Non-Asian Film & Release Discussion, and Serious Film-Related Discussion
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165 Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK
Post
by grim_tales » 05 Nov 2004, 09:39
A 2 disc SE of Michael Mann's "Heat" will be released on R1 next year, Feb 22, according to DVD Debate.
Brad to Grim:
"What do you mean 'I havent even seen the "standard" R2 DVD yet'?"
[url=
http://www.dvddebate.com/modules.php?na ... =0&thold=0 ]Clicky here[/url]
Not sure what "digitally enhanced anamorphic transfer" is - does it mean they did a new transfer? :wacko:
No word on the extras as yet.
wazzabi
Jackie Chan's Little Toe
Posts: 21 Joined: 02 Nov 2004, 13:18
Post
by wazzabi » 05 Nov 2004, 12:23
Jesus Christ! About bloody time too! This is some of the best DVD news I have heard in a while as Heat is one of my favourite films. I hope that Warners will release a decent set for this.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430 Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Post
by bradavon » 05 Nov 2004, 19:05
[quote][i]Originally posted by grim_tales[/i]
Brad to Grim:
"What do you mean 'I havent even seen the "standard" R2 DVD yet'?"
[/quote]
LOL and people wonder why Bullets is so highly regarded.
DVD Times have the extras:
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=13232
I can't bloody wait. I hope the picture quality is remastered, the UK R2's PQ by today's standards could be better. It's to washed out.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165 Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK
Post
by grim_tales » 05 Nov 2004, 19:15
I'll watch it soon - promise
Do you think you'll upgrade?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430 Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Post
by bradavon » 05 Nov 2004, 20:40
Yep definitely. I traded my R2 to buy this.
I came very close to buying the Japanese DTS DVD when I heard about this.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165 Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK
Post
by grim_tales » 06 Nov 2004, 08:13
You'd think Warner would put DTS on the new SE though, dont Warner support DTS? :wacko:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430 Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Post
by bradavon » 06 Nov 2004, 08:45
[quote][i]Originally posted by grim_tales[/i]
dont Warner support DTS? :wacko: [/quote]
Nope. End of discussion as far as WB are concerned.
You'll only see it on a few select titles where they act as publisher rather than developer & publisher and often these are only R1 too.
But then again look at how many titles MGM and Paramount have included DTS on! It's not coming on the Matrix SE DVDs which would be the number 1 reason to include it.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165 Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK
Post
by grim_tales » 06 Nov 2004, 09:36
I might get The Matrix SE if they were being released seperatly Brad.
40 quid is a lot to pay for one decent (OK very good) movie
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430 Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Post
by bradavon » 06 Nov 2004, 13:32
[quote][i]Originally posted by grim_tales[/i]
I might get The Matrix SE if they were being released seperatly Brad. [/quote]
I'd definitely get the first if they release it seperately. The other two are utter tosh!
Unrealnils
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 278 Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 15:05
Post
by Unrealnils » 24 Nov 2004, 16:08
Grim go watch heat now or i will ban you from this board !
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165 Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK
Post
by grim_tales » 24 Nov 2004, 16:14
Gonna have to be tomorrow, I'm out tonight (watching the Arse-PSV game).
[Edited on 24-11-2004 by grim_tales]
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430 Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Post
by bradavon » 24 Nov 2004, 20:40
LOL a mod banning a mod.
Grim you're off to watch an arse game. Why would you want to play a crap game?
[quote][i]Originally posted by grim_tales[/i]
Not sure what "digitally enhanced anamorphic transfer" is - does it mean they did a new transfer? :wacko:
[/quote]
I wouldn't assume that, it merely says it's digital (well durh it's a DVD) and it's anamorphic (which we really knew anyway).
It doesn't say "new" anywhere either.
[Edited on 25-11-2004 by bradavon]
Unrealnils
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 278 Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 15:05
Post
by Unrealnils » 25 Nov 2004, 00:52
HAH im a super moderater though :w00t:
Unrealnils
Pedicab Driver
Posts: 278 Joined: 26 Oct 2004, 15:05
Post
by Unrealnils » 01 Feb 2005, 00:14
you seen this yet grim
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 9357 Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 18:27
Post
by saltysam » 27 Feb 2005, 13:28
apparently it's used the previous transfer acording to reports
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165 Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK
Post
by grim_tales » 05 Mar 2005, 13:04
Brad I see you have the R1 SE of Heat in your collection (Profiler), how did you find the transfer? Was it the same one as the old release?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430 Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Post
by bradavon » 06 Mar 2005, 13:50
saltysam wrote: apparently it's used the previous transfer acording to reports
It looks better to my eyes but I traded the original months ago.
It doesn't look hugely better though and could still be better. Still the extras are tops. I'd recommend it.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165 Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK
Post
by grim_tales » 22 Mar 2005, 16:36
Brad does it have DTS? According to Play's specs the R2 doesnt (or won't) have DTS
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430 Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Post
by bradavon » 22 Mar 2005, 22:47
ONLY the Japanese DVD has DTS (not a WB title).
WB don't support DTS so no the R1 and nor the R2 (any of them except Japanese of course) will have DTS.
You need to decide between DTS and a high price tag or a fair price tag and some decent extras. I'd prefer the latter.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 22165 Joined: 25 Oct 2004, 17:34
Location: St. Albans, UK
Post
by grim_tales » 23 Mar 2005, 19:36
OK fair enough.
I'm watching Heat now BTW (finally!)
If I like it I'll probably get the SE.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430 Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Post
by bradavon » 29 Mar 2005, 18:27
According to DVD Beaver they're the same but to me the SE has the edge, only slightly though. It's a bit sharper:
http://www.compare.dvdbeaver.com/film/D ... 8/heat.htm
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist
Posts: 24430 Joined: 27 Oct 2004, 19:30
Post
by bradavon » 03 May 2005, 11:50
I noticed the UK R2 SE today and it said 1.85:1 on the back cover. It's probably a mistake but worth mentioning.