Holy Sh*t Play have killed off HKL's website! ;-)

China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Thailand, etc
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

bradavon wrote:
romerojpg wrote:but not a chance is they cut the film (or give us a diluted international cut).
Do you get them when they're cheap for the extras?
I got Ong-bak for 6 pounds for the subtitles making off (which luckily also had the soundtrack intact), but havent watched the main feature yet. Tried to, but the new music, especially in the market chase sequence, just really ruined it for me. That scene NEEDS that cool music. The new track doesnt really fit that sequence. Supposedly the new track suits the finale better, but havent watched that yet.

I wish I was an expert in montaging DVDs and video and shit: I'd take the Thai soundtrack and the PA video and make my own DVD...
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

I'm sure MWIAG is coming this year. That recent list is an HKL not PA list.
sky75
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 273
Joined: 09 Nov 2005, 13:04

Post by sky75 »

Brad, There's nothing about it on the Premiere Asia Web site
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Is there ever?

My bad I was thinking of this which has the cover art but it now nearly a year old:

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=56964

"Once Upon A Time In High School" was due in August 2005 and is finally coming in April so it shouldn't be to much longer. I reckon by the end of the year.

I really hope I'm wrong about "Once Upon A Time In High School" not having DTS and only a single disc release. The current spec. looks worryingly limited for a PA DVD of a recent Korean film.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Does anyone bother posting at the HKL forums anymore? I've not for months.

It's pretty useless as they don't use it to let us know early info or even discuss issues fans have with their discs, hear feedback that kind of thing.
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!
Posts: 2380
Joined: 16 Mar 2005, 23:05

Post by Killer Meteor »

It's the ONLY forum I've ever seen where a post has to be moderated before it goes on. The end result is lack of spontaneous communication - and half the posters there are nobodys petitioning for HKL to release Drunken Master II. I'm sorry but it's not gonna happen!
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 5577
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 15:18
Location: Where you'll never find me

Post by tom2681 »

Yeah I've stopped posting over there as well.
There's just no point. Brian and Bey are gone, trailers are crap, the website is good as dead... I've given up hope on HKL altogether.
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 8616
Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 12:46
Location: Alkmaar, Holland

Post by Yi-Long »

Same here. I would never visit a forum where they moderate posts BEFORE they are posted. Hell... I already have a problem with forums where they moderate posts AFTER they're posted. :)

HKL seems to be going down. It's a fucking shame but what can ya do about it?
They just have a lot of bad people making bad decisions over there at the moment, so I hope they'll (in with THEY I ONLY mean those responsible for the fuck ups they've done to Ong-Bak, Musa, and all those other movies which releases were fucked up by cutting/altering them) never work in this branch again.
Image
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

I just hope they give a late push to some of the goodies that have been stuck in their vaults... Peking Opera Blues, Tiger Cage, Prison on Fire, etc... as long as they don't stop to 'pinkify' TM them of course...
Image
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Markgway wrote: as long as they don't stop to 'pinkify' TM them of course...
Huh? Pinkify?
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Give the transfer a more pink/reddish look maybe?
I've stopped posting over there, whenever you try to discuss news or get inside information they say they cant tell you.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Ivan Drago wrote:It's the ONLY forum I've ever seen where a post has to be moderated before it goes on.
Yeah that's a weird one. I was hoping that would be a temporary thing I guess not.

It's hardly going to allow for some of the questions fans want answers to. LD is (or used to be) a mod I think???
Tom2681 wrote:I've given up hope on HKL altogether.
Jeez I wouldn't go that far. They're still easily one of the best HK labels out there.

I've not bought a HKL DVD for ages (bar FOF: PE, Gorgeous) but then again I used to rely on this site to find out which films are worth checking out, having not grown up on HK cinema. I still pick up the odd one.
Yi-Long wrote:Hell... I already have a problem with forums where they moderate posts AFTER they're posted. :)
To be fair if you had no one running a site it would lead to anarchy. I very much agree though many moderators get a big power trip.
grim_tales wrote:whenever you try to discuss news or get inside information they say they cant tell you.
Fat lot of point having a forum then.

I wouldn't mind if people who actually worked at HKL posted too. Like what happens at the Madman (R4) boards. They may not always listed but at least the employees gives you early heads up and respond to your feedback.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 6868
Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16

Post by gasteropod »

bradavon wrote:I've not bought a HKL DVD for ages (bar FOF: PE, Gorgeous).
Since when did HKL release Gorgeous? :P
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!
Posts: 2380
Joined: 16 Mar 2005, 23:05

Post by Killer Meteor »

I still buy from HKL and I hope that they continue to go on releasing HK classics. I just wish they had a bit more sense
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Bey Logan and Brian White used to post on the HKL boards, Scott (on ADVDG) works at HKL (I think?) or works with them or something.
Gasteropod I think Brad means "The HKL PE DVD of Fist of Fury is gorgeous" :D
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

He knew I meant that.

Ah yes Bey did but I didn't know Brian did also.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

I think Brian did.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:I very much agree though many moderators get a big power trip.
*Cough* The DVD Forums *cough*
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:I just hope they give a late push to some of the goodies that have been stuck in their vaults... Peking Opera Blues, Tiger Cage, Prison on Fire, etc... as long as they don't stop to 'pinkify' TM them of course...
Back to the pinkify question?
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Put a reddish/pinkish tint on them or remove a green tint a la "Fist" to give the film a more reddish look.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

You asked the same question yesterday how do you suddenly know? :wink:

I've not noticed HKL do it so far but I'm no purist like many here.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Eh?
I asked the same question? You did. I was telling you what Mark meant by "pinkify" :D
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

Grim's right. HKL emphasise the reddish hues on their remasters. Disappointing.
Image
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

I definitely see a question mark:
grim_tales wrote:Give the transfer a more pink/reddish look maybe?
:D

Anyway it's not important. I'd rather Mark clarify what he means.
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

Post by thelostdragon »

LOL! Seems like they're reading this forum. Or they just realised that their cover for "King of Beggars" was crap. Well, the new one still is (although I like the two Ming officers' heads popping into the frame from the lower right):

Image
Image