Cheap Kurosawa R2J's

Sell Your Stuff, and What's on Sale
Lourdes
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1994
Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 16:19

Cheap Kurosawa R2J's

Post by Lourdes »

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/search.html?ty ... =Fukyu+Ban
Also at YesAsia for $35.99 a piece shipped VAT free + 10% Quidco. Copy/paste the cat # into their search box.

Any other Kurosawa/quality fans want to dig in and see how the R2J's rate? I went for Sanjuro and if it's decent I'll get Yojimbo. Sorely tempted by The Hidden Fortress and Red Beard too so I'll have to stay sober in case I spend my monies.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Aren't most of them bettered by Criterion?
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:Aren't most of them bettered by Criterion?
You mean the Criterions that are contrast-boosted and cropped to hell like Sanjuro and Yojimbo? Perhaps Ran which has a over-manipulated warm colour scheme? Or even the ones with inferior new sub translations like the Seven Samurai 3-discer?
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Those Japanese DVDs are cheap? Pfff.
Lourdes
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1994
Joined: 08 Jan 2005, 16:19

Post by Lourdes »

bradavon wrote:Aren't most of them bettered by Criterion?
Hah.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

EvaUnit02 wrote:You mean the Criterions that are contrast-boosted and cropped to hell like Sanjuro and Yojimbo? Perhaps Ran which has a over-manipulated warm colour scheme? Or even the ones with inferior new sub translations like the Seven Samurai 3-discer?
Do you mean the Japanese DVDs with no English subs or extras? I know you won't be getting the Japanese DVDs for the first reason alone.

It all depends what you classify as "better". Yep I'd say the Criterion's IMO (and most peoples) are the way to go. I agree about Ran though. I own that but should've picked up the much cheaper UK SE. I don't know why I went for the CC. It's still a perfectly fine DVD though, not enough reason to get the UK SE (maybe).

I didn't know about Sanjuro, Yojimbo or Seven Samurai, not that it matters to me. The competition is worse making it a null point.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

I havent actually seen the new CC 7 Samurai all the way through yet but it did look very good when i glanced at it.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Do you have the old CC to compare? I presume the subs are still fine even though they maybe inferior. Even then if the package is otherwise much better then I don't give a shit.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22164
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

I used to have it, not anymore. I only watched a bit but its miles better than the old Criterion in terms of its look IMO.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Yet according to Eva it's to be avoided :roll:
User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14

Post by Shingster »

Sadly no English subtitles on pretty much all these releases. Something tells me there's probably little more than 2 people who read these boards who are prepared to fork out 3800yen on these titles.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Personally I can't be arsed to buy DVDs without English subs, if needed. All I want to do is watch the movie not source English subs off the web and create my own DVD. Even though that is in fact relatively simple.