever committed film and overtakes the likes of The Fast and Furious with its lack of CGI and blue screen technology – this driving is for real!

Other projects we’ll be updating you on shortly are Big Boss, as it gets the HKL Platinum Edition treatment, and our plans for John Woo’s action-fest Heroes Shed No Tears.

Watch this space!
Don't they actualy mean "Initial D" one of the worst HK movies ever commited to film?


"She Shoots Straight" has a cool cover art:

Image

OK, the definite evidence that Brian is gone is that one of the DVD's features is the "Battling Babes Featurette".
DVD Extras:
• Featuring Sammo Hung
• Hong Kong Heroine's Gallery
• Battling Babes Featurette
• Interview with Sammo Hung
Image
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Why does the "Battling Babes" feature mean Brian is gone? :?
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

Post by thelostdragon »

Because it's one of the very first DVD extras they ever produced. Seeing that they are re-using it is something I wouldn't have expected from Brian to be honest. He and his staff came up with new stuff most oftenly.
Image
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Ah :D
What DVD was it on?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Police Assassins (Yes Madam) I think.

Yeah it's a sorry new trend I've noticed the severe lack of new extras. It used to be common place for HKL to create new extras, not anymore.

Is "She shoots straight" decent then? When's it due?

p.s - Since when was it called? "Initial D – Drift Racer"
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Yeah I thought it was just Initial D.

New HKL DVDs seem severely lacking in extras now Bey is gone. I mean on SSS - just 1 interview and a bloody photo gallery?! :? I even felt most of the extras on Fist of Fury PE could have fitted on 1 disc (maybe).
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!
Posts: 2380
Joined: 16 Mar 2005, 23:05

Post by Killer Meteor »

I think it'd be better if they went through the GH back catalogue and released films that you can't get on DVD. Hapkido is a start so why not Lady Whirlwind, Opium Trail, Man From Hong Kong, One Armed Boxer, The Chase, When Tae Kwon Do Strikes etc. These titles are high in demand from collectors worldwide and would sell well without needing loads of extras. Let's face it, without Bey's commentaries, people won't be as willing to double dip so I think films new to decent DVDs would be a good idea. And why do they keep licencing new crap films?
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

grim_tales wrote:New HKL DVDs seem severely lacking in extras now Bey is gone. I mean on SSS - just 1 interview and a bloody photo gallery?! :?
I count two more than you do.
grim_tales wrote:I even felt most of the extras on Fist of Fury PE could have fitted on 1 disc (maybe).
I didn't.

Bring back the days when HKL gave us hour long features such as the one on Project A.
Ivan Drago wrote:Lady Whirlwind, Opium Trail, Man From Hong Kong, One Armed Boxer, The Chase, When Tae Kwon Do Strikes etc.
Do they own the rights to these?

HKL have all but given us on old school, they even sold off some they couldn't remaster to the level they're happy with.
Ivan Drago wrote:And why do they keep licencing new crap films?
Agreed. Simple answer though: They're already in decent AV shape with extras ready and waiting.

All they really need to do is convert from Film to PAL.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

All right 3 interviews and a photo gallery but thats not much IMO.

Fair enough about Fist of Fury - it has some interviews, a location guide, new commentary and rare photos. Thats pretty good.
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:Police Assassins (Yes Madam) I think.
Ah, that's OK. I don't have that one! :D
Is "She shoots straight" decent then?
I liked it. Good old fashioned HK action.
Image
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

High Res. cover art is up for KOB, it doesn't look to be IMO -

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=60645

But ONE extra, what! (the other two don't count IMO).

* Is this the only anamorphic DVD?
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

That cover still looks shit.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

What pathetic extras! They need to find a new expert critic to do the commentaries. Tom Mes would be an excellent example but all he knows is Japanese cinema. Maybe they could hire him to do some PA Japanese film releases?
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

I agree those extras look decidely crap without the commentary.
I've never heard of Tom Mes - interesting. Most likely they'll go with Mike Leeder or Jude Powyer though (who are both rubbish).
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

grim_tales wrote:I agree those extras look decidely crap without the commentary.
I've never heard of Tom Mes - interesting. Most likely they'll go with Mike Leeder or Jude Powyer though (who are both rubbish).
He does all the commentaries for Artsmagic releases of Japanese films (he's also written books on Takashi Miike and Shinya Tsukamoto I think) and Tartan's new reportedly excellent release Tsukamoto's Vital. His commentaries are supposed to be excellent.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22166
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Thanks Eva :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

OUATIAHS details are up:

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=60413

OMG considering how feature packed ALL previous Premier Asia DVD have been this is sorely lacking. Not even Korean DTS.

I bet the price doesn't go down :| .
Last edited by bradavon on 08 Mar 2006, 15:11, edited 1 time in total.