Mark's Questions on HD!
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
for me firstly if the BD was region locked i'd go for the hd-dvd,this would allow me to also watch on the 360 hd-dvd player. if the Blu-ray is region coded then it would come down to price. i now own more blu-ray's than hd-dvds.but having 2 ps3's in the household means the region coding can piss me off at times.
working class blu-ray fan
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
WOW that's some ratio. Are they all from a couple of companies?
Interestingly Sony only really use regional coding on North American BDs. If that continues it won't matter much, for me anyway.
I'd guess some European hacker will come up with a way to break BD regional coding but when is anyone's guess.
Interestingly Sony only really use regional coding on North American BDs. If that continues it won't matter much, for me anyway.
I'd guess some European hacker will come up with a way to break BD regional coding but when is anyone's guess.
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
Sony,Lionsgate,Fox are the main culprits.a couple of disney/miramax as well.bradavon wrote:WOW that's some ratio. Are they all from a couple of companies?
they apply it now and again on european BD. if blu-ray ever takes off properly and sees off hd-dvd,new companies will release cool region B titles so it could become a problem. dvd will far outperform both hd formats for years to come though.bradavon wrote:Interestingly Sony only really use regional coding on North American BDs. If that continues it won't matter much, for me anyway.
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
There is not resolution jump at all between 1080i and p. Its still 1080 lines.bradavon wrote:I hear not. Why do you say that? It's some increase jump in resolution.saltysam wrote:My set is a 40' 1080i set, i suspect 1080p would be minimally better but it'd be very hard to tell.
A 1080i image is interlaced and has to be downconverted to 1368x768 or whatever resolution of HD Ready TVs is too.
and
1080 is 1080, not 768 as you just said.
There is pretty much no noticable difference bwteeen 1080i and p, pretty much anyone normal would not seen anything at all in any way. Even I cannot and I am very picky.
If you had a gigantic 80 inch plasma, then you may see a differnece, anything smaller many pros cannot see anything, so you would not see anything I am sure of that.
You just said you dont see any difference between 720 and 1080, so the chances you would see the difference between i and p is pretty much not gonna happen.
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
I meant from 720p, that and 1080i is interlaced which counts for a lot. The point is a HD Ready LCD TV cannot display the same quality as a FULL HD can. Whether you can see any difference I don't know for sure, but there is enough evidence to say you can. You cannot but many can.romerojpg wrote:There is not resolution jump at all between 1080i and p. Its still 1080 lines.
Well done Mr. Obvious. That's not what I said. A HD Ready TV's native resolution is 1368x768 so either if it's 720p, 1080i or 1080p that's the resolution it will either have to upscale or downscale to.romerojpg wrote:1080 is 1080, not 768 as you just said.
A 720p resolution may not need to scale up to 1368x768 I'm not exactly sure and just display at 1280x720 but a 1920x1080 resolution will certainly have to downscale to 1368x768. It's why many HD Players look better outputting at 1080i on a HD Ready TV than at 720p. Let the TV scale down than the Player scale down.
My original sentence was very clear. I guess you don't have a clue after all.
No I said I couldn't tell any difference from Upscaling SD to 720p or 1080i. I've not seen it in 1080p and even if I had Upscaling SD to HD isn't remotely the same as a native HD image displayed at an HD resolution, you should know that.romerojpg wrote:You just said you dont see any difference between 720 and 1080, so the chances you would see the difference between i and p is pretty much not gonna happen.
Stop picking out my comments in particular, it gets boring.
There are two pages of comments yet again you've deliberately decided to pick a fight with my comments. Try adding something of benefit (such as advice on LCD TVs, you should know enough about them) than being negative.
Last edited by bradavon on 06 Dec 2007, 18:35, edited 3 times in total.
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
I do but it's not on my initial list. That's what I meant. I am going to be way more picky with HD than I ever was with DVD though.saltysam wrote:i thought you wanted Die Hard 1. that's region A coded. tbh if there are only 10 movies on blu-ray you want i'd stick with dvd
I have no action films on my initial list of 15 (except for T2), the rest being HD-DVD.
Last edited by bradavon on 06 Dec 2007, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
LOL oops. I did also say "plus the odd exception". I meant Miami Vice when I said that. I want to see the DC in HD but may end up selling that. I liked it at the cinema though.
It occurred to me with an HD Ready TV the maximum native resolution they ever support is 1368x768 meaning 1920x1080 (it being 1080i or 1080p) cannot physically display on such a TV. As such the 1920x1080 resolution will only be showing a maximum of 1368x768.
With that in mind even if Romero has tried 1080i and 1080p on his FULL HD TV (it's FULL HD right?) the only difference will be Interlaced vs. Progressive. However on a HD Ready TV things are very different, 1080i will be displayed at 1368x768 and 720p will either also be 1368x768 or it's native resolution of 1280x720. As you can see there isn't much in it on a HD Ready TV but a FULLL HD TV will be able to show the full 1920x1080 resolution a HD Ready TV simply cannot.
In short my original statement that it's sum resolution jump holds true
. 1080 is indeed 1080 at source but the problem is your HD Ready TV isn't actually displaying 1080, it's displaying 768.
Hell many people even claim they can see a difference between PAL and NTSC (I can sometimes), and the resolution increase there is minute.
720x480 - SD NTSC
720x576 - SD PAL
1280x720 - HD Ready 720p - That's sum jump
1920x1080 - FULL HD 1080p - That's an ever bigger jump again
It occurred to me with an HD Ready TV the maximum native resolution they ever support is 1368x768 meaning 1920x1080 (it being 1080i or 1080p) cannot physically display on such a TV. As such the 1920x1080 resolution will only be showing a maximum of 1368x768.
With that in mind even if Romero has tried 1080i and 1080p on his FULL HD TV (it's FULL HD right?) the only difference will be Interlaced vs. Progressive. However on a HD Ready TV things are very different, 1080i will be displayed at 1368x768 and 720p will either also be 1368x768 or it's native resolution of 1280x720. As you can see there isn't much in it on a HD Ready TV but a FULLL HD TV will be able to show the full 1920x1080 resolution a HD Ready TV simply cannot.
In short my original statement that it's sum resolution jump holds true
Hell many people even claim they can see a difference between PAL and NTSC (I can sometimes), and the resolution increase there is minute.
720x480 - SD NTSC
720x576 - SD PAL
1280x720 - HD Ready 720p - That's sum jump
1920x1080 - FULL HD 1080p - That's an ever bigger jump again
-
saltysam
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 9357
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
-
bradavon
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 24430
- Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
-
gasteropod
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 6868
- Joined: 03 Nov 2004, 18:16
-
romerojpg
- Bruce Lee's Fist
- Posts: 8520
- Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 13:12
- Location: CLOSE TO YOUR MAMMA
Yup the old NTSC and Pal thing was very, very easy to spot on all my equipment in the past and a few times here and now in the present
but it is all down to how your equipment plays the image (dvd and TV etc...).
HD is a very different matter
Yup I have Full HD TV
just wish it was 60 or 80 inches
I want more!
Mark you thinking seriously about getting a new TV (you need one?), or just making the enquiries for when you make that new purchasein the future
HD is a very different matter
Yup I have Full HD TV
Mark you thinking seriously about getting a new TV (you need one?), or just making the enquiries for when you make that new purchasein the future