What Have You Just Seen... Marks Out of 5

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

I make Shu Qi lie all the time then...
Image
User avatar
brooce-leroy
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1279
Joined: 28 Dec 2004, 14:52

Post by brooce-leroy »

The Exorcist 3/5 (version I had never previously seen)

Quite unexpectedly funny in places. Some scenes reminded me of Scary Movie 2. :lol:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

@ Mark :D
User avatar
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 20194
Joined: 18 Feb 2005, 02:04

Post by Markgway »

brooce-leroy wrote:Quite unexpectedly funny in places.
:!:
Image
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

thelostdragon wrote:I think in Cantonese, "Lai" means "come"...
I didn't know that :)
Last edited by grim_tales on 24 Oct 2007, 10:25, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

Arsenal v Slavia Prague: 7-0: 5/5

:notworthy: :o :notworthy:
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

bradavon wrote:
grim_tales wrote:"Lai" sounds like "Lie" ;)
What an ignorant Western comment to make.
Eh?
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

End of Days: 3.5/5

Cheesy, to be sure - but really rather enjoyable. Though revisiting this after so long (hadn't seen it since its release), it feels less a typical action film (though Arnie is his usual self) more like a religious/supernatural thriller with Arnie plonked in the middle. The crafty timing of the original cinema release (late 1999) probably helped the film. Gabriel Byrne is fun, hamming it up :lol:
It does put me in mind of similar films though (Crimson Rivers, Devil's Advocate, Stigmata etc).
User avatar
brooce-leroy
Royal Tramp
Posts: 1279
Joined: 28 Dec 2004, 14:52

Post by brooce-leroy »

Markgway wrote:
brooce-leroy wrote:Quite unexpectedly funny in places.
:!:
I know I shouldn't find it funny, but it's all Scary Movie 2's fault. I found the bits where possessed Regan is all potty mouthed, and also the scene where she is doing the thing with her tongue to be funny. Sorry.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9150
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 14:39
Location: Wellywood, Kiwiland

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - 2nd Gig - 4.25/5
As densely-plotted and almost as thoroughly well written as the first season, but not as cohesive. The antagonists and their ultimate motives were revealed too early in the plot IMO. The story of 1st season was utterly enthralling, making you want to see the next episode to help further unravel the mystery of the Laughing Man and the massive political conspiracy. 2nd Gig's story just was far more cut and dry - not as interesting TBH.

Other than that production was top notch. The entire series oozes Kamiyama's natural talent for direction - scenes are perfectly edited to another fantastic Yoko Kanno score.
User avatar
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 4140
Joined: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14

Post by Shingster »

brooce-leroy wrote:I know I shouldn't find it funny, but it's all Scary Movie 2's fault. I found the bits where possessed Regan is all potty mouthed, and also the scene where she is doing the thing with her tongue to be funny. Sorry.
I remember back when it got a theatrical re-release in the late 90's (or was it early 00's?) here in this country, almost everyone in the showing I attended was laughing at the "doctor/pyschiatrist" insulting & ball-breaking scene. Their is a certain inevitable naivety to some of The Exorcist's "edgy" scenes that makes it hard for today's much less easily shocked audiences to quite get into the right frame of mind to receive as the filmmakers originally intended.

I too laughed at some of the scenes on my initial viewing of The Exorcist, but I no longer laugh at any of those scenes whenever I dust my DVD off for my yearly Halloween viewing.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Except for the Spider scene The Exorcist is no longer scary but it is creepy. Funnily enough I was going to watch my Extended Cut soon too. I don't think it's the classic most do.

The spider scene is decent but I don't like the added dodgy CGI.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

You seen End of Days, Brad?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

Nope. It always looked Arnie Lite.
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

Post by thelostdragon »

Has anybody watched "Magnificent Bodyguards"? I tried, I really tried and I call myself a die-hard JC fan.

Ben-Hur - 4/5
Wow! That's great filmmaking. But why have this crucifying scene at the end of the film? It had nothing to do with the initial theme of the film and it felt like the filmmakers wanted to show the American audience that people in Hollywood are good Christians, too.
Image
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

bradavon wrote:Nope. It always looked Arnie Lite.
Yep. Arnie lite seems fair enough to me!
Which version did you see LD, 1925 or 1959 version?

LD I think I saw "Magnificent Bodyguards" and quite enjoyed it. Is that the one where Jackie learns kung fu from two people a kind lady called "Five Plums" and the bad guy who killed his father?
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

World Trade Center (hd-dvd) 3/5

Decent account of two cops trapped in the rubble of the twin towers after 9/11, how it affects their wives & kids and also focuses on the heroic rescue attempts to save them.good performances all round,quite restrained for an Oliver Stone film i thought.

Smokin Aces 2/5

a flashy thriller full of bizarre mainly unlikeable characters,it's entertaining but it's not as good as it thinks it is.there's so many characters here it's hard to keep track.worth a watch.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

grim_tales wrote:Which version did you see LD, 1925 or 1959 version?
Crikey Grim talk about changing subject without any notice ;)

I would guess LD watched the remake.
User avatar
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165
Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK

Post by grim_tales »

I havent seen either version yet but knowing how cautious I am with silent films I'll watch the remake first.
User avatar
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 7059
Joined: 29 Oct 2004, 22:36
Location: Basin City

Post by thelostdragon »

I did indeed watch the remake.
Image
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

Kiss Kiss,Bang Bang 2.5/5

Thought i'd give this another go,my opinion hasn't changed much,still feel it's overrated.certainly watchable enough but no keeper.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

It would only be overrated in cult circles if you will. No one in the mainstream has ever heard of it.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

bradavon wrote:It would only be overrated in cult circles if you will. No one in the mainstream has ever heard of it.
of course it's a mainstream film.made by Joel Silver,a warner bros release.it just wasn't very successful despite being well reviewed.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30

Post by bradavon »

That's what I meant. I said mainstream as in the general public not mainstream film ;)
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357
Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27

Post by saltysam »

Fantastic Four 2:Rise of the Silver Surfer 2.5/5

Better than the first movie but pretty forgettable,with some surprisingly ropey looking cgi. a nice and short 90 minutes and moves along at a nice clip.pity the silver surfer character is dull as dishwater.